Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nutrition Question - Can I see what you typically eat?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:51 pm 
Elephant

Fallen_Horse wrote:
I'm Your Man wrote:
FallenHorse you agree with the ten cans of tuna per day ? You didn't say anything about it , and it works with your 3 rules.

Yes, as long as you watch the mercury levels...
Well that's the point; eating this way is NOT watching mercery levels, that's exactly why I chose tuna, this much everyday would intoxicate a person for sure. What me and Ducati are trying to say is just that it's much, much more complex than what you said with your 3 rules. There's a hundred sub-rules attached to it. Its not just "eat veggies and protein, and eat under her maintenance calories. How does there need to be more detail than that?" In order to lose weight and stay healthy, a good diet must be at least 50% : organic, raw, unprocessed whole food, lots of fruits and veggies (and an important detail you haven't mentioned, to eat no cookies, chips,etc, or very little). Because someone could eat lots of fruits, veggies, protein (and what kind?) AND eat donuts each day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:26 pm 
Elephant

Ducati wrote:
Fallen_Horse,

You disagree that fiber is not readily digestable? Please show some studies that show the carbs in fiber are available for energy. You keep saying it is as simple as burn more calories than you consume, but then you also state that we should eat veggies and protein. Why can't someone eat donuts and potato chips and keep their calories below their maintenance calories?

Oh they can, and they will die at 50 from the various ailments that come from eating that junk. My rules aren't just weight loss rules, they are rules for losing weight AND being healthy.

I'm Your Man wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:
I'm Your Man wrote:
FallenHorse you agree with the ten cans of tuna per day ? You didn't say anything about it , and it works with your 3 rules.

Yes, as long as you watch the mercury levels...
Well that's the point; eating this way is NOT watching mercery levels, that's exactly why I chose tuna, this much everyday would intoxicate a person for sure. What me and Ducati are trying to say is just that it's much, much more complex than what you said with your 3 rules. There's a hundred sub-rules attached to it. Its not just "eat veggies and protein, and eat under her maintenance calories. How does there need to be more detail than that?" In order to lose weight and stay healthy, a good diet must be at least 50% : organic, raw, unprocessed whole food, lots of fruits and veggies (and an important detail you haven't mentioned, to eat no cookies, chips,etc, or very little). Because someone could eat lots of fruits, veggies, protein (and what kind?) AND eat donuts each day.

I think you are looking way too into it. And I feel like I need to point out again that donuts and chips and cookies don't fit within my rules (look to my previous statement in this post). And it's fine if you want to argue the tuna point all day, but we are all vegans here, so obviously none of us are eating tuna, and neither was the OP, so I felt a rule saying "Oh and don't eat tuna" was pretty much a useless rule to mention, because it is. And I'm sure you won't believe this, but there are brands of tuna that test with very low mercury levels, enough to eat 10 cans a day. It seems like you are trying to turn this into a meats vs. veggies debate, which is fine, but it seems unrelated to the OP's topic...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:51 pm 
Manatee

No, your rules are not for weight loss. It is NEVER that simple. You simply state you disagree, but it is fact. It you replace your maintenance fiber calories with a lower number of calories comprised of non-fiber carbs, fat, or protein, you will gain weight.

I listened to people like you for years. "It is simple! Burn more calories then you take in." As someone who loved beans, lentils, and other high fiber foods, I was convinced to replace those high carb meals with low carb replacements. I was eating less calories and gaining weight. I replaced 300 - 400 free calories of fiber with 100 - 200 calories of protein and fat.

If it were really as simple as you say, we would all have wash board abs.

Http://www.NellieMcKay.com

"I don't eat rabbit food, I eat elephant food!"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:04 pm 
Elephant

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber#Fiber_and_calories
Fiber means nothing for a diet. If you eat a food with 100 cals and 100g of fiber and switch to a food with 100 cals and 0g of fiber, nothing will change, other than your feeling of fullness. You are still getting 100 cals of energy from food, period.

Ducati wrote:
If it were really as simple as you say, we would all have wash board abs.

It's not that it's not simple, it's that it takes motivation, work, and the ability to not use food as a stress reliever, an emotional crutch, or a temptation...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:18 pm 
Manatee

FYI, a food with 100g of fiber would, at a minimum, contain 400 calories of carbohydrates if it were 100% fiber. Look on any label. Fiber is listed under carbohydrates and is also 4 cals per gram. Those calories are listed in the total calories of the nutritional content of the food.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:13 pm 
Elephant

Ducati wrote:
Look on any label. Fiber is listed under carbohydrates and is also 4 cals per gram. Those calories are listed in the total calories of the nutritional content of the food.

