Fitness certification?

I was certified through a school specifically for personal training - NPTI. I actually did most of it in the Boston area, Waltham to be exact. Look up their site, I highly recommend the Boston school. The teachers there are amazing. Much more so than the Chicago school I transferred to. Other than that, look into NASM, ACSM, NSCA, ISSA or ACE. At least around Illinois, they are the best known. Might be different for Boston, I didn't spend enough time there to find out.

I was certified through a school specifically for personal training - NPTI. I actually did most of it in the Boston area, Waltham to be exact. Look up their site, I highly recommend the Boston school. The teachers there are amazing. Much more so than the Chicago school I transferred to. Other than that, look into NASM, ACSM, NSCA, ISSA or ACE. At least around Illinois, they are the best known. Might be different for Boston, I didn't spend enough time there to find out.

Too funny--I used to live in Waltham. I live closer to Boston now.

I'll check them out, and thanks!

I got mine through ACE and ISSA.

I've heard from others that ACE is "the standard". They seem pretty pricey though...

It is. I got my ISSA First, but I was tired of explaining to people what it was, and that it is indeed accredited. No matter where you go, you'll be spending a pretty penny.

I like how the ISSA went through the department of education for its accreditation. I plan on getting my NSCA-CSCS cert once I get the extra cash together to take the test and join the organization. That is basically the de facto sports performance cert. Most college and professional level strength coaches hold one.

If you talk to them, tell them Jacob the vegan sent you.

I did and they remember you! They had an open house this past Sat--nice timing, huh?

Anyhow, definitely going to look into it but need to wait until finances chill out (basement flood took me for all I had D:)

If you talk to them, tell them Jacob the vegan sent you.

I did and they remember you! They had an open house this past Sat--nice timing, huh?

Anyhow, definitely going to look into it but need to wait until finances chill out (basement flood took me for all I had D:)

Awesome. Again, I highly recommend them. I wish I'd been able to spend my whole time in school there, instead of transferring to Chicago.

I went through NASM. From what I saw, it required the most understanding of the body and nutrition, including requirements for certifications in CPR and defibrillator training. The others didn't seem as "science intense" or completely anal about this stuff, which is why I chose NASM.

I may argue that ISSA does require CPR/AED, and first aid.

And most gyms won't let you make nutritional observations on clients unless you have a degree in nutrition, not just part of your certificate.

Yes, I am a C.O.R.F.I.T. graduate and I can recommend you the program with all my heart:) You will learn interesting things and the team is very friendly (not vegan though ). I don't know if it's offered in Boston. I know there are classes in Montreal, New York I think and other parts of the US. Check the website at www.corfit.com

I went through NASM. From what I saw, it required the most understanding of the body and nutrition, including requirements for certifications in CPR and defibrillator training. The others didn't seem as "science intense" or completely anal about this stuff, which is why I chose NASM.

I may argue that ISSA does require CPR/AED, and first aid.

And most gyms won't let you make nutritional observations on clients unless you have a degree in nutrition, not just part of your certificate.

NASM isn't any more science intense than the NSCA either. I went through the NSCA already, and my current college program uses NASM texts and certs. The information is very similar. You could probably damned near pass one test by reading the text for the other. I think most of the information is the same, at least throughout the ISSA, NSCA, NASM, ACE and ACSM. I think they all require CPR/AED certs.

• 2 months later...

My personal trainer cert is from NCSF. The National Council on Strength and Fitness. The course is also approved for college credit.

It was very cheap...or shall I say, inexpensive compared to the others I researched. It was accepted by both my gym jobs. Xsport accepted it...and now the University of Chicago.(I am a pt at the gym on campus.)