'Beginning Bodybuilding' Questions

ROB- I read your Beginning Bodybuilding section on the site and like the sample training program you mention. I'm wondering how important that day 3 rest is to take- If I wanted to work 4 days straight and take the 5th and 6th day off and go running the 7th day- Do you think that would that be too much time off between weight training days? My crappy night shift work schedule means my work out week doesn't really start until Monday afternoon/Tuesday. I know I can reasonably get back into a routine of going to the gym Tues-Friday morning, take Sat/Sun off and go running on Monday afternoon.

Rule of thumb is never exercise the same body part 2 days in a row.

Yeah. I wasn't planning on doing the same part- I just realized that day 4 was legs- so I might not want to go running on day 5- Maybe I'll do that on Monday and start my four days in the gym on Tuesday- I thought for starters I'd see if I can use Rob's suggested sample training schedule to see where I'm at and what immediate goals I need to set over the next few weeks.

A few years ago I actually trained HARD 6 days in a row and then took a 7th day off, so that means I was training hard 12 out of every 13 days. That was too much.

I think the day 3 rest is pretty important but I do think it is possible to weight train 3 or 4 days in a row and be just fine.......as long as they are all different muscle groups, which is sounds like it will be.

Sometimes we have to workout around our work schedules, and if that is the case, 4 days in a row won't be too bad.....plus those 2 days in a row of rest are really nice!

I agree with robert, however I still most of hte time do 6 day straight workouts, I have a lot of time on my hands.

ALso with stretching, NEVER stretch before warming up. You can damage your body if you stretch without a warm up. The body needs to raise its temperature first.

I agree with robert, however I still most of hte time do 6 day straight workouts, I have a lot of time on my hands.

ALso with stretching, NEVER stretch before warming up. You can damage your body if you stretch without a warm up. The body needs to raise its temperature first.

hahahahaha doubled up

kollison is right, but I was figuring that everyone knew that warm up excesizes or cardio comes before everthing. Just make sure your warm ups are truly warm ups. I have heard of a lot of people warming up and pulling a muscle becuase they are running too hard/lifting too much weights without being stretched out.

I warm up by doing 10 minutes of crunches and ab exercises, 5 minutes of push-ups and usually some sets of bodyweight squats and jumping jacks to 100.

In the past I would spend 5 minutes on a stair-stepper. Now I warm up for 10-30 minutes. I've had a bunch of injuries in the past so I try to be careful and I enjoy long warm-ups now.

When I workout I wear sweatshirts and sweatpants, so that keeps be pretty warm. Sometimes I wear a knit hat too, so I'm always covered up in the gym.

I like to stay warm and I like to hide too. Years ago I was into tank tops at the gym to show off muscles but now, I just cover everything up, keep nice and warm and stick to my training.