Take Action and Make it Happen - Food Journal

Hey everyone,

This is the title of one of my books I wrote a couple of years ago (still waiting to be published). The theme means a lot to me, so the title of this journal carries that same message.

I've been pretty much absent the past 8 months or so on the forum. There were days in a row I never visited, probably a week or longer I never even logged in or came to the forum and I though I posted occasionally, I was all but removed.

Now I'm back! I was hiding out to write my book, up to 15 hours in a day, but now the book is out and doing extremely well and I'm a lot skinnier than I'd like to be. For years I kept a training journal, but now I'm going to keep a NEW training journal and a food journal.

Let's jump right into it. I didn't think about this until this evening while at the gym so I don't recall exact times of meals for this first day, but from now on I will be able to keep things up to date super accurately. This should really help me get back into shape.

Sunday May 23, 2010

11:00AM - Two scoops of Vega Sport Protein = 40 grams of protein

12:00PM - Two scoops of Vega Sport Protein = 40 grams of protein

12:30PM - 1 organic banana, 1 organic apple

1:30PM - Vega Vibrancy bar

3:30PM - 3 servings of organic Kettle Chips

4:30PM - 1 organic apple, 1 organic banana, 2 servings of Vega Sport Performance Optimizer

6:30PM - 1 organic banana, 1 Vega energy bar, 30 ounces of water

7:30PM - 1 Vega Vibrancy bar

8:30PM - 1 Vega energy bar

9:30PM - 3 servings of organic quinoa pasta with Daiya vegan cheese and 1 organic avocado

12:30AM - 1 organic orange, 1 organic banana

Totals: (will sort these out in the morning, too tired now)

Notes:

I admit that this first day looks like a Vega commercial but I'm just being honest and authentic and will post exactly what I ate. I'm sponsored by Vega and low on income right now as I pay to print my own book so I'm relying pretty heavily on Vega products at the moment to keep costs low. I admit that I had the potato chips, that I only drank water with 3 Vega drinks and another 30 ounces at the gym, and I didn't have a single vegetable, just fruits and bars all day. Yesterday I had a bunch of carrots, brown rice, beans, etc. but each day is it's own unique beast.

I'll continue to update this authentically, honestly and consistently. I'll do the same for training.

My book will become a best-seller soon, and soon I'll once again look like the guy on the cover (my prior self).

-Robert

that's for sure.....each day IS it's own unique beast! What's the difference between the 2 types of vega bars?

+2!

Well for one, the vibrancy bars taste a whole lot better. I like both though... I think theres a tad more "stuff" in the energy bars, but its been a while since I looked at the two.

Monday May 24, 2010

10:30AM - 1 organic banana

11:30AM - Large bowl of organic gluten-free quinoa pasta with Daiya vegan cheese a full organic large avocado

12:45PM - 2 Scoops of Vega Sport Protein with organic rice milk = 40g protein

2:00PM - 1 organic banana

3:00PM - 1 organic apple

4:00PM - Big bowl of organic gluten-free quinoa pasta with organic pinto beans, Daiya vegan cheese and 1/2 organic

avocado.

5:00PM - Handful of organic Kettle Chips

6:30PM - 2 organic oranges, 1.5 organic bananas, 2 scoops of Vega Sport Performance Optimizer

8:45PM - 2.5 scoops of Vega Sport Protein = 50g protein, 1/2 organic banana

9:30PM - 60 ounces water

10:30PM - 2 organic oranges

11:40PM - Large bowl of organic gluten-free quinoa pasta with Daiya vegan cheese, 1/2 organic avocado, 2 organic carrots

12:30AM - Medium sized bowl of organic gluten-free quinoa pasta with hummus and a handful of peanuts.

Notes:

I was up until almost 4AM crushing it with work, contacting bookstores and other stores about carrying my book. Slept in a bit, but should have a good variety of food today. Will keep updating as the day goes on.....

Almost had a 2nd day in a row without any vegetables! So I grabbed some carrots from the refrigerator to end that streak of no vegetables at all. I've had a not of nutrients from Vega products, loads of fruits and grains but no vegetables in site! Gotta get some greens in there this week!.

Tuesday May 25, 2010

10:45AM - 2 organic oranges

11:30AM - Handful of peanuts, 1.5 scoops of Vega Sport Protein with rice milk = 30g protein

12:30PM - organic gluten-free quinoa pasta with hummus

2:00PM - A little bit of organic chia/apple/cinnamon cereal with ricemilk, but didn't like it.

