coroho's strength training log

3/27/10

BW: 163.6

Squats: 102kg 4,3,3

OHPress: 40kg 3x5

Deadlift: 102kg 1x5

Chinups: 5,3,3,3

Squats: Felt pretty good, now past the mental barrier of two plates I think.

Press: 15 solid reps. Form felt pretty dialed in today.

Deadlift: Still pretty light but gave me some trouble. No shoulder pain though.

Chinups: Been neglecting these and my numbers have suffered.

I need to start eating right again. As you can see from my weight, I've been slacking lately and I think it's def. affecting my workouts.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3/29/10

Squats: 102kg 5,4,5

Bench Press: 66kg 5,5,~2

Hang Cleans: 30kg 5x3

Squats: Only missed one rep. I think SS says to go on in this case, but I'm not sure. This strong dude at my gym complimented my progress before my third set (and after), think it might have given me the motivation to push through

Bench Press: Deload on a deload? WTF. The warmup sets were the easiest sets in the world, but once I got working weight it was a struggle. One disadvantage to depending on spotters is when one spots you by assisting every rep. Happened on my third set, but I don't think I would have got it anyway.

Hang Cleans: The advice I got last time helped a lot. It's starting to feel like it looks when people have good form, tho I'm sure it's nowhere near that yet. I'm also jumping naturally rather than deliberately.

Will I ever start doing assistance work again? Apparently my bench could use it.

3/31/10

Squats: 104kg 5,4,3

OHPress: 42.5kg 3x5

Deadlift: 106.5kg 1x5

Pullups: 3,3,4,1

I've been pretty good about my eating and sleep again lately, but I only got 5 hours last night. Think it fucked me on my squats, but I also think I can get it on Sat. judging from today. Press was hard.. barely got the last set, but back to attempting 45kg next time. Gonna slowly build back up on deadlift, I think. My form feels better but I might decide it needs more work.

4/05/10

BW: 166.1

Squats: 104kg 4,5,4

Bench Press: 59kg 3x5

Dips: 10,10,6

Squats: 13/15 reps, time to move on again. Had some encouragement on the second set and barely missed the third. Pretty happy with these considering I missed a WO day.

Bench Press: Deloaded and it still wasn't easy, but oh well.

Hang Cleans: Felt about the same as last time. Gonna start adding weight and get someone to check my form again.

Dips: Added these back in, hopefully I can keep it up. My numbers didn't suffer too much considering I hadn't done them in a month.

Yeah, missed Saturday cause I had a friend in town and stuff. It's really pretty hard to get my motivation back after missing a day, but I feel awesome now.

4/7/10

Squats: 106.5kg 5,1

OHPress: 45kg 3,4,3

Deadlift: 111kg 1x5

Chinups: 6,4,3,3

Squats: I was thinking of taking it light today, I only went for it cause my warm up sets felt so strong. I just wasn't feeling it once I got done with that first set though. I tried to force a second but barely even got the first rep. Gonna rest up and try it for real on Saturday.

OHP: Worse than last time at this weight. I used american + kilo weights this time, probably go back to just using kilos next time (think it's like .2kg lighter lol).

Deadlift: Warmup sets were much easier than they have been. Working set was pretty hard but I was able to use double overhand.

Chinups: +2 improvement from last time.

Gonna run out of BCAAs soon, but I just ordered some protein powder rather than reup. I like them but I think it's more important that I get enough protein each day, which some days I haven't been and most days just barely. Thinking I'll go for creatine next (on top of the protein).

4/10/10

BW: 164.6

Squats: 195lbx5, 200x5, 205x5

Bench Press: 61kg 3x5

Hang Cleans: 32.5kg 5x3

Dips: 10,8,7

Squats: Got to 195 (88kg) in my warmup sets and it was just really heavy, so I was going to make that my working set. Then I decided I shouldn't be a total pussy and just added 5 lbs to the next couple sets.

Bench Press: Felt pretty good today.

Hang Cleans: Wasn't anybody around to critique my form, so I just went ahead with 'em.

Dips: -1 from last time, but I was using a different dipping station that I think felt better.

So I've been hovering around this weight for a while and I think I'm ok with it. My gut seems to be going down and I'm still getting bigger/stronger when I'm eating enough (I wasn't really the last two days). Need to just stay consistent with it and as long as my numbers are going up I'll be happy for now.

Thanks guys. I just realized my squat is approaching 1.5BW (would be 112kg), hadn't even been paying attention to that lately. Maybe I can get it in the next month or so. Rob, I was using True Protein's BCAAs but I found out later they were in fact not vegan. That's part of the reason I didn't reorder any, all the vegan brands are way expensive.

4/12/10

Squats: 106.5kg 3,2,0

Press: 45kg 5,3,3

Deadlift: 113.5kg 1x5

Pullups: 3,3,2

Damn, I don't know what happened to the me that was turning out squat PRs the last couple of weeks. I thought they felt weak today, but one of my gym buddies said he saw a set and they looked strong. Maybe I'm just underestimating myself/bitching out. OHP was better than last time but still not really close. Deadlift felt good. It was really heavy but I powered thru it nicely. Pullups were shit. Might have to start throwing in some negatives or something.

4/12/10

Squats: 106.5kg 3,2,0

Press: 45kg 5,3,3

Deadlift: 113.5kg 1x5

Pullups: 3,3,2

Damn, I don't know what happened to the me that was turning out squat PRs the last couple of weeks. I thought they felt weak today, but one of my gym buddies said he saw a set and they looked strong. Maybe I'm just underestimating myself/bitching out. OHP was better than last time but still not really close. Deadlift felt good. It was really heavy but I powered thru it nicely. Pullups were shit. Might have to start throwing in some negatives or something.

