What bikes should I look at?

at that price range, get the one with the best component group. You'll be better off with an alumnium frame and ultegra, if you can find it. Manufacturer really doesn't matter. Just get the one that fits and you like the most with the best components.

If you want to roll the dice, look at Felt. They have hit or miss quality control, but they're decent frames with a great component spec for not a ton of money.

or www.bikesdirect.com and buy the most expensive one you can afford. you can get a bike with an acceptable frame and a good group for under a grand. Then, when/if you get serious about racing, get into a different frame and swap components.

Thanks for the replies and thanks Ted for the list.

I really have no idea how to decide. The specialized does look the "coolest" though if that means anything.

Do I want one with the crazy handles? Whats the advantage of those?

Also my local bike store has Garneau, are they any good?

Thanks for the replies and thanks Ted for the list.

I really have no idea how to decide. The specialized does look the "coolest" though if that means anything.

Do I want one with the crazy handles? Whats the advantage of those?

Also my local bike store has Garneau, are they any good?

what do you mean by crazy handles?

garneau are good....most beginner bikes are going to have the same quality of components....go and ride a few and see which one feels better.

also there is no shame in picking one of those based on looks, its your bike, the more you like it the more you will ride it.

Just handles that are not straight across like normal. I guess those are regular for road bikes though.

Only bike I have owned was one I found, that was rough to say the least, so pretty much anything feels good.

yeah those are normal road bars.

post pics when you decide.

at that price range, get the one with the best component group. You'll be better off with an alumnium frame and ultegra, if you can find it. Manufacturer really doesn't matter. Just get the one that fits and you like the most with the best components.

If you want to roll the dice, look at Felt. They have hit or miss quality control, but they're decent frames with a great component spec for not a ton of money.

Yup that's great advice.

If you plan to eventually use it in a triathalon or something, go with drop bars, and then you can easily attach some clip on aerobars if you want them later.

Also, if you have a choice, go with better wheels. A lot of low end new bikes these days use really poor wheels that break spokes and stuff pretty easily. Personally I would go with a little lower quality frame to have enough $ for a little better wheel.

If you know what you're looking for, you might be able to find some nice deals on craigslist. But if you get a used rig with anything carbon on the frameset, check it over very carefully for cracks and chips.

How do I know what good wheels are? Which bike on Ted's list has the best wheels?

to worry about wheels, at this point, is not a good idea...

bikes now a days come with great beginner wheelsets....if you are breaking spokes, you are doing something wrong, the road wheels on beginner bikes, at least from the "bigger" bike companies" are pretty bomb proof, unless you are hitting crazy pot holes and lots of curbs...

there are many other bike co. to choose from, i wanted to give you some ideas... you should look around and post links on bikes you are interested in, and i will look at specific components, and wheels and everything and give advice.

Best advice I can give is don't by into the hyped products, the bike industry is notorious for this. There is always going to be a frame or part that is lighter and claims to be 'faster' but at the end of the day is 1 km/hour on your top speed really worth 4 grand more. I ride an old steel Bianchi It weights in at 21 lbs that's a lead weight by todays standards, with some bikes weighting in as low as 15lbs. How does that affect me on race day? It doesn't, I can't count how many times I've zoomed past guys on their fancy carbon fiber bikes with $10000 price tags. Bikes aren't fast riders are fast, and when your skill has improved such that a new bike or new part is warranted, you'll know.

I think that's so true. A good rider on an old heavier steel racing bike can blow anyone off the road that thinks they can buy speed with some cash and a new gimmick. You just need something reliable to train on.

Idk I have talked to alot of people over the last while that bought new cheaper bikes with trashy rims or trashy spokes or both. Of course a lot of how even those hold up has to do with how the wheel gets taken care of at the shop, and you should probs keep an eye on the spokes and all the cables after the first bunch of miles anyways. The bike shop you get it from should do a free 30 day check over for you.

I was just looking around at the cheaper road models at Performance Bikes. I would definitely upgrade the wheels if i was going to buy one of those things.

I just bought a Trek Fuel 6. Got a great deal, so I can afford to customize it a little to fit me better. If you want to train, then get a mountain bike with full suspension, and have the read suspension really soft. Boy, what a workout! Even the biggest, most out of shape people on the trail with a road bike can pass me.