3:30PM - 2 organic oranges, 2 organic bananas

4:15PM - 1 organic apple

5:00PM - large bowl of organic gluten-free quinoa pasta with organic chili beans, 1 scoop of Vega Sport protein powder

6:30PM - 1 organic apple

7:45PM - Vega energy bar

8:30PM - Vega energy bar

9:45PM - Medium size bowl of organic gluten-free pasta with a few beans and Daiya vegan cheese

10:15PM - 3 pieces of gluten-free red bean bread with Daiya vegan cheese

11:45PM - 4 pieces of gluten-free red bean bread with Daiya vegan cheese

Notes:

Another day without vegetables. I really need to work on this. When I travel and eat at Whole Foods Market nearly everyday I'm traveling I eat salads all the time, but at home I don't. I should fix that asap.

As vegans we often think we eat a lot of salads, tons of vegetables, etc. but we really don't if we're totally honest with ourselves. Most of us probably don't eat that many greens or vegetables and rather rely more on sandwiches, burritos, processed foods, etc. It's a bit of an assumption but it's based on years of observation of many and discussions with many.

Time for some greens RC!

Wednesday May 26, 2010

Have been working like crazy lately 12-18 hours a day constantly for as long as I can remember....going back years!

Been thinking about rest a lot more now that I'm training again, in the gym 1-2 hours a day all week long. Quite frankly I just physically feel like I need/desire more rest as a result of the workouts and all week long I've been up until 3:30AM, 2AM, 1:30AM, etc. So today I slept in until 1PM! I woke up around 9AM and a couple other times but I refused to get out of bed, even with semi-important emails coming in to my Blackberry. I would have none of it.

My stomach was also super upset all last night and today from the massive amounts of food I'm eating...sometimes 100g protein just from shakes, as documented in my journal. It's already almost 8PM, heading to the gym now and I've had almost no protein....just needed to eat fruit all day to eliminate some stuff if you know what I'm saying.

Here is what I've had today:

Wednesday May 26, 2010

1:30PM - 2 organic apples

2:30PM - 2 organic oranges, couple handfulls of peanuts

5:30PM - 2 scoops of Vega Sport Performance Optimizer, 1 organic banana, 2 organic oranges

7:30PM - 1 organic banana

8:15PM - 1 organic banana

8:45PM - 1 organic banana

9:45PM - 1 scoop of Vega Sport Protein with rice milk, red bean gluten-free bread with Daiya Vegan Cheese, large bowl of organic gluten-free quinoa pasta with Daiya vegan cheese.

10:45PM - Small bowl of organic gluten-free quinoa pasta with hummus

11:45PM - 1 organic orange

1:30AM - 1 organic banana

Notes:

Another day without vegetables! I really need to sort this out! Lots of fruits, nice supplements, good calorie dense quinoa pasta, etc. but need to work on getting some greens in this week! Some weeks I really do eat greens daily, especially when I travel, but not this week. Shame on you Robert.

Thursday May 27, 2010

11:30AM - 2 organic oranges

12:30PM - 2 organic bananas

1:00PM - 1 Vega energy bar, 2 scoops Vega sport performance optimizer, 1 organic apple

3:00PM - 1 Vega energy bar, 1 scoop of Vega Sport Protein

4:00PM - A couple of handfuls of peanuts

6:00PM - Large bowl of cantaloupe

7:00PM - 3 bowls of lentil soup

12:30AM 1 organic apple

Notes

I had a long break between food in the evening...those bowls of soup actually stretched like 8:30 or so and I was super full and at a friend's house watching the Suns game then talking about vegan stuff, then came home.

Now bed time.

Nice back workout and sprints today too!

Thanks It's good stuff.

News: I had some vegetables today Was all about fruit, grains, legumes and supplements last week.

May 28, 2010

8:15AM - 2 organic apples

8:45AM - Vega Vibrancy bar

9:30AM - Vega Vibrancy bar

11:45AM - Organic apple

1:30PM - Organic chips with bean dip, natural soda

2:30PM - Bowl of cherries

5:30PM - Grapefruit, 2 apricots

7:30PM - Big bowl of rice, peas, peppers, onions, broccoli and other vegetables with coconut curry sauce

9:30PM - Coconut ice cream, sorbet, and a fruit popsicle

12:00AM - 1 orange, 2 apricots

Notes: Got some sun in Denver today and now off to bed since I only slept 3 hours last night...gotta get more sleep, still working on getting more variety in the diet, etc. as well. Busy life but working on making strides.

