coroho's strength training log

6/26/10

Squats: 102kg 3,3,1

Bench: 66kg 3

After this point I said fuck it I'll try again next time. There are a number of factors that could have contributed to my performance today, I'm hoping it's not just the lower amount of food I've been eating. We'll see next time and I'll adjust my food intake accordingly (but seriously 3k cals is too extreme a cut? How much food do I need for maint?)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6/29/10

BW: 165.7

Squats: 102kg 4,2

Bench: 166kg 3x5

Power Cleans: 45kg 5x3

Squats were hard again, gave up when I wasn't gonna get the set. Bench was easy. I noticed on my cleans sometimes I was definitely pulling with my arms, I'll have to watch for that.

7/1/10

Squats: 97.5kg 3x5

OHPress: 45kg 5,4,3

Deadlift: 102kg 1x4

Chinups: 6,6,5

I'm starting to think this calorie restriction stuff is stupid and/or I'm doing it wrong. Stopped right there on the deadlifts cause my form was already shit. Made progress in chinups, I guess those few pounds I dropped matter? As an lol, I wore some old boxers to the gym today and the ass totally split when I was at the bottom of a squat.

7/5/10

BW: 164.1

Squats: 84kg 3x5

Bench Press: 61kg 1x5, 66kg 1x5, 70kg 1x5

Had to drag myself to the gym today. I went light on squats but it was still harder than it should have been. The third set was much better than the rest though. Was testing out what I could do on bench, was glad I could still hit 70kg for 5. Didn't have time to do more. I'm gonna get back into it for real next week. Using this week to prepare for everything I need (started taking creatine again, gonna look into some weightlifting shoes, figure out some more meals to eat).

7/7/10

Squats: 93kg 5,4,5

OHPress: 44kg 5,4,3

Deadlift: 109kg 1x3

Chinups: 7,6,6

Once again, no improvement on anything but the chinups. I'm starting to eat more again, haven't lost any more weight. Ordered some shoes. Can't wait to start getting my strength back.

7/9/10

Squats: 97.5kg 3,3

Bench Press: 70kg 4,5,3

Power Cleans: 40kg 2x3 45kg 3x3

Pullups: 5,4,3

Well, it seems clear nothing's going to give on squats til I start eating more. I'm really just very tired of most things I eat right now. Gotta figure something out soon. Today on squats I stopped early cause I was feeling a pain in the inside of my left thigh. Should be better by next week.

7/12/10

BW: 164.5lbs

Squats: 97.5kg 4,4,5

OHPress: 44kg 3x5

Deadlift: 109kg 1x5

Chinups: +10lb 3x5

Wore my new weightlifting shoes today, definitely helped on squats and could've made the difference in OHP. I think I was still getting used to them during squats, didn't feel comfortable going for the fifth one til the last set. On OHP I felt like I would've missed a couple reps normally but I was able to push through and stay straight. Then again I deadlifted barefoot and did better than in recent days, so it could just be that I've been eating closer to maintenance again. Chinups went well, added some weight and still got the 3x5, but barely. Decent workout today... feels good, man.

7/14/10

Bench Press: 70kg 3,3,3

Power Cleans: 45kg 3,3,3 40kg 3,3

Pullups: 5,5,4

Squats were questionable at first but each set was easier than the last. These shoes really do have you use your quads more I think, mine were pretty tired after. Couldn't manage much on bench and my clean form was wtf am I doing. Who knows, maybe it's not so bad I need to get someone who knows to watch. Almost got 3x5 on pullups, that would have been cool.

7/17/10

Squats: 100kg 3,5,5

OHPress: 45kg 4,4,5

Deadlift: 120kg 1x4

Chinups: +12.5lbs 3x5

Squats: Was using a rack with awkward pin settings. For the first set it was slightly too high to where I could barely go past parallel. Ended up making me go on my toes, so I moved 'em down for the next two sets and I was nervous but got them pretty safely.

OHP: Hard. Missed the first set, almost got the second, and finally got the last only cause I raised my intensity.

