Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:40 am 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:44 pm
Posts: 3473
Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?" Jack Norris, R.D

Jack Norris co-founded Vegan Outreach in 1993 and is currently the President.

Jack is a Registered Dietitian. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from Life University (Marietta, GA) in 2000 and performed a Dietetic internship at Georgia State University in 2000-2001. Jack is the author of Vitamin B12: Are You Getting It?, Staying Healthy On Plant-Based Diets, and other health articles found at VeganHealth.org and JackNorrisRd.com.

Jack Norris, RD will be talking about the health benefits and concerns of a vegan diet. He will cover the findings of the large studies following thousands of vegetarians and vegans over time. He will also address nutrition concerns such as Vitamin B12, omega-3 fats, and soy, focusing on published studies.

The Video

_________________

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:46 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 107
Location: Canada, eh
Great video, but the streaming was horrible (at least for me, pausing every few seconds to buffer).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:12 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Enroute to 58
Me like too, no problem with stream here.

_________________

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.


"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:43 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:24 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Finland
Quote:
Research into the role of essential fatty acids began in the 1920s. Early studies found that primates deprived of ALA showed depleted levels of DHA, which caused abnormalities in retinal function and visual acuity. Other symptoms included extreme thirst and exceptionally dry hair and skin.



Anyone noticed anything like this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:52 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:48 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Stockholm, Sweden.
Kjari. What exactly are you asking? If someone here ever had dry hair and skin? If so, does that prove anything?

_________________
cubby2112 wrote:
When someone says you don't train "functionally," you should just punch them in the face. Ask them how "functional" of a movement that was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:05 pm 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:23 am
Posts: 77
Words cannot express how appreciative I am of his realistic approach and ability to set aside his biases rather than just glamorizing veganism.
I'm still learning to vegan and I'm constantly seeing/hearing vegan horror stories... of course I know better because I actually research this stuff, but it's hard to find unbiased information and these stories still worried me a bit.
Especially if I have a kid someday... it's just cruel for them to make up things like that. Where do the dairy and meat industries draw the line? I've never seen them show any sort of conscience about animal OR human rights. >.>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:05 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 33
penpen wrote:
Words cannot express how appreciative I am of his realistic approach and ability to set aside his biases rather than just glamorizing veganism.
I'm still learning to vegan and I'm constantly seeing/hearing vegan horror stories... of course I know better because I actually research this stuff, but it's hard to find unbiased information and these stories still worried me a bit.
Especially if I have a kid someday... it's just cruel for them to make up things like that. Where do the dairy and meat industries draw the line? I've never seen them show any sort of conscience about animal OR human rights. >.>



The thing that is making it difficult for me to want to return to these forums much is peoples inability to separate 'the science' from the animal rights aspect, which I think need to be completely different conversations entirely. I love animals, and I am all for that aspect of it. But this IS the nutritional section of the forum. Wy does it seem that people here have little to day about it other than 'oh thats good' or something similar? Does the science of vegan nutrition mean little to people? I mean I assume that the health outcome of a vegan diet is important to people as well as the animal rights aspect. This is what gives my fellow vegans bad credibility in my opinion. The ones who do it for animal rights reasons tend not to care if they live off preztils and hummus, and similar junk food, hence these 'vegan horror stories'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:07 am 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:09 pm
Posts: 72
Location: Rural Arizona
I agree that some of us do not eat meat for reasons other than animal rights issues. There is a separate topic heading to discuss those types of things.

My reason for not eating meat has nothing to do with animal rights and everything to do with personal health and preferences.

I too appreciate the separation of these 2 things.

_________________
Eating my way fit! (And working my buns off...)
Dr. Debra
http://drdebratibbitts.com
Lose 10 Pounds in 21 Days and Keep It Off


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:54 pm 
Offline
Finch

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:39 pm
Posts: 8
Great video, thanks.

I actually think it critical that the science and emotion get separated. The PETA website virtually encourages junk food eating and will turn plant based eating into a political event with no appreciable health improvement outcomes. If information isnt properly referenced I no longer pass it on.

A couple of the influences for me have been The China Study, T. Colin Campbell, Skinny Bastards http://www.skinnybastard.net/ and Dr. John MacDougall. Hans Diehl is another science based guru of mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:41 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:44 pm
Posts: 3473
sebastiaan56 wrote:
Great video, thanks.

I actually think it critical that the science and emotion get separated. The PETA website virtually encourages junk food eating and will turn plant based eating into a political event with no appreciable health improvement outcomes.


FWIW, the word "vegan" was coined by Donald Watson to refer to a person who believes it is wrong to exploit ( use for our selfish ends only ) animals. The word and movement never had anything to do with health.

PETA tries to make a vegan diet seem as normal and appealing as possible to get people to give it a try. I agree with you are coming from. If people don't learn to eat right they will feel like crap, blame it on vegan diets, quit and bad mouth vegan diets to other people.


Quote:
If information isnt properly referenced I no longer pass it on


You are on the side of angels.

Quote:


I read that book last year. They state several things as nutrition fact, but those things are flat out folklore. I wouldn't recommend that book to people.

_________________

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:57 pm 
Offline
Finch

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:39 pm
Posts: 8
Which bits?


Quote:
Skinny Bastards http://www.skinnybastard.net/

I read that book last year. They state several things as nutrition fact, but those things are flat out folklore. I wouldn't recommend that book to people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:32 pm 
Offline
Finch

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:26 pm
Posts: 3
beforewisdom wrote:
I read that book last year. They state several things as nutrition fact, but those things are flat out folklore. I wouldn't recommend that book to people.


I was about to read that book but now i changed my mind

_________________
yoga video


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:33 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
beforewisdom wrote:
Quote:


I read that book last year. They state several things as nutrition fact, but those things are flat out folklore. I wouldn't recommend that book to people.

This is similar to their previous book, Skinny Bitch, as well.

_________________
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:17 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:12 am
Posts: 21
Agree with BeforeWisdom on all counts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Video: "Vegan Nutrition: What Does the Science Say?"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:39 pm 
Offline
Manatee

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm
Posts: 225
Location: USA
Quote:
"TheFutureOfHealthThe thing that is making it difficult for me to want to return to these forums much is peoples inability to separate 'the science' from the animal rights aspect, which I think need to be completely different conversations entirely. I love animals, and I am all for that aspect of it. But this IS the nutritional section of the forum. Wy does it seem that people here have little to day about it other than 'oh thats good' or something similar? Does the science of vegan nutrition mean little to people? I mean I assume that the health outcome of a vegan diet is important to people as well as the animal rights aspect. This is what gives my fellow vegans bad credibility in my opinion. The ones who do it for animal rights reasons tend not to care if they live off preztils and hummus, and similar junk food, hence these 'vegan horror stories'.


Very well said, I agree 100%.


Last edited by The PhytoAthlete on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group