Registered for the North Face Canadian Death Race '10

Hey guys. Just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm registered to do the North Face Canadian Death Race as a soloist again this summer. For those of you unfamiliar with this race, it is a 125 km. race that goes up and over 3 mountain summits (17,000 feet of elevation change) and needs to be completed in 24 hours. There are 5 main legs to this race; most people do the race as part of a 5 person relay team. Participants also need to be at the end of each leg in a specific time to avoid being disqualified. There are roughly 250 of us who attempt the thing solo. Last year 231 people started the race, 76 finished. This race is known as Canada's hardest race. I came in at 38th place at 22 hours 0 minutes 57 seconds. I'm hoping to crack the top 25 this year. It's going to be a pretty competitive year as its the races 10th year anniversary. Dean Karnazes came in 2nd place last year so I think with the publicity he brought to the race, it might bring some bigger names this year. I know for a fact that the womens category is going to be very competitive. I'd like to see if I can break the 20 hour barrier. My first half of the race last year was very strong but the last half was painful and slow. I'm really concentrating on the nutrition aspect to my training this year. I've been a vegan for 17 years but I still have alot of learning to do especially in learning how to fuel my body when I'm running 100+ km. weeks leading into the race, as well as fueling myself during the race. My support team will be busy this year.

Anyhow, check out the website if you're interested:

http://www.canadiandeathrace.com

Vegan Power!!!

Below is the Finishers Coin that all the soloists receive with our name and time engraved. It's worth it just for this!

DeathRaceCoin.jpg.fbaeff4f03138f5f1954414f75c15e02.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here goes everyone. I'm off to Grande Cache to do the 125 km. Canadian Death Race tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes. Heat is going to be a factor again this year. There are 400 soloists trying this year. Probably only 100 will finish. I hope to be in the middle of the pack. It'll be tough this year as I've been having a nagging hip injury. We'll see how my legs hold up tomorrow. Vegan Power!

www.canadiandeathrace.com

Well...It wasn't my year. It was a brutally hot and humid day and the non-success rate was extremely high. I made it to the end of the 3rd leg of 5 legs. 68 km. in total. Dehydation was the number one factor why I couldn't finish the race. I would drink as much fluids as I possibly could but it was impossible to keep hydrated. But the other factor was the fact that my hiking poles broke on one of the steep downhills at the start of leg 2. Not using poles on a course like this is hell to your legs.

Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement. I'll be back out there next year. After a couple weeks of rest, massages and physiotherapy, I will be back on the pavement getting back to my road running and getting to the form I had back in '03. I want to run my Boston qualifier.

Mike