Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Coffee...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:16 pm 
Gorilla

To me, its a drug (in this sense) if it affects your mentals.

At any rate, seems to me that there is information to either help you quit the coffee (as I wanted to do, and others want to do) or, to defend your consumption. When it boils down to it, make the choice you feel is right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:29 pm 
Stegosaurus

I gave up caffeine years ago and I honestly feel much better because of it. I sleep better at night. I agree with octo on the vega sport. I will occasionally use that if I need it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:41 pm 
Rabbit

Jason X wrote:
When it boils down to it, make the choice you feel is right.

I couldn't agree with you more on that.

Jason X wrote:
He said the following, which I took as truth, because its what I needed to hear regardless of truth.

Jason X wrote:
seems to me that there is information to either help you quit the coffee...or, to defend your consumption.

However, I disagree with your pragmatist definition of truth. Yes, one can twist information to support or oppose a certain viewpoint, but that fact does not bear on the question whether there isn't a reality to things (including coffee) that transcends the various viewpoints.

Moderation in all things still seems to me to be the best policy. I feel that when something is exercising control over you and you feel like it is interfering with your ability to be the best person you can be, you should either scale back or quit. As you indicated, that is a very personal decision.

Quote:
To me, its a drug (in this sense) if it affects your mentals.

I asked about what a drug was because sometimes I feel like the definition of drug is "something bad which affects me when ingested," whereas food, herb, or medicine is "something good which affects me when ingested."

Pretty much anything we eat and drink affects our physical and mental states in one way or another; I prefer not to make arbitrary moralistic distinctions between ingestants, but to judge each on its merits and how it is affecting my life, body, mind, and soul. That's why I definitely agree with you that "when it boils down to it, make the choice you feel is right."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:49 pm 
Elephant

chrisjs wrote:
It kicks up your metabolism but also decreases insulin sensitivity. Not sure there's ever been any studies weighing the two effects but as long as you're not downing a few pastries along with your coffee I bet it's a net positive.

Damn I had forgotten all about this. When you wrote this I dug up some studies and I think you have misunderstood some crucial things. Coffee increases insulin sensitivity and has shown great protection against type 2 diabetes while isolated and added caffeine (think coke and pre workout stuff) decreases insulin sensitivity.

Coffee rules, I just had some. It was great!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:38 am 
Rabbit

Naturally decaf coffee is fine for you. There are some good coffee substitutes out there (well I haven't tried them since I'm gluten intolerant and they all have barley). Pero and Teccino are the most popular. You should be able to find them at whole foods or on amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:41 am 
Rabbit

ah, you already mentioned herbal coffee. my bad ><

pero has an instant version.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:05 pm 
Rabbit

well, even though I said I wasn't gonna do it earlier... I'm going to try giving it up (again). I'm only worried about how my circulation (or whatever the heck is going on) is going to react. And trust me, I've been to a doctor...countless times...for my issue with my hands and feet. For some reason when I quit coffee last time, my hands and feet would swell up and get painful. And they do do this occasionally without coffee, but coffee seems to minimize it for whatever reason. I'm obviously active, and I don't smoke cigarettes, so I can't think of what else I could do to help the problem....especially without knowing the cause (the doctors have no clue...how reassuring, isn't it?)

I've just been getting more and more into the idea of treating my body as I would if I were not part of a modern society...if I were in nature, and coffee is definitely not something you'd be sipping on in the forest lol :)

I also want as good as digestion as I can achieve since I've struggled my whole life with it, so I'm going to start doing that by trying not to toxify my body with stuff...

Anyway... there's no telling how it's going to go, but here's to hoping for the best! cold turkey, that's the way I do things :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:25 pm 
Elephant

medman wrote:
Jason X wrote:
also. see this:
http://www.naturalnews.com/012352.html

excerpt:

Everybody "knows" that caffeine makes you more alert and clearheaded. Think again. A cup of coffee gives you a wakeup jolt because it triggers a stress response. Your adrenal glands are prompted to kick out the same stress hormones that are released when you perceive an external threat or danger. Your muscles tense, your blood sugar elevates for extra energy, your pulse and respiration rates speed up, and your state of alertness increases so you're ready to wrestle with or run from environmental dangers. You may be only sitting at your table or desk drinking a cup of coffee, but your body doesn't know that. It's preparing for action.

The Memory Solution by Dr Julian Whitaker, page 261

I'm not so sure about this. Ephedrine works this way, by causing your adrenals to release larger amounts of catecholamines (adrenaline and noradrenaline). Caffeine basically works by enhancing the action of the normal amount of adrenaline that you produce (it inhibits the breakdown of the second messengers produced in response to adrenaline).

There have been studies which show doctors make fewer mistakes on long shifts when they take caffeine. There have also been studies which showed benefit to weight lifters. Caffeine is a tool which can have significant benefits, but it can also cause physical dependence. It's a double-edged sword.

I don't read Natural News because most of it is BS. I mean, just because it says "Dr." in front of his name, doesn't mean he has credentials to say such things. Is this guy even an MD? For all we know he could have gotten a doctorate in geology or something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm 
Rabbit

I drink a ton of coffee but the vegan restaurant that I work at sells "Teeccino" and it is a great substitute if you need something similar to ween yourself from coffee. http://www.teeccino.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 am 
Elephant

Why would people ever quit drinking coffee? It tastes good, has pretty good health effects and freaking rules. I'm high on coffee right now!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:41 am 
Elephant

I gave up coffee for one year and I never got over the headaches and insomnia. Going back to coffee was the best thing I ever did!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:01 pm 
Rabbit

mmmmmmmmmmm...... juice of the gods.... coffee......... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:19 pm 
Stegosaurus

I never used to be able to drink coffee at all. I can now handle about an inch high amount in a cup. If I drink much more I feel wiped out a little bit later, light headed and it hurts my stomach.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:56 am 
Elephant

getting ready to have a cup of delicious chocolaty medium dark locally microroasted fair trade with a few drops of unsweetened vanilla soy milk. it's gonna be soooo good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 am 
Elephant

vivalasvegans wrote:
Jason X wrote:
He said that coffee will make you weak ... it will make you stupid and useless without it, ...you get stupid and weak.

i fucking love coffee. pour me another big cup of of that stupid useless weakness.

That's how I feel about it. I love the taste of coffee. The caffeine doesn't affect me much. I decided to try giving it up to see if it would have any kind of effect--I've been drinking it pretty much daily since I was a teen 23 years ago, so I don't really know what life without coffee is like! Anyway, I gave it up for a month or two and felt no difference. As I love it so much, I decided I'd keep drinking it as it has no noticable affect. I don't rely on it for energy or to get through slumps or anything. I do know that it is most likely having an effect on my body that I'm not noticing, but I just figure as my life is not improved in any noticeable way by giving it up, why bother? I don't drink it every single day any more, though--more like a few times a week, some weeks less often than others.