RC

Saturday May 29, 2010

8:30AM - 3 apricots, 1 large grapefruit

9:30AM - Bowl of brown rice and vegetables with coconut curry sauce, organic chips and bean bip (small serving size)

10:00AM - 2 scoops of Vega Sport Performance Optimizer, 1 organic banana

1:00PM - Bowl of brown rice and vegetables with coconut curry sauce, can of natural soda

4:00PM - Chips with guacamole, salsa, hummus - natural soda

6:00PM - Strawberries and watermelon, small serving sizes

8:00PM - Brown rice and vegetables with coconut curry sauce

10:00PM - Coconut ice cream, 1 organic orange

Sunday May 30, 2010

Slept in big time! Trying to get more sleep these days ...recovery, growth, lower stress, overall rest.

12:00PM - 2 organic apples, cup of organic lemonade

12:30PM - Large grapefruit, Vega energy bar

1:30PM - Romaine lettuce leaves, hummus, garbanzo beans

3:30PM - 2 organic bananas, Vega energy bar

7:00PM - 3 plates of Mixed greens, mashed potatoes, grilled vegetables, cup of lemonade

12:00AM - 1 organic orange, handful of cherries, handful of grapes.

Notes: Brother's wedding today so food was up and down and had long breaks without food during wedding-related stuff, but it's all good and I'm looking forward to a solid day of eating tomorrow

Sleep time.

Monday May 31, 2010

I'm actually updating this on Wed June 3, so I may not be 100% accurate in my recollection but I'll try hard. I'll do the same for the 1st and the 2nd too.

10:00AM - 2 organic oranges

11:00AM - Vega Vibrancy bar, Vega Sport Performance Optimizer, 1 organic apple

12:30PM - Cup of apple fennel soup, bowl of beans, rice, collard greens, vegan gluten/soy-free raspberry desert

2:00PM - Organic apple

4:00PM - 8oz grapefruit juice, organic apple

6:00PM - Organic banana

7:30PM - French fries, hummus, vegetables, avocado, artichoke hearts, rice, romaine greens, 24oz water

10:30PM - Organic apple, EmergenC drink

12:30AM - Organic banana, 2 organic oranges, handful of peanuts

Notes: Getting more vegetables in the diet that has been focused on fruits and grains and supplements primarily over the past week.

Tuesday June 1, 2010

10:45AM - Organic orange, organic apple, Vega Sport Performance Optimizer

1:00PM - Vega bar, 3 apricots, 16oz organic lemonade

3:15PM - 16oz organic lemonade, 2 apricots, orange, handful of cherries

4:30PM - 2 organic bananas

7:30PM - Bowl of beans, rice, guacamole

10:30PM - Organic apple

11:30PM - Bowl with 1 organic avocado, hummus, salsa and organic sesame chips

Notes: Trained twice today, flew home from Denver to LA and back into the swing of things. Ate lots of fruit, including avocado, cherries and apricots during my time in CO.

Wednesday June 2, 2010

10:30AM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Vanilla Almondilla flavor

11:30AM - Bowl of 1 whole organic avocado, hummus, salsa and organic sesame chips

12:30PM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Vanilla Almondilla flavor, organic orange

2:00PM - Apple, organic banana

4:00PM - Bowl of 1 whole organic avocado, hummus, salsa, and organic sesame chips

6:00PM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Tropical Tango flavor

8:45PM - 2 organic bananas

10:45PM - Bowl of one whole organic avocado, hummus, salsa and organic blue corn chips, 2 rice cakes, a few peanuts

12:30AM - 1 apple

Notes....really enjoying my new combo of avocado, hummus, salsa and chips...will be even better with brown rice and beans too. So I'll make that combo soon.

Thursday June 3, 2010

11:30AM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Choc a lot flavor

12:30PM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Choc a lot flavor

2:00PM - Bowl of organic avocado, hummus, salsa and organic chips

4:00PM - 1 organic banana

6:00PM - Vega Sport Performance Optimizer

8:00PM - 2 organic bananas

10:00PM - 1 organic banana, Vega energy bar

10:30PM - Bowl of organic avocado, organic chili beans, hummus, and salsa

12:45AM - 1 organic grapefruit

1:15AM - 1 organic orange

Notes......was so busy today didn't get quite as many calories as I would have liked, but did have Vega in some capacity 4 times today, and two big bowls of my avocado dish with some fruit throughout the day too.