Deadlift: Noticed I was mostly finishing by raising my back. Not sure if this is just how my limbs allow me to do it or what. Anyway, I kept at it cause deadlifting was feeling really fucking good lol. That's weird but I was like getting a high. Stopped before the last rep though just to be safe.

Chinups: Pretty much like last time. Last rep of the last set was barely made, but made.

7/19/10

BW: 165.5

Squats: 84kg 3x4

Bench Press: 70kg 3,5,4

Power Cleans: 47.5kg 5x3

Pullups: 5,4,4

Went light on the squats this day cause my back was hurting, I guessed from my fuckoff deadlifts on Saturday. Didn't have a spotter on bench press the first set so I didn't push it, but did better for the next two when I did. Got my buddy to look at my power cleans and he said they were almost fine, gonna try upping the weight and figuring them out that way.

7/21/10

Squats: 102kg 3x5

OHPress: 45kg 5,5,4

Chinups: +15lb 4,5,4

My back felt kind of sore between squat sets but I pushed through anyway. Decided it'd still be better to avoid deadlifts. Good news is I got the squats with not too much trouble. However, my back's been kind of hurting since I got home so I'll probably take a break from squats on Friday too. The weight was falling out from between my legs on my first set of chinups so I probably could have done better.

7/26/10

BW: 166.6lbs

Squats: 102kg 3x5

Bench Press: 63.5kg 3x5

Power Cleans: 50kg 5x3

Pullups: 5, 3+1, 3

Back seems better, pretty much didn't even think about it over the weekend. Deloaded on bench, fml. Was still harder than it should have been. That extra weight on power cleans changed things a bit. Can definitely tell more when I'm doing them wrong. Think I had a few good ones in there even. Pullups sucked, but oh well.

7/28/10

Squats: 104kg 3x5

OHPress: 46kg 5,5,3

Deadlift: 102kg 1x5

Chinups: +15lb 5,5,3

Squats: Adding weight again, time to match my PR next time.

OHP: Came close to hitting my PR, but I think the second set took too much out of me. Gonna give this weight another shot before moving up.

Deadlift: Went light and used strict form, leading with my chest, etc. Gonna start increasing weight and be honest with myself, and hopefully I won't have to deload again.

Chinups: Same thing as on OHPs. Feel like such a bro with my biceps getting worn out, but I've been making sure to use my back too.

Nice man looks like things are getting back on track! You doing anything for abs? Might help your press. I'm considering learning to try power cleaning again. Need to start front squatting frequently though to get my flexibility sorted holding the bar there.

Chewy: No ab workouts but I probably should be, to help out with squats as well as OHPs. I haven't had much trouble with my wrists just from doing OHPs. On power cleans I only end up using two or three fingers to hold it.

7/30/10

Squats: 107kg 3x5

Bench Press: 66kg 3x5

Power Cleans: 50kg 3,3,3,2

Got through squats pretty well today. Bench Press was easier this time than last, which is good cause it was a little too hard last time. My power cleans started off pretty good but got fucked up towards the end, until I actually failed one in the last set so I just decided to try again next time. Think I was just worn out from squats lol. I tried some pullups too but only got 2 on the first set so said fuck it.

Nice squats + bench!

My rack position in OHP is prob completely wrong. I tried messing about with it but nothing felt quite right. In my head I keep my elbows up, but it's nowhere near how far up they'd be in a power clean, and the bar doesn't feel anywhere near my neck (when I get my whole hand around the bar I can't get my elbows up very far, in fact the bar doesn't really rest on both shoulders as oppose to if i hold it in my fingertips like before a front squat). I'm taking precautions anyway, last time I injured my shoulder I think it was down to poor flexibility somewhere, and of course awful form. Lol.

Yeah, my forearms are pretty much vertical during OHP, but I feel like the wrist angle is about the same for the two, it's just the arm position that changes. Jah knows I'm far from an expert on the power clean though.

