Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:44 pm 
Rabbit

robert wrote:
To see what I typically eat, go to this page:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/nutrition.html

The link doesn't work. A 404 error is provided, unfortunately.

Post subject: Re: Nutrition Question - Can I see what you typically eat?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:07 pm 
Rabbit

Today- I worked out before breakfast and then ate...

7 am - oatmeal with almond milk and a scoop of protein powder
watermelon slices
slice of wheat bread with peanut butter
H20 and coffee

( I usually eat a snack between bkfast and dinner but was almost late for work...so today..no in between snack!)

12 pm - quinoa with mixed veggies, lentils, kidney beans and spaghetti sauce
apple
h20

3:00 pm - protein shake and an orange

4:00 pm stopped for coffee @ Bronzeville Coffeehouse

7:00 pm leftover quinoa pasta with veggies, lentils,kidney beans,spaghetti sauce and added a slice of tofu
apple. H20

8:00 I always end with dessert! Tofu with coconut milk and sweetend with stevia. A handful of nuts and some crushed cereal to top it. And a cup of tea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:37 pm 
Gorilla

Weightlifting days:

Breakfast:
Tea
EAA's
Fruit

25g BCAA's During Workout

Post Workout: >250 kcal
Meal replacement powder and protein blend
Piece of fruit or two

Snack: >250 kcal
Small Amount of Seeds or Nut Butter
20g Protein Powder
EGCG

Snack: >250 kcal
45g Protein Powder
10g Flaxseed Oil
EGCG

Dinner:
1 Cup of Lentils, 1 Cup of Peas, 1 Cup of Brown Rice, 1 Cup of Mixed Veggies, 45g Peanut Butter, 2 Slices of Sprouted Bread, 1 Cup of Berries, 1 tbsp Olive Oil, 16g Nutritional Yeast. Cup of coffee for desert

I fast 2 or 3 times a week for 12-24 hour fasts. One or two days fall on cardio days.

Breakfast:
Tea [w/ small bit of agave on cardio days]

25g BCAA's during workout

Snack:
5g BCAA's
+30 minutes
Tea
EGCG

Snack:
5g BCAA's
+30 minutes
Tea
EGCG

Dinner:
1 Cup of Lentils, 1 Cup of Peas, 1 Cup of Brown Rice, 1 Cup of Mixed Veggies, 45g Peanut Butter, 2 Slices of Sprouted Bread, 1 Cup of Berries, 1 tbsp Olive Oil, 16g Nutritional Yeast, Piece of Fruit

Dinner pt 2 1 or 2 hours later:
90g Protein, 30g Meal replacement, 1 Piece of Fruit, 10g Flaxseed Oil, 2 tbsp Nut/Seed Butter. I drink this monster shake while I am watching TV :]

I have applied pretty much all my protocols from my old diet to my new diet. Feels business as usual. Still slamming the iron pretty hard. ^_^;

Today I had an off day cause I wanted a treat and ate:
Breakfast:
10g EAA's
Tea
Fruit

25g BCAA's during workout

Pwo:
45g Protein
1 Banana, bit of agave

Snack:
Some walnuts and 20g Protein
EGCG

Snack:
10g Flaxseed oil, 45g Protein Powder, EGCG

Dinner:
1 Burrito, 1 Can of Chili Seasoned Pinto Beans, 1 Cup of Rice, 1 Dollop of this weird vegan sour cream I found<--pretty yummy, 1 Cup of Rice, 1 Cup of mixed veggies, 2 tbsp Peanut Butter and a lemon lime popsicle thingy.

Barely mixed up my macros too. >:]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:00 am 
Finch

I just picked up Jillian Michael's Making the Cut a couple of days ago after hearing good things from another non-meat eating friend. My friend however is still trying to figure out how to adjust Jillian's recommended diet plan as it is not vegan-friendly.

Her menu plans are designed to balance out proteins, carbs and fat based on how fast or slow one's metabolism functions. So for example, based on the quiz in the book, I would follow the balanced diet and some mornings for breakfast she lists cottage cheese or for lunch roast beef philly wrap....don't know how to substitute those with something vegan that will come close in terms of protein equivalency. Or does that even matter?

Not sure if anyone here has tried this program or any of her others, but the objective for this one is to get lean in 30 days, shedding those last 10-20 lbs. Would I be better off following parts of Robert's pre-contest diet, or perhaps borrowing some of the strategies other members have posted?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:22 am 
Elephant

Personally I don't care for diets that talk about 'blood type' or 'metabolism type' or 'hormone response type' or any other categories of people. Yeah people are different, but usually those 'type' diet books are just a gimmick to differentiate themselves from the thousands of other diet books.

