Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:00 pm 
Elephant

Fallen_Horse wrote:
You get it cheap there? It's $12/lb here in Denver...

I actually think it's a bit more expensive over here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:14 pm 
Rabbit

Not totally sure if it's been mentioned here yet or not, but I like to use pumpkin seed protein powder. It's by omega nutrition. About 10g protein per 50 calories. I find I can also mix it into my morning pancake batter, and just added some to some cookies I made. It doesnt have any weird sweeteners or flavours added to it, and is tastes pretty nuetral.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 pm 
Rabbit

orlandont wrote:
The Muscle & Fitness is still on newsstands. It has a guy holding up some raw steak with "Eat like a man" text. BUT- They look at alternative protein powders and breakdown who they would be good for. Uniformly, they're all for vegans. Buckwheat protein got the biggest boost. First time I've heard of it. Hemp protein was recommended to NOT use before or after workouts, due to the high fat to protein ratio and fiber. Brown Rice protein was recommended, too.

The article says there's more recommendations online, but I couldn't find the link.

Hm interesting. I like mixing hemp with oatmeal and soymilk. I'd have a bowl every night before going to bed and looking back now, I think it's what helped me gain muscle the most.
I have tried Manitoba and Ruth's. Now recently trying to do the same I'm having Nutiva 50% Protein.

I hate commenting on taste when it comes to protein sources, but I think Nutiva by far has the lightest taste.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:09 pm 
Rabbit

For you Trueprotein.com costumers, this is my first time ordering, I was thinking about getting a mix of pea and rice (50/50) 5lbs to try out. Do you add any additives, supplements, etc.?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm 
Elephant

Most people would recommend getting a premium flavor...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:36 pm 
Rabbit

how about additives? supplements? Anything extra?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:03 am 
Manatee

I just tried this (much cheaper) Vega knockoff - http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Food-Vegan-Be ... B00276BKBS

It's pretty gross with just water but will probably be fine in smoothies. I haven't had vega so I can't say if it's better or worse tasting, but it is definitely strong.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:11 pm 
Rabbit

PMA wrote:
For you Trueprotein.com costumers, this is my first time ordering, I was thinking about getting a mix of pea and rice (50/50) 5lbs to try out. Do you add any additives, supplements, etc.?

I get the premium choco PB.. its sweetened with sucralose which sucks but the stevia flavors dont appeal to me...
Also, their rice protein has a weird grainy consistency.. but with the pea it should be ok.. I did have the 100% pea which is pretty good (it thickens up a lot when wet) now i have 50/50 hemp and pea.. again the hemp has an odd flavor to it.. but you get used to it..

Post subject: Warning: Nutribiotic Rice Protein contaminated with lead
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:31 pm 
Finch

Hello fellow vegans,

I subscribe to Consumer Lab (CL), a 3rd party organization that tests herbs/supplements/vitamins to ensure that they contain what they claim.

On 5/4/10 CL posted their test results of a variety of protein powders. Included in that test was Nutribiotic Rice Protein, Vanilla Flavor. The powder was rated as "not approved" because they found "6 to 18 mcg of lead per daily serving (in 1 to 3 scoops)."

I used to use this protein powder, as I'm sure many of you do, too. I actually quit it in 2009 (after I ran out) because I noticed in 2008 that the ingredients label had changed and that the rice was no longer from California. I actually contacted the company in late 2008 and asked where the rice was now coming from. I was told: "The majority of our raw materials come from a grower in California, however, we may at times use raw materials from Pakistan, India, or China."

This was during or shortly after some of the melamine scare that was going on, so I decided to play it safe and didn't buy any after that. CL, by the way, did not find melamine or any other contaminants in the powder besides the lead.

On another note, Metagenics® UltraMeal® Rice Natural Chocolate Flavor, a product with which I am unfamiliar, was also "not approved", again for lead contamination ("Found 5.9 mcg of lead per daily serving").

Last, Nature's Plus® Spiru-Tein Vanilla, which I am also unfamiliar with, was also "not approved." However, in this case it was because the product had more sugar/carbs than the label stated.

So 3 of the 4 rice proteins they tested had issues. Bummer. I hope that isn't indicative of the rice protein industry in general. At any rate, lead intake should obviously be minimized, so buyer beware.