Night Night.

Friday June 4, 2010

10AM - 1 organic banana

10:30AM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Bodacious Berry

11:30AM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Choc a lot flavor (absolutely amazing, best tasting protein powder ever made!)

1:00PM - Bowl of organic avocado, organic chili beans, hummus and salsa with organic chips

3:00PM - Vega Sport Performance Optimizer, organic apple, 2 organic oranges

5:30PM - 2 organic bananas

7:30PM - Vega Vibrancy bar, handful of mixed nuts

8PM - Bowl of guacamole, salsa, spinach and chips

10PM - Organic banana

12:00AM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Choc a lot (absolutely insanely delicious!), Vega Vibrancy Bar

1:00AM - 2 rice cakes

Notes: Had varies types of Vega like 5 times today! Back into bodybuilding again......or at least consistent weight training. Even looked like I had muscles for only the 2nd time in 6 months.....the other time being a few days ago when I trained arms in Denver. I trained arms today too.

I haven't weighed myself in a while...don't know where I'm at...will get to that soon.

As usual, up late.......back to work...books won't sell themselves! ...well, actually they do because of the outstanding content but I have to convince people to give it a try and then of course they love it.

Thanks both of you.

Saturday June 5, 2010

10:30AM - Organic apple, Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Choc a lot flavor (amazing!)

12:30PM - Vega Vibrancy Bar, organic grapefruit

2:45PM - Vega Energy Bar

4:00PM - Bowl of guacomole, salsa, hummus and organic chips

6:00PM - Organic apple

7:30PM - Plate of quinoa, curried vegetables, brown rice/avocado/seaweed rolls, organic strawberries, grapes

10:30PM - Organic strawberries, grapes

12:30AM - Quinoa and black beans

2:00AM - Organic banana

Notes: Went to a movie screening/potluck so that was cool to get a diversity of foods

Sunday June 6, 2010

Was up til after 3AM, so slept in big time!!!!!! And I've been stressed about a lot of things and it was the weekend, so even longer! Got up after noon

1:00PM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Choc a lot flavor, organic apple

2:00PM - Organic banana

2:45PM - Vega Sport Performance Optimizer, organic apple, organic banana

4:15PM - Organic banana, EmergenC drink

4:45PM - Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Vanilla Almondilla flavor, bowl of organic avocado, organic chili beans hummus, salsa, organic chips

7:00PM - Organic apple

10:00PM - Nearly a whole bag of organic kettle chips (nice!)

12:00AM - A handful of organic kettle chips, 2 popsicles

1:45AM - Organic orange, organic banana

Notes: Sleep schedule still isn't very good. Low calories today, gotta boost it up tomorrow.

Monday June 7, 2010

10AM - Organic Orange

12:00PM - Handful of organic kettle chips

1:00PM - 3 organic oranges

2:00PM - Organic banana

2:30PM - Handfuls of mixed nuts, Vega Shake & Go Smoothie Vanilla Almondilla flavor

3:00PM - Organic banana

4:30PM - 2 Organic bananas, Vega Sport Performance Optimizer, 2 Emergen C packets with water

6:45PM - Vega energy bar

7:15PM - Organic brown rice crackers with Daiya cheese

7:45PM - 3 or 4 organic corn tortillas with Daiya cheese, popsicle

9:30PM - 3 organic tortillas with Daiya cheese, 2 popsicles

11:25PM - Organic orange

1:00AM - 3 organic tortillas with Daiya cheese, 2 popsicles

2:15AM - Organic banana

Notes: At about 14 times today. I feel very fortunate that I can do this. When my book makes a ton of money I will make sure that funds go to animals and humans to be able to afford the same luxury to be able to eat whenever they want. I don't take it for granted, ever.

1:00PM - Bowl of organic avocado, organic chili beans, hummus and salsa with organic chips

Hey, thanks to you, I just made this! But I did it like a layered dip kinda deal. Smashed up the avocado and put it on the bottom, hummus over it, salsa on top of that. a can of kidney beans and a can of pinto beans on top, with chopped cilantro. blue corn chips of course. Thanks for the idea!