Soy/Whey Testosterone study

Zack

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think I had a soy rage condition similar to what DV was describing years ago. I was at my lifting peak at that time. Thanks soy! I have a keen interest in the ladies and all my stuff works like it should. so yeah...I've transitioned away from soy isolates for the most part, I don't feel as good when I consume them frequently. Maybe that's just psychological though.

From what I have seen of the soy hysteria, protein powders would seem to be the worst, so if those do not have adverse effects natural soy foods are less likely too.

I was perusing a forum I usually no longer read. A nutrition major who has been vegan and taking large amounts of soy protein powder daily for two years ( about 170 grams )went to his doctor and insisted on having blood work for all of the boogey man substances people try to scare vegans with.

All of his nutrients were high.

His estrogen levels were low normal for a man his age.

His testosterone levels were high normal for a man his age.

Years ago when such things still worried me I got PMed a similar account from a middle aged weight lifting buff who went and had his hormones measured after years of heavily hitting the soy. Sure enough, everything came back normal.

It isn't the best thing in the world to eat extracts instead of whole foods, nor is it good to not get variety. However, I think the anti-soy stuff is hype.

Soy Beans.....yes, even the straight beans taste great. They are a wealth of nutrition beyond just protein. They are also CHEAP and CHEAP compared to foods offering similar level of individual nutrients. Soy is a real threat to livestock and dairy producers, both of which have loads of money to fund FUD.

I have tempeh, soy beans, or tofu 2-3 times a week.

I am going to enjoy them from now on without any doubt.

Yeah, I agree with you generally, though I have to say that I think GM soy is a different thing entirely. I read a few studies and it appears that the protein molecules get all twisted up and messed around when they genetically modify them and that makes them extremely hard to digest. Obviously, things which are extremely hard to digest are not a good idea to eat on a regular basis. However, that said, I dont see a problem with eating non GM soy and it's what I normally take as its currently the only non-animal protein available in Spain. I haven't had any problems with it and I do like the taste, but I haven't had noticable results and I have also been concerned about the way they pack artificial sweetners and flavours into it!! I dont know if its the same in the US but here, every soy protein powder is full of other nasties! Well, to combat that, I've finally got a group of people together from my gym, who eat meat, but are willing to go in on a bulk shipment for pea protein from the UK and that's gonna work out at less than 10 euros a kilo so I'm very happy! I like to combine my proteins and as I take soy milk, soy yoghurt, soy cream, textured soya protein etc in my everyday diet, well I don't want to take soy protein supplements too! I've read, and I'm sure that you know better than I do, that soy has an inhibitor of a certain amino acid (not sure which one off hand) which is very important for muscle growth...from what I've read, pea protein however, has a much better amino acid profile..anyway I'll let you know how I get on with the pea protein But to sum up, I dont think soy is bad for your health, just personally, it hasn't delivered results for me.

• 3 months later...
I've read, and I'm sure that you know better than I do, that soy has an inhibitor of a certain amino acid (not sure which one off hand) which is very important for muscle growth...

Is there any truth to this claim? I've read it in some articles a couple of times, but I'm not sure whether it's true or not.

Is there any truth to this claim? I've read it in some articles a couple of times, but I'm not sure whether it's true or not.

Found the answer myself:

Soy and anti-nutrients: Trypsin inhibitors? Phytic acid? No, these aren't characters from the new Shrek movie. These are anti-nutrients found in soy foods. The good news is that they're deactivated by cooking and fermentation. So, consumed cooked and fermented soy foods won't inhibit protein and mineral absorption.

Also, phytic acid may have anti-cancer properties.

Source: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/soy_whats_the_big_deal

• 1 month later...

This is bullshit, I don't even trust most of the studies done in the U.S. on Soy. It's corporate America, they tell you what makes them money, for years they have been telling us milk makes your bones stronger, well why the hell are so many many women getting diagnosed with osteoporosis. Why are so many women needing hip replacements now. Bullshit, look at the studies done in U.K at Oxford university. All the estrogen they pump into beef is what's giving so many boys bitch tits and making girls hit puberty at 9 or even 8. All nonsense. Soy will always be healthier than beef or milk or any other meat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"...the analytical method that is universally recognized by the FAO/WHO (1990) as well as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), United States Department of Agriculture, United Nations University (UNU) and the National Academy of Sciences when judging the quality of protein is Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score, as it is viewed as accurately measuring the correct relative nutritional value of animal and vegetable sources of protein in the diet.[12][13] Based on this method, soy protein is considered to have a similar equivalent in protein quality to animal proteins. Egg white has a score of 1.00, beef 0.92, isolated soy protein 0.92, and soy concentrate 0.99. In 1990 at an FAO/WHO meeting, it was decided that proteins having values higher than 1.0 would be rounded or "leveled down" to 1.0 as scores above 1.0 are considered to indicate that the protein contains essential amino acids in excess of the human requirements.[14]

Another measure of a protein's use in nutrition is the Biological Value scale. The Biological Value method, which dates back to 1911, relies on nitrogen retention as a measurement of protein quality. Soybean protein isolate has a biological value of 74. [15]. Whole soybean has a biological value of 96, and soy milk 91. [16]"

Straight from the Wiki's mouth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_protein#Biological_value_of_soy_protein

• 4 months later...
How about the claim that soy isn't in fact a complete protein as it has limited amounts of a couple essential amino acids? This tends to be written quite often.

I've never heard that. Check out this amino acid score - http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4389/2

It's also nearly tied with beef in the PDCAAS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCAAS#PDCAAS_value_of_protein

I do think there's some legitimate concern about the phytic acid and lectins though but both of these are nullified if you eat fermented or sprouted soy. Between Wildwood's sprouted tofu and tempeh/miso, there are lots of retail options at least for people in the states.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This is bullshit, I don't even trust most of the studies done in the U.S. on Soy. It's corporate America, they tell you what makes them money, for years they have been telling us milk makes your bones stronger, well why the hell are so many many women getting diagnosed with osteoporosis. Why are so many women needing hip replacements now. Bullshit, look at the studies done in U.K at Oxford university. All the estrogen they pump into beef is what's giving so many boys bitch tits and making girls hit puberty at 9 or even 8. All nonsense. Soy will always be healthier than beef or milk or any other meat.

The milk / dairy thing all came to light in The China Study by Dr. Colin Campbell. The baisc question asked was, "why do Chinese women who don't eat dairy not get osteoporosis whereas American woman do?"

You're right about the estrogen and hormones in meat too. If cows are injected with hormones like estrogen so they can produce more milk, etc., then it follows there will be an effect on humans. It's no different than dumping chemicals into our water supply then expecting to drink clean water.

Its really the dairy and meat industry that spread so much crap about soya in my opinion.

Phytoestrogens always get the blame, the crazy part is many other commonly ate foods contain phytoestrogens do they make everyone gay too. People really dont understand phytoestrogens either, they are weak acting estrogens which block the receptor sites up so more harmful estrogens arent absorbed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've red a lot of shit about soy, that makes boys gay, and their penis will be not enough big, and "makes you female", but it's stupid, I eat a lot of soy and I'm not gay, and I don't have any problems

Quite the contrary.

Iron overload causes testicular shrinkage, erectile dysfunction, and infertility; men eating too much meat is the primary reason why their nuts shrink... and there are millions of infertile, limp-dicked meat-eaters proving this.