You simply need to restrict calories, get lots of protein and veggies, and exercise. Those are the three things. Stick with it and you will get results! And feel free to ask for more details if you need them. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:10 am 
Elephant

Fallen_Horse wrote:

You simply need to restrict calories, get lots of protein and veggies, and exercise. Those are the three things. Stick with it and you will get results! And feel free to ask for more details if you need them. :)

I would like more details.
To eat lots of protein and veggies, does it mean I can eat pork ribs, 10 cans of tuna per day, and lots of romaine lettuce with chocolate dazed donuts ? Also, if I am someone who is terribly skinny and I want to gain mass, I need to restrict calories ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:46 am 
Manatee

Fallen_Horse wrote:

It is not that simple. All calories are created equal. If I am maintaining my weight on 2400 calories a day and consuming say 100g of fiber, and I restrict calories to 2100 calories a day by eliminating the thing with the fiber and replacing it with something that has a lower calorie count, but no fiber, I am now gaining 100 calories a day, whereas before I was maintaining my weight.

There has to be much more thought put into what you eat and what those calories represent.

KRW wrote:
I just picked up Jillian Michael's Making the Cut a couple of days ago after hearing good things from another non-meat eating friend. My friend however is still trying to figure out how to adjust Jillian's recommended diet plan as it is not vegan-friendly.

I wouldn't recommend listening to anything Jillian Michael says. Almost every personal trainer I have talked with thinks she is a joke and a huge sell out. No professional PT would ever do the things to an obese individual that she does on her show. And, she knows nothing about nutrition. If she did know something about nutrition, she wouldn't have to make a 300 pound woman run 5 miles to lose weight.

I am working on getting cut right now. I am doing P90X and some long slow distance exercises. I track my calories on fitday.com and restrict them from 500 to 1000 calories a day. I upped my protein intake with pea and rice protein and occasionally seitan and tofu to help maintain body mass. I am taking in anywhere from 20%-40% protein daily and 60 - 120 grams of fiber. It is slowly working for me, but considering I have had this fat since I was a baby, I expect it to be difficult.

Http://www.NellieMcKay.com

"I don't eat rabbit food, I eat elephant food!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:49 pm 
Elephant

I'm Your Man wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:

I would like more details.
To eat lots of protein and veggies, does it mean I can eat pork ribs, 10 cans of tuna per day, and lots of romaine lettuce with chocolate dazed donuts ? Also, if I am someone who is terribly skinny and I want to gain mass, I need to restrict calories ?

Pork ribs are mostly fat, not protein. Romaine lettuce is good for you. Donuts are not protein or veggies. And she isn't looking to gain mass, she is looking to lose weight.

Ducati wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:

It is not that simple. All calories are created equal. If I am maintaining my weight on 2400 calories a day and consuming say 100g of fiber, and I restrict calories to 2100 calories a day by eliminating the thing with the fiber and replacing it with something that has a lower calorie count, but no fiber, I am now gaining 100 calories a day, whereas before I was maintaining my weight.

There has to be much more thought put into what you eat and what those calories represent.

I think you are proving my point? I told her to eat veggies and protein, and eat under her maintenance calories. How does there need to be more detail than that?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:20 pm 
Manatee

Fallen_Horse wrote:

I think you are proving my point? I told her to eat veggies and protein, and eat under her maintenance calories. How does there need to be more detail than that?[/quote]

Look at the math I presented. You can eat less than your maintenance calories and gain weight if you eat the right foods to maintain your weight, and the wrong foods to restrict your calories. For example, replacing lentils with avocados (a vegetable which is 75% fat).

And according to fitday, pork ribs are mostly protein. About 2/3's protein and 1/3 fat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 pm 
Finch

Thank you everyone for your input and advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:19 pm 
Elephant

Ducati wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:
I think you are proving my point? I told her to eat veggies and protein, and eat under her maintenance calories. How does there need to be more detail than that?

Look at the math I presented. You can eat less than your maintenance calories and gain weight if you eat the right foods to maintain your weight, and the wrong foods to restrict your calories. For example, replacing lentils with avocados (a vegetable which is 75% fat).

And according to fitday, pork ribs are mostly protein. About 2/3's protein and 1/3 fat.

I disagree, but apparently the OP is satisfied. Oh, and pork ribs are 54% fat http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/2270/2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:53 pm 
Manatee

You disagree with fact? Ok then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:42 pm 
Elephant

FallenHorse you agree with the ten cans of tuna per day ? You didn't say anything about it , and it works with your 3 rules.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:58 am 
Elephant

Ducati wrote:
You disagree with fact? Ok then.

Sigh.
I'm Your Man wrote:
FallenHorse you agree with the ten cans of tuna per day ? You didn't say anything about it , and it works with your 3 rules.

Yes, as long as you watch the mercury levels...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:07 am 
Manatee

Fallen_Horse,

You disagree that fiber is not readily digestable? Please show some studies that show the carbs in fiber are available for energy. You keep saying it is as simple as burn more calories than you consume, but then you also state that we should eat veggies and protein. Why can't someone eat donuts and potato chips and keep their calories below their maintenance calories?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next