You are ignoring my point, and obviously didn't read the link. But I am done arguing. It is serving no purpose at this point. Peace.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:27 pm 
Manatee

I am not ignoring your point, you are ignoring mine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:22 am 
Elephant

Fallen_Horse wrote:

I think you are looking way too into it. And I feel like I need to point out again that donuts and chips and cookies don't fit within my rules (look to my previous statement in this post). And it's fine if you want to argue the tuna point all day, but we are all vegans here, so obviously none of us are eating tuna, and neither was the OP, so I felt a rule saying "Oh and don't eat tuna" was pretty much a useless rule to mention, because it is. And I'm sure you won't believe this, but there are brands of tuna that test with very low mercury levels, enough to eat 10 cans a day. It seems like you are trying to turn this into a meats vs. veggies debate, which is fine, but it seems unrelated to the OP's topic...
Ok so your rules work for only one person. Fine, I won't disagree with that.
Concerning some brands of tuna that are tested with a low level of mercury... Define what is low, safe, acceptable... The government don't watch for our health they just manage a certain level of safety, which does not exclude a few cancers, sick people and dead people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:31 pm 
Rabbit

I'm a late day eater. It's probably not the best thing but it helps me keep my calories in check and I am never hungry in the morning.
I have no set stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner but this is what I typically eat on a daily basis.

Stir fried tofu with a medly of veggies
brown rice and beans ( any type )
oatmeal w/dried currants or a tsp of jam
vegetarian indian food ( use your imagination here. I live off of indian food almost daily )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:03 am 
Finch

I saw tuna brought up... I didn't know tuna was vegan?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 am 
Finch

I am at battle with meat eaters in the gym, who say I will never stray from a "soft" body as long as I'm Vegan! Well, I have been Vegan almost 1 year and training hard the whole time, turns out I have 98lbs of lean mass on my 5'4 frame! I am also only about 140lbs.
I have some work to do forsure as I am at 21% body fat, here is my current diet--suggestions would be wonderful

8am) Breakfast
2 Soy breakfast patties
1 Sourdough or Whole wheat english muffin
Soy cheese
Water and black coffee

11am) Post Workout
Shake containing:
1 scoop of Veg Protein Powder (roughly 23 gr protein)
1 cup raspberries
1.5 Cups almond milk
1 tbsp ground flax seed
Water

1pm) Lunch
1 block tofu pan fried in 1 tea olive oil
1/4 cup edamame
1/4 cup slice mushrooms
1 tbsp of low cal/low carb stir fry sauce
150 calories work of 85% cocoa dark chocolate
Water

3pm) Snack
Vegan Protein Bar containing 16 g protein
Water

6pm) Dinner
Soy chicken breast
2 cups spinach
1 oz shredded soy cheese

8pm) B4 bed
Protein powder mixed with water

My diet is generally 30-40% protein, 30-40% carbs and 15-20% fat
I usually eat between 1400-1600 calories daily
I do 60min-120min of cardio per day and weight train 6x a week
I want to move from 21% body fat--16% body fat.

Do you think I am on the right track?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:10 pm 
Gorilla

Standard day for me:

1st meal: 2 scoops chocolate Vega Whole Meal Optimizer, 1.25 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 banana, ice in a blender.

2nd meal: veggie burger, with or without Daiya cheese, either with salsa or mustard.

3rd meal: some form of veggie mixture, either a serving of my veggie casserole or a veggie wrap

4th meal: repeat of second

5th meal: Veggies with hummus

6th meal: protein smoothie: 1 banana, 1/4 cup pineapple, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 serving vanilla flavored brown rice protein powder, 1 serving vanilla flavored Vegan Protein, ice in a blender

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:49 am 
Rabbit

I have in a day:

2 bowls of about 60 grams of oats (two protein powder sized scoops) and a handful of trail mix nuts and seeds.
1 bowl of about 60 grams of Quinoa boiled and mixed with organic tomato pasta sauce.
~5 dates
~5 apricots
~1 banana
~Tahini spoonful
~ Coconut oil and walnut oil 1 spoon each
~ 2-3 spoons of blackberry 100% fruit no sugar jam.

AND if I come across salad or veggies I just eat a big bowl. But some days I don't so I have not put on the list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:30 pm 
Rabbit

1. 1 cup of orange juice, 1 apple, 