8/02/10

BW: 167.7

Squats: 109kg 3x5 *PR*

OHPress: 46kg 4,4,4

Deadlift: 107kg 1x5

Felt like a so-so day in the gym, everything was heavy and I had to force it, but I'll mark it as a W cause I finally got those squats. It took all I had, but I'm hoping I can increase again on Weds. I moved houses this weekend so I didn't sleep or eat as much as normal. I tried some chinups at the end but it was like pullups last time: not happening.

8/04/10

Squats: 111kg 5,4,3

Bench Press: 68kg 3x5

Power Cleans: 50kg 3,3,2,2,3

Pullups: 4,4,3

Squats: Failed the last one of the second set, then quit early on the third. I'll be going in the afternoon rather than the morning on Friday so hopefully that serves me better.

Bench Press: I felt like just going straight to 70kg today, and maybe I should have cause these were fairly easy.

Power Cleans: Failed to rack one on my third set, then sent the next rep into my jaw lol. Safe to say I need to work on consistency.

8/06/10

Squats: 111kg 5,4,5

OHPress: 46kg 3x5

Deadlift: 111kg 1x5

Came close enough on squats. I can't believe I got those last 2 reps on my third set, but I managed it. It took all I had so I was wondering if I should even step it up or what, but fuck it why not right. Press was really hard too, worked my arms out hard and I think I kind of hurt my right bicep playing kickball later. Feels alright now though, we'll see. Deadlift went up fine, was using double overhand. Wasn't sure if my form was that great on it until I pulled my fifth one badly, so I was in fact doing alright. Just didn't have time for chinups today (kickball).

8/08/10

BW: 167.8lbs

Squats: 113.6kg 5,4,3

So I did indeed hurt my right bicep (I guess? Something in that area) on Friday. My arm started to hurt during my second set of squats but I just did my best to keep my arms out of it. Couldn't bypass it on bench though. Might take a light day on Tues if it still hurts then attack these squats again on Thurs. Anyway, squats today were heavy but a different kind of hard than last time. I've had some knee pain and I made sure to keep my knees shoved out today which I think alleviated that and helped me keep better form. These are at 1.49xBW by the way, lolfuck.

8/16/10

BW: 164.4 (?)

Squats: 84kg 3x5

Bench Press: 66kg 3x5

Power Cleans: 45kg 4x3

So the day after my last squat session I woke up and my knees hurt for real. That gradually diminished over the next few days but wasn't gone until Friday, so I just stayed away from the gym. I don't know if my bodyweight's right cause I used a different scale and have a hard time believing I lost that much weight last week. Kind of discouraging, I swear it feels like I take two steps forward and one step back.

Anyway, back in the gym today and went light on squats. First couple sets were harder than they should have been but it got easier on my third set. Tried 70kg on bench but it was too much so I went back to 66. Got some advice on power cleans from an oly lifter at my gym, apparently I was letting my hips rise too fast. Did it like he said on my last set and the bar basically shot up. Gonna have to try that next time.

8/20/10

Bench Press: 68kg 3x5

Power Cleans: 40kg 2x3, 45kg 3x3

Not mad anymore. Focused on going through my workout as methodically as possible, thinking I just gotta do what I gotta do. I think it helped both with my attitude and performance. Squats were once again easy. Didn't have any trouble with bench. Was working on the advice I got last time on power cleans and it's helped a lot. The bar used to hit closer to my hips when I would explode, but now it's hitting on my thighs and going up great.

8/23/10

BW: 165lbs

Squats: 102kg 3,5,5

OHPress: 42.5kg 3x5

Deadlift: 107kg 1x5

Squats went ok after the first set, but I think I'll repeat the weight cause I didn't like my form on some. Trying to be strict this time. Press was hard but fine. I used too much of my back on the first rep of deadlift, but corrected after and they felt much stronger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry bro, didn't see anyone had come to check on me. Nothing really notable has happened, just dealing with the same frustration and deloading and form reworking that's become my want. Really trying to eat more these days but struggling with that too. I guess it could be time to switch programs, but I keep thinking if I can't eat enough to give myself a fair shot what's the point. So hopefully something will give soon.