• 2 weeks later...

Careful buying these used...

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 30, 2010

Release #10-290

Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 433-5887

CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772

CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Felt Bicycles Recalls Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard

WASHINGTON , D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: 2009 Felt model B12, B16 and S32 road bicycles

Units: About 2,100 bicycles

Importer: Felt Bicycles, of Irvine, Calif.

Manufacturer: ADK Technology Limited of China

Hazard: The bicycle's fork steer tube can break, causing the rider to lose control, fall and suffer injuries.

Incidents/Injuries: Felt Bicycles has received seven reports of the bicycle forks breaking. Minor injuries, including bumps and bruises were reported in one of the incidents.

Description: The recall includes all 2009 Felt model B12, B16 and S32 road bicycles.

2009 B12 - These bicycles are gloss silver/carbon and have carbon fiber frames with carbon fiber forks with aluminum steer tubes.

2009 B16 - These bicycles are matte black/red and have carbon fiber frames with carbon fiber forks with aluminum steer tubes.

2009 S32 - These bicycles are available in gloss white/red and have aluminum frames with carbon fiber forks with aluminum steer tubes.

Sold at: Bicycle specialty stores nationwide from October 2008 through May 2010 for between about $2,300 and $3,100 per bicycle.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled bicycles and contact your local Felt Bicycles dealer to receive a free inspection and repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, call Felt Bicycles toll-free at (866) 433-5887 or (866) 4-FELT-US, or visit the firm's website at www.feltracing.com

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled products, please go to:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10290.html

Shimano Tiagra or 105 is is nice to train on but SRAM is good too because it's louder... and i think if you're new to road biking it's kind of cool to hear what you're doing instead of having to look. But honestly, if you're just gonna train on the bike, any kind of old functional, working components like derailleurs and shifters will be fine. I rock old Suntour on one of my bikes and it kicks ass. But like someone here said before: you can't go wrong with higher quality components and it's worth it to put more into your gruppo because your taste and needs in frame may change, or your sizing for that matter (especially if you end up working with an injury.) Wheels and hubs are important though, my advice is to not cheese on them.

those felt bikes are way out of the price rage he was talking about.

Perhaps but you never know. Someone might be trying to dump some somewhere. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have seen. But also I put that there for general info in a thread with a title like this. Isn't that cool? Aren't you glad you have this info now Mr Trendy?

Hows Mavic Kysrium for a wheelset?

What other good wheelsets are there? Is it viable to buy rims, hubs and spokes all separate? I heard once that its a difficult process spoking the wheels, but that was for motorcycles. What does it cost at a LBS?

those felt bikes are way out of the price rage he was talking about.

Perhaps but you never know. Someone might be trying to dump some somewhere. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have seen. But also I put that there for general info in a thread with a title like this. Isn't that cool? Aren't you glad you have this info now Mr Trendy?

yeah its cool....its just there are lots of recalls and defects every year, a good bike mfg. will accept your defected part and replace it no problem, and i only mentioned cause those bikes are way above what he was initially asking about.

not being mean in my computer tone, just saying.

bikes not bombs, cheers.

Hows Mavic Kysrium for a wheelset?

What other good wheelsets are there? Is it viable to buy rims, hubs and spokes all separate? I heard once that its a difficult process spoking the wheels, but that was for motorcycles. What does it cost at a LBS?

dont worry about building a wheel, even most veterans dont so this.

you can't go wrong with mavic, they are the kings of the road and have been around forever, they specialize in super durable wheels that are great for touring and training.

you can find a great pair of mavic kysrium on craigslist or ebay for no more than a $200-$300, depending on year and specific type.

• 5 months later...

Personally I really like Campagnolo for components, as they are known for they're durability and reliability, and the fact that they can be repaired instead of simply being replaced (something that you can't say for Shimano). They cost a little more but in my opinion its well worth it. My personal preference aside pretty much any modern mid range groupset will function quite well and odds are that as a beginner you wont notice a huge difference in shifting or otherwise no matter which groupset you choose

As far as wheels go Mavic Kysrium is absolutely one of the best bang for your buck wheelsets.