Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Op, Healing
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:38 pm 
Gorilla

Tomorrow is the 2 week post op landmark; eating as been a little less calories than optimal. I will definitely work on eating more before the week 3 mark, so that my weight will be up before I see my ortho.

As soon as I get the go ahead at the 6 week mark, I'm looking to ease back into lifting with a strict bodyweight exercise routine. I won't go crazy high volume or anything, but when I do progress it'll be an increase in volume and not load. After I feel like I am getting back into the feel, I'll progress with 40lb dumb then 60lb dumb onto the bw routine. My thoughts are that doing a routine like this at home and not visiting the gym will stave off my desire to start lifting heavy again; possibly leading to re-injury.

The great thing is during this progression, I intend on utilizing this blog to track my progression as well as to insure that I am not proceeding too quickly or with too much of a load when I add in resistance. The goal at this point is going to be tone and stay fit which will then transition into approaching the load I use to do; keyword being approaching.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:07 pm 
Stegosaurus

Sorry to hear about the back injury, LB - I know firsthand how much they suck, but keep that rehab going slowly but surely, and in due time you'll be better than ever. Just don't follow my example and start doing 700 lb. quarter squats a week after being hurt because it somehow makes your back feel better :) Glad to hear that your ortho is actually not going to discourage you from training - I only wish that the one I'd see had said something other than "I think you need to stop lifting completely" and had given anything encouraging. Take care, and get yourself back in top form!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:01 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks VE, he did mention that I should not bulk and train more for endurance, but the fact that he didn't say, "Consider not training period," kept me from walking out of the examination room.

And yes I won't go lifting celestial bodies that soon out the gate, although I was up and walking way way too early.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:02 pm 
Manatee

Don't push it, take care of yourself first.

Post subject: Re: New Year, New Goals (Less is More)
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:57 pm 
Elephant

LocalBrada wrote:
pain in my left glut

Truly a pain in the ass. Sorry Brah. Please rest as much or more than needed and heal up well.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:23 am 
Gorilla

@Lyric Thank you.
@Johnny John John lol, I kept telling VV...My ass hurts :) Yeah I'm gonna take it slow; I am just not too sure about losing as much weigh as I've had already. I really don't want to fall under 200lbs, I just don't think I can help that.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:34 pm 
Stegosaurus

hang in there you will get through all of this!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:04 pm 
Stegosaurus

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:34 pm 
Gorilla

@MaryStella Thank you.
@lobsteriffic I'm going to take it slow no matter what. I've just gotta remain out of the gym and stick with lifting at the house or I will most likely reinjure myself.

Yesterday was my first day back on the job. I wasn't released yet to work, but it was one of those situations where I felt if I didn't at least do a test/trial run that I might not have a position to return to. Let's just say after the 2 hour mark I was trying my best not to just pack up and head home. The great thing is after my shift, my lady friend, gave me an excellent back massage.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:17 am 
Stegosaurus

Great job with the work ethic.
Better and better and better,

"Wait a bit," said the tortoise. "I'll run a race with you, and I'll wager that I win."
"Oh, well," replied the hare, who was much amused at the idea, "let's try and see."

Peace, love, out

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:54 am 
Gorilla

@Vegan Joe Thank you, sir. Much appreciated.

Yesterday was the three week mark and my first post op visit to the ortho. Everything went well and as expected. The checkup was very routine and the only thing the ortho commented on was that I was to wait six weeks from this appointment before I should start lifting again. Normally my reaction would be, "Are you serious?", but I am going to take heed and give my back that much longer to repair.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:07 pm 
Gorilla

Still currently out of the gym and I'm becoming quite antsy. I've been seriously considering making an early entrance just to get back into the routine of being consistent with visiting the gym. I figure that if I stick to pull ups and dips, that the traction on the spine will be beneficial. As well as assist in keeping my bf% within the normal range for me, in-comparison to the work I've done up to the point before my surgery. If not, I'll be seriously considering doing a spirulina liquid fast for two weeks or so. We'll see how things go in the up and coming weeks.

My diet has been a tad bit wishy washy. I've been cooking gourmet style food and entertaining my lady friend. It's been pleasant, but still outside of the regimented dietary habits that I've prescribed to up to this point. I'd like to get back on that at some point and allot for gourmet days. The food is still rather healthy and of course vegan, but I've been doing more pasta dishes, coconut milk and olive dishes. The additional carbs and fats aren't inline with my current activity level, so a reduction is necessary.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:08 pm 
Elephant

Glad to see you're doing well and taking it easy, and that you've got a girlfriend. You'll be back at it soon, and will hopefully be moderate. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:37 am 
Stegosaurus

I agree, hope all is well with your healing process. I love to cook gourmet-type food but my waist line doesn't. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:19 pm 
Gorilla

@Johnny *hugs*
@lobsteriffic Same here; I totally have issues recognizing the caloric value of certain dishes I prepare, especially if they are created off the cuff.

Today with the exception of breakfast starts my spirulina and liquid fast. I'll be intaking spirulina 4 times a day with the first or second including a multivitamin and the last two servings done with flax seed oil or coconut oil. So folks will see me walking around with a gallon jug of water and a makeshift container of spirulina. Oh how nice it'll be to unload myself of food alarms and carrying totes during this fast. Whee!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next