protein shakes?

Barb123

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, I love you, seitan_man! I have been hoping for a pumpkin seed protein for a long time. Too bad it probably costs a shit-ton.
Yeah probably 6x times the price of gemma with .0002% more nutritional value.

I looked it up, and it is three times the price, to be exact.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the Pumpkin Seed Protein seitanman. I just ordered some.

Those that are complaining about price... I'm as frugal as they come and I don't like spending extra for anything I don't have to, but lets not forget the importance of variety.

It's so important to diversify our protein sources and its definitely worth the cost to pay a little extra to fill in the gaps of what trueprotein offers. A little Pea, Hemp, Brown Rice, Pumpkin Seed.... that's going to ensure we're getting a wide array of amino acids that is sometimes lacking in a Vegan diet.

(By the way, it'd be cool if we could move this to the Health/Nutrition section and keep an ongoing list of Vegan Proteins that we stumble across)

I'd like to add Plant Fusion to the list. Same company as Nitro Fusion and pretty dang tasty.

Just got some of this for my birthday:

http://www.bulknutrition.com/images/pea-protein-b.gif

and it absolutely kicks ass.

Wow, donotwant.jpg

Thanks to aluck, i bought two jugs of this without tasting it first. Cant get past the thick pea taste. Hell, its not Thanksgiving...lol

..the moral of the story: don't buy it before you taste it!! I bought a tub of egg protein and whey a month ago... and went Vegan on Tuesday - so I have $100 left sitting in the cabinet.... live and learn babey.. live and learn

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the Pumpkin Seed Protein seitanman. I just ordered some.

Those that are complaining about price... I'm as frugal as they come and I don't like spending extra for anything I don't have to, but lets not forget the importance of variety.

It's so important to diversify our protein sources and its definitely worth the cost to pay a little extra to fill in the gaps of what trueprotein offers. A little Pea, Hemp, Brown Rice, Pumpkin Seed.... that's going to ensure we're getting a wide array of amino acids that is sometimes lacking in a Vegan diet.

(By the way, it'd be cool if we could move this to the Health/Nutrition section and keep an ongoing list of Vegan Proteins that we stumble across)

I'd like to add Plant Fusion to the list. Same company as Nitro Fusion and pretty dang tasty.

Lookie what I found: http://www.wholelifenutrition.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/pumpkinseedflour.pdf

I sent an email telling them there is some interest in their protein, but that the price is a limiting factor for many of us, asking if they can bring back the 5lb pails at the $28.50 price, or thereabouts. I told them how vegan bodybuilders and the like obviously use a lot of protein, so we would appreciate being able to buy it in quantity.

Here is a copy of the last email I got from Omega Nutrition on the pumpkin protein:

Hi Jacob,

Just to clarify, the 5 pound bucket is no longer available. The only size available is 26.5 oz.

Other members can avail this offer. This offer 25% off would apply to Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder 26.5 oz. size jar if ordering a case of 6 containers on the initial order only. Regular price is $16.97 each plus $10.00 shipping cost for every order in the continental U.S. With your next orders, 25% off will not be applied, however, buy 6 or more and get 1 more free will apply. Promotions cannot be combined with any other offer.

Also, Omega Nutrition offers 20% volume discounts for orders with a Total amount of $400.00 plus shipping cost of $10.00 flat rate in the continental U.S.

For example, an order of 24 jars of Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder 26.5 oz. will cost $335.83, shipping costs of $10.00 included.

Thank you.

Regards,

Ely Josue

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, pumpkin seed protein! Kick ass! I do the trueprotein.com stuff. 60% rice, 30% pea, 10% hemp. I went heavy on the rice because I've had all of these individually and think rice tastes the best. This protein tastes best with soy milk, a banana, berries and a splash of flax oil. Yum!

Probably not the right thread to do this in but,

Who on this board DOES NOT take any supplements or protein shakes? I want to pick your brain and get schooled in your ways. Thank you.

I don't take protein shakes or any supplements other than B12. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not, but I seem to be making some pretty awesome strength gains (for me) just by eating a ton. Mostly I eat the cheap types of meals, some combination of brown rice and either lentils or chickpeas. And of course lots of vegetables. I have oatmeal with peanut butter every morning. I don't know, check out my log and see what you think of my progress, and if you think I sound like a pretty strong lady, I'll "school you in my ways." ....And if you have any ideas of how I can bench more weight, you should school me in your ways.

Particularly, I am a fan of buying some Non-GMO Rice/Pea sometimes hemp combination from www.trueprotein.com. Best value ever in my opinion. Then I buy bulk raw organic flax seeds for $1.99, bulk raw organic pumpkin seeds for $3.99, or bulk raw organic sunflower seeds for around $2.50, and grind about 1/4 cup (1 protein scoop's worth) in a coffee grinder, and toss them into my protein shake. You save a ton of money and keep the healthy essential fats and fiber that the seed provides. This works the best for me, and keeps $$ in my pocket.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just want to show off this amazing smoothie I just made:

http://web1.twitpic.com/img/132118264-bfb731464bbeed827abcc64f268de2ae.4c43b1a0-scaled.jpg

It's just from the recipe on the wholefoods chocolate soy protein powder box:

1 frozen banana

7 frozen strawberries

1 cup soymilk

1/3 cup chocolate soy powder

It was delicious!!

Wow, I appreciate everyone's comments on this thread. It is so hard to buy those big tubs before trying them. I am a trueprotein fan and I use 100% gemma pea. the chocolate banana mixed with a half banana is amazing. I am surprised that so many don't like it. It also has great numbers. I might try the rice/gemma combo based on the comments