Paul's Fitness Log (starting low)

I thought I'd start a training log of how I am doing with my fitness goals. I am 6'1 and currently around 165-170 lbs. I've lost about 50 lbs in the last couple years by eating a vegan diet, and another 15 since I became slightly more active. My stamina is still low and my strength is nothing to speak of and I come from a mostly sedentary lifestyle, but I'd like to change that a little at a time. I'd like to build up some muscle tone and stamina over the summer, and be able to do some backpacking in the next month or two without dying in the first couple miles. By the end of the Summer I'd like to be able to do some light modeling without feeling terribly self-conscious about my gut, etc. Compared to those a little more athletically inclined, this may start off /very/ low-key by comparison, but coming from my background this is a lot to start off with. Let's see how it goes. Plus, it'll help me to see what I actually /did/ and /didn't/ do, in addition to what I actually ate, since my memory is not the best with these things.

5-20-10

2 mile walk between music gigs. 10 sit ups. 10 push ups.

Meals so far: 2 bowls of shredded wheat with a 1/2 cup of raisins, a banana, and mineral supplements. Some too-sugary coffee from a cafe down the street (shame on me).

Edit: Added another meal this evening of whole-grain rice, couple garlic cloves, onions, and a salad with random-lettuce, snap pees, hickima (spelling, it's that white chunky root that tastes like apples) and half an avocado. One small cup of regular coffee.

Added another 10 push ups and sit ups.

5-21-10

2 mile walk. 1/2 hour of yoga.

2 bowls of whole-wheat oatmeal with raisins and a dash of flax-seed oil, soy milk. Multivitamins. Banana for breakfast.

Sauteed soy and sprouts "burger" with carrots. Unsweetened green tea. Vegan chocolate chip cookie.

Dinner of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, some carrots and hummus, large cup of soy milk with Vega powder mix.

Several gigs tomorrow, so let's see if I can at least work a walk in.

5-22-10

2 bowls of fresh berries, shredded wheat, multivitamins

1 large burrito, consisting of carrots, mushrooms, refried beans, black beans, peppers, and a ton of spices

2 Mile Walk. Mostly a gig day.

5-23-10

2 bowls of whole-wheat oatmeal. Raisins. 1 banana.

PBJ, whole-wheat bread, almond butter, orange jam

Noodles and fried tofu (not the healthiest)

Large glass of soy milk and chocolate vega mix

4 Mile Run. Mostly a gig day.

5-24-10

5-25-10

Same generic diet plus some vega bars. Big party with college friends leaving after graduation, so not the healthiest diet alcohol wise. Couple miles of walking in the middle.

Let's hope things improve a big!

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been keeping this up, but as a general update

Hand barbells up to about 20 lbs, depending on angle and exercise. Barbell for bench pressing, etc., is comfortable at 50 lbs. now. Situps and push ups are easier. I do my yoga often times wearing a 40 lbs vest and some lighter weights on my wrists and ankles. Walks include the vest as well, though if I'm running the extra 40 lbs do not go well, so I leave that at home.

Diet has been about the same, more or less... fairly generic vegan, only less and less junkfood. I am finding I have to eat a LOT more to be satisfied, but I am staying around the same weight.

Got some comments from people on how I seem different, etc., in a positive way. I don't think anything is changing visually body wise at this point, but I am walking around with more confidence in general, so that may be it.

Anyway, just an update. Pics coming eventually :P

Paul B