Haha, "bitching out". I know what you mean. Sometimes the only explanation for why I fail a set is that my mind wasn't fully committed to it. Don't let it get you down! You've made such impressive squat gains, I'm sure you'll be able to destroy it next time.

What are you weighing these days? And are your pullups weighted or BW?

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to try putting more of an emphasis on sleep for a while and see if that helps. I usually lay down so I'd get 8 hours but it takes me a while to fall asleep and whatever. Weight: I've been hovering around 165 for the past month or so, but it feels like my body composition is improving. Pullups are bodyweight. I used to hit close to 10 a set but at one point I made a switch to full ROM (touching my chest to the bar) and they got a lot harder. I expected that but I wasn't expecting it to take so long to get back up there! Well, I've also been less than consistent with the assistance lifts.

4/14/10

Squats: 106.5kg 5,5,4

Bench Press: 63.5kg 3x5

Hang Cleans: 35kg 5x3

Dips: 12,9,6

I was thinking about today's squats all day and when I finally got to the gym I nailed 'em. I was concentrating on lifting my upper body rather than the weight which I think helped me focus my strength more. Bench press was on par. Had someone watch my cleans again and I think I overcorrected from what I was doing last time. I narrowed my stance some on his recommendation and I think that helped a bit. Need some more work though.

Haha medman, so you did. Thanks guys.

4/17/10

BW: 164.8

Squats: 195lbs 1x5, 205 2x5

OHPress: 45kg 5,3,4

Deadlift: 116kg 1x5

Chinups: 6,4,4

Went light on squats again cause my body wasn't really feeling it. It's hard squatting heavy every day. Gonna have to deload on OHP again, probably microload back up. Deadlift set was really hard. Very close to not getting the last rep. One extra chinup this time, I was pretty tired from the DLs though.

4/19/10

Squats: 84kg 3x5

Bench Press: 66kg 4,4,3

Dips: 10,9,8

Went light on the squats cause I had some sort of pain in my inside left thigh. Doesn't feel like much and it's different than the one I had before, I'm thinking it should go away soon. Bench press... damnit. I thought I'd discovered how to push again last time. Though the dips were a struggle too so maybe it was just an off day. Plus not getting amped from a good set of squats. That and I only got like 3k cals yesterday. I'm going to try to start eating over 4000 cals again per xCx suggestion, maybe gain some weight. Doesn't feel like I'm being very productive after a day like today.

4/21/10

Squats: 109kg 1x3

Press: 40kg 3x5

Deadlift: 116kg 1x5

Pullups: 4,4,3+1

My leg got kind of sore again last night, and I honestly couldn't tell if it was sore again today so I decided I'd take it light on squats unless I was gonna be able to get the 3x5. Which I didn't, so I just left it at that. Experimented with leaving the bar on my delts between OHP reps instead of over my head. Little harder, but it made it easier to stay tight. Repeated the deadlift weight cause it gave me so much trouble last time, but it was easy today. Maybe cause I didn't squat. Improved on pullups, I'll take it. Eating is getting back up there.

4/24/10

BW: 165.4

Squats: 102kg 3x5

Bench Press: 66kg 3x5

Dips: 12,10,9

Finally a good Saturday workout. Leg is fine again but I didn't go all out squatting cause it'd been awhile since a max effort day. Finally got this bench press weight again. I was a little worried after the first set but the next two weren't as hard. Hang cleans I think I'm doing it right? I dunno. This is the second time in a row I meant to start weighting my dips but forgot lol. Already wrote it in my log for next time.

4/26/10

Squats: 104kg 1x3,1x1

OHPress: 41kg 3x5

Deadlift: 118kg 1x5

Chinups: 6,6,3

Ugh, felt like I was hit by a ton of bricks in my sleep last night. One result being this weird pain in my chest which faded thruout the day, but was brought back by squats so I laid off those. Did the majority of OHP reps like last time. If I don't start doing it all the time, I think it's at least good practice on deloads. Got deadlift but will probably repeat it. Was hard and my form wasn't that great on the last rep. Improved on chinups, probably could've got a couple more on the first set if I'd really gone to failure.

4/28/10

Squats: 104kg 5,5,2

Bench Press: 68kg 4,3,5

Dips: 1x5, 1x5 +10lb

Squats: Pretty damn hard. I think I failed the 3rd set cause the 2nd one took so much out of me.

Bench Press: Damnit. I got 5 on the last set cause I went up to it pissed off at failing, lol.

Hang Cleans: Had my buddy check it out again, fixed my previous problems I just need to get it in sync now.

Dips: Shoulder kind of hurt on the bench press so I didn't wanna push it. I don't think I even would've got 3x5 +10lb though.

5/1/10

BW:165.5

Squats: 104kg 5,3

Press: 42kg 3x5

Deadlift: 100kg 1x5

Man I don't even know wtf I'm doing. I think I'm going to take a light week/week off and see if I can't approach this more seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

5/10/10

BW: 163.8lbs

Squats: 95kg 3x5

Bench Press: 63.5kg 3x5

Back at it. Squats were hard as fuck today, probably cause I was eating at leisure during the last week (so like 3k calories a day). Bench press went pretty good, was hard but I didn't feel like I was going to fail. Went lighter on hang cleans cause I figured out how to do them a little differently and was experimenting. Gonna up my calories for real now.