how do you get the "sticking" power of eggs without eggs? :)

endcruelty

ok i'm a little drunk, forgive me lol

but i'm gonna post this before i forget. what ingredient, or anything really, can you use to keep potato and flour together when boiling? wanted to make Polish Kopytka (aka potato dumplings) where you mix potatoes, flour, eggs and cut the pieces then boil. unfortunately the pieces started coming apart in the water and were hard to take out and fry afterwards. we used corn starch as an egg replacement but it didn't turn out well. i still ate them, and were yummy, but weren't the best

any recommendations?

You can use a powdered egg replacement powder like Ener-G...it's a mix of different starches. I've only used it for baking though, not boiling, so I'm not sure how it would work.

Banana, applesauce, and flax all work too, but I'm not sure you would want to use though in a recipe like that. Silken tofu can work too, and I've seen a matzoh ball recipe that uses tofu so it must work for cooking on the stovetop.

I've never made kopytka before but it sound similar to gnocchi I've made gnocchi before that was just potato and flour and they held together fine. So I would imagine it has something to do with the ratio you are using. I don't remember what gnocchi recipe i used, but here is one from VeganYumYum, look to see if the ratio of flour:potato is at all similar and perhaps would work for you:

http://veganyumyum.com/2008/03/gnocchi-with-thyme-vinaigrette-and-lemon-cashew-cream/

• 5 weeks later...

I never use any kind of replacement for potato dumplings or gnocchi.

All they consist of are cooked potatoes (there's special potatoes for dumplings.. if they're available in your are use those!), and potato starch.

It's also important that the water is boiling when you put the dumplings/gnocchi in.. And salting the water is also a good idea.

I recently made cornbread for the first time. Instead of two eggs I ground 2 tablespoons of flax seeds. I then boiled the ground seeds in 6 tablespoons of water for 3 min before adding it to my dough. Everything held together wonderfully.

You can also buy "Energ-G" egg replacer cheaply. Works fairly well. I use it when I make Kasha to get the buchwheat fluffy.