1x3x175

Good Mornings:

5x12x105

Hanging Leg Raises

3x10 hanging from my hands on a pull-up bar

3x20 with my forearms resting

Various Planks

Plate pinches for each hand

Tonight is Bench Day, and tomorrow I'm going to find out my 1RM in squat.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x3x75

1x3x85

1x3x95

J & Press:

1x12x45

1x12x65

1x10x65

1x8x65

(I'm still learning proper form for this. It's kind of a weird lift. Aaaaand...my boobs get in the way.)

DB Press:

2x12x25lb dumbbells

1x10x25lb dumbbells

Dips:

1x8xBW

1x6xBW

1x4xBW

Push-Ups:

2x10

1x9

Squat Day

Squats:

1x3x135

1x3x155

One attempt at 165. I did not go all the way to parallel out of some kind of irrational fear, so I didn't count it. Then I waited about three minutes and attempted 165 again. I went slightly below parallel, and could not go all the way up. Since I lifted 160 from below parallel a couple weeks ago, I'm considering 160 my 1RM for now. I still think it's really weird I couldn't lift 165, but I hadn't eaten much that day. I'm kicking myself for not just grabbing some food before heading to the gym. Oh, well.

Box Squats:

3x12x105

Lunges with 25 lb plate held overhead (Those always get me some weird looks, ha.)

Leg Press:

3x15x260

Leg Curl:

1x12x50

3x10x65

Week of 3/30

SOHP Day

SOHP:

1x5x50

1x3x55

1x3x65

BOR:

1x15x65

1x12x65

1x10x65

One Arm DB Press:

3 sets with 20lb dumbells for each arm

Assisted Pull-Ups and Chin-Ups

Deadlift Day

Deadlifts:

1x5x145

1x3x165

1x2x185

My left hand kept slipping on the last set. I pretty much dropped the weight once I got to the top, then repositioned my grip, got the weight all the way up, and my left hand slipped again. I really need chalk. And more grip work.

Good Mornings:

3x12x105

Fireman's Walk with 50lb dumbells

Hanging Leg Raises with my arms fully extended above me (in the hopes that this will help my grip somewhat)

Plate pinches

Various planks

Yes, I'm 5'1" and I actually lost a teeny bit of my pudginess, so now I weigh 127. Thanks for all the support! (I think I may be an easy-gainer.)

Good job getting the body fat down! I can only imagine how impressive it is to see you lifting so huge at 5'1"!

PS I just saw your message on my log...you're right, we're at similar body weights and strength levels! Is this the first time you've done an organized lifting program? Are you taking any supplements? I'm totally down for the friendly competition/being online gym buddies

Oh my gosh, you guys are going to make me blush! I think I have a really good training program going on. I've even inspired my boyfriend to follow the same training program. It's called Jim Wendler's 5 / 3 / 1 and I think there's a pretty descriptive article about it on T-Nation somewhere.

I don't take supplements of any kind, just a B-12 sublingual and vitamin D until the sun comes out. Sometimes I have a cup of soymilk after training. Mostly I just try to eat a lot. The only thing I've tried recently is moving toward a more organic/whole foods type of diet, at least most of the time. A lot less dessert, and a little more chickpeas, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, tofu, tempeh, and seitan. I'm really not doing anything special, just working hard and chowing down!

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x80

1x3x90

1x1x100

I really couldn't lift it all the way on the last rep, a bad sign since last week my 1RM was 105. I realized I've been working on having a more neutral grip though, so that might be all it is. My grip used to be too wide. Ah, well.

J & Press:

1x12x65

1x10x65

1x8x65

(something like that)

DB Chest Press:

1x12x25 lb dumbells

1x10x25 lb dumbells

1x8x25 lb dumbells

Dips:

1x10xBW

1x8xBW

1x6xBW

Push-Ups:

1x10

1x9

1x7

Squat Day

Squats:

1x5x125

1x3x140

1x2x160

Box Squats:

3x12x105

Lunges with 25lb plate overhead

Leg Press:

3x12x280

Leg Curl:

3x12x65

I really like your routine, I think I'm gonna try something similar once I'm done with this block of stronglifts.

Is it 4 days/week you workout?

Where did you get the routine?

EDIT: Forget that last question. just read the 2nd last post lol

Yes, it's a four day split. The first day is Standing Overhead Press, the second day is Deadlift, the third day is Bench, and the fourth day is Squat. And you can do whatever assistance exercises you feel like for each day, so I just picked a few things that I thought would work. You're supposed to have a rest day in the middle, and two rest days after the fourth training session. I ended up with a Tuesday/Wednesday Friday/Saturday split because my squat sessions take a lot of focus, and I like having a nearly empty gym, so Saturday is perfect for that.