I have been lurking here for years and have never posted, but I couldn't let this news slip by. Thanks to all of you for the info, inspiration, and amusement you have provided me during that time!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:53 pm 
Stegosaurus

Thanks for posting. I used to use the chocolate flavour but I switched for something cheaper.

Feel free to de-lurk and start posting more!

Post subject: Re: Warning: Nutribiotic Rice Protein contaminated with lead
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:56 pm 
Rabbit

daveray wrote:
Hello fellow vegans,

I subscribe to Consumer Lab (CL), a 3rd party organization that tests herbs/supplements/vitamins to ensure that they contain what they claim.

On 5/4/10 CL posted their test results of a variety of protein powders. Included in that test was Nutribiotic Rice Protein, Vanilla Flavor. The powder was rated as "not approved" because they found "6 to 18 mcg of lead per daily serving (in 1 to 3 scoops)."

I used to use this protein powder, as I'm sure many of you do, too. I actually quit it in 2009 (after I ran out) because I noticed in 2008 that the ingredients label had changed and that the rice was no longer from California. I actually contacted the company in late 2008 and asked where the rice was now coming from. I was told: "The majority of our raw materials come from a grower in California, however, we may at times use raw materials from Pakistan, India, or China."

This was during or shortly after some of the melamine scare that was going on, so I decided to play it safe and didn't buy any after that. CL, by the way, did not find melamine or any other contaminants in the powder besides the lead.

On another note, Metagenics® UltraMeal® Rice Natural Chocolate Flavor, a product with which I am unfamiliar, was also "not approved", again for lead contamination ("Found 5.9 mcg of lead per daily serving").

Last, Nature's Plus® Spiru-Tein Vanilla, which I am also unfamiliar with, was also "not approved." However, in this case it was because the product had more sugar/carbs than the label stated.

So 3 of the 4 rice proteins they tested had issues. Bummer. I hope that isn't indicative of the rice protein industry in general. At any rate, lead intake should obviously be minimized, so buyer beware.

I have been lurking here for years and have never posted, but I couldn't let this news slip by. Thanks to all of you for the info, inspiration, and amusement you have provided me during that time!

Dave

Now you need to have some of trueprotein's protein tested :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:28 am 
Gorilla

xjohanx wrote:
I tried jarrows brown rice like two months ago and now I'm hooked on it. It doesn't shake well but if I use a blender it comes out real nice.

That's what I have! Got it in vanilla flavor and use it in this fruit smoothie of awesome.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:19 pm 
Manatee

Krystyna wrote:
Not totally sure if it's been mentioned here yet or not, but I like to use pumpkin seed protein powder. It's by omega nutrition. About 10g protein per 50 calories. I find I can also mix it into my morning pancake batter, and just added some to some cookies I made. It doesnt have any weird sweeteners or flavours added to it, and is tastes pretty nuetral.

I eat pumpkin seed butter daily. I've never seen the powder, though.

Regarding powders, I think hemp protein is by far the best for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:54 am 
Finch

vega wholefood optimizer is probably my favorite non soya protein powder, i have used a few rice protein powders but they were unflavoured and hemp seed although good is a nightmare to try get down also, tastes horrible in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 pm 
Finch

I was going to start a new thread, but this board is already rife with protein powder post.

I have been using Vega protein for a few weeks, and I do like it. I especially like that it contains most of my needed vitamins so I have no need for a one-a-day.

However, it is very very very very pricey and I am currently an unemployed full time student.

I saw nitro fusion and it contains a good amount of protein and is far more inexpensive. It doesn't have all the additional vitamins. I'm afraid I won't get all the vitamins that I need from my actual food intake. I've heard horror stories about lack of B12 vitamins causing dementia, ha!

A good one-a-day could cost me 20 bucks for a months supply, so shouldn't I just stick with the vega?

I work out hard, but my food discipline is not all there yet. One contributing factor is my current financial situation. In light of that, I fear that I will not got all the vitamins that I need. This is very important for vegans, as we know.

I hate coming to this board as though it's an oracle , but I feel as though many of you have hit financial walls before...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next