Deload Week

For those of you just tuning in to my training log, a deload week is when you intentionally lift less than you can to give your muscles a bit of a break. You can't lift heavy 100% of the time! Next week I'll be back to throwing around heavy weights.

Standing Overherad Press Day

SOHP:

3x5x45

BOR:

3x10x55

One Arm DB Press:

3x10x15 for each arm

Assisted Pull-Ups and Chin-Ups

Side note: I consider pull-ups to be the ones with an overhand grip, and chin-ups to be the ones with an underhand grip. My boyfriend says I'm weird and nobody calls them that except me. I guess that's all right with me.

Deadlift Day

Deadlifts:

1x5x80

1x5x100

1x5x120

Good Mornings:

5x10x95

Farmer's Walks with 50 lb dumbbells

Plate pinches

Hanging Leg Raises, hanging from my hands from a pull-up bar to strengthen my grip

Various planks

Week of April 13, 2010

Standing Overhead Press Day

SOHP:

1x5x50

1x5x55

1x3x65

Bent Over Rows:

3x12x65

One Arm Dumbbell Press:

1x15x20

1x12x20

1x10x20 (right arm)

1x12x20

1x10x20

1x8x20 (left arm)

Assisted Pull-Ups & Chin-Ups

Various planks

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x5x135

1x5x155

1x5x175

I still haven't bought any chalk, but I brought my straps. I felt pretty strong on the second set, so I thought I'd use my bare hands like normal, and it never slipped on that last set. I readjusted my grip a few times when I brought the bar back down, but I wasn't dropping the bar like the last time I tried 185 without chalk. I hope this is a sign my grip is getting a bit stronger.

Good Mornings:

5x12x105

Farmer's Walks with 50 lb dumbbells

Plate Pinches with two five lb plates, each hand held as long as possible...I'm averaging about 30 seconds for the right hand and 15 for my left.

Hanging Leg Raises, arms fully extended above me, hanging from a pull-up bar. This helps me work on grip. Even after all those farmer's walks and plate pinches, I was able to hold on for eight slow leg raises, which is an improvement over last week.

Why did you put a frownie after that last set of SOHP? Does it mean you worked till failure?

Hanging Leg Raises, arms fully extended above me, hanging from a pull-up bar. This helps me work on grip. Even after all those farmer's walks and plate pinches, I was able to hold on for eight slow leg raises, which is an improvement over last week.

Wow. Seriously. I read that and said "damn!" outloud.

Why did you put a frownie after that last set of SOHP? Does it mean you worked till failure?

Wow. Seriously. I read that and said "damn!" outloud.

I was mad because I was supposed to do five reps and I haven't been able to this week. I guess I haven't gotten THAT much stronger this time around.

Thanks for being impressed, haha. Makes my day.

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x70

1x5x80

1x3x95 Why can't I do five reps of this weight yet? Must be time to start taking in more calories!

J&Press:

1x10x65

1x8x65

1x6x65

I'm still working on getting deeper on these. Anybody ever do J&Presses? It looks like a J, thus the name. You bring the bar down, scoop it toward your chin, then push up. My powerlifting buddy told me they were his number one assistance exercise for improving bench.

DB Chest Press:

1x12x25 lb dumbells

2x10x25 lb dumbells

Dips:

1x10xBW

1x8xBW

1x6xBW

Push-Ups:

1x10

1x8

1x6

Kind of pathetic on the push-ups lately. I guess since I do them last, I'm pretty tired at this point.

Squat Day

Squats:

1x5x115

1x5x135

1x3x150

Aargh! I'm not improving as fast anymore. Well, for the next four week phase I'll use the same assumed 1RM and maybe I can get five reps of this weight. I have to say, this last set was really fun, even though I couldn't squat one more time. On the last squat I went pretty deep and felt like I wouldn't make it, then said something along the lines of "BLAAAAARCHGH!!!" (in my head, not out loud) and forced my way back up. I decided I might burst a blood vessel if I tried one more, so I racked it. The guy at the leg press was staring at me kind of funny.

Box Squats:

3x15x105

Lunges with 25 lb plate overhead

Leg Press:

3x12x280

Leg Curl:

3x15x65

On Sunday it was so dang nice out I went for a leisurely 30-35 minute run. I've mostly been doing sprints on my non-lifting days, so it was really nice to just do a long run outside. Tonight I'm planning on doing some HITT, then tomorrow, back to lifting heavy!

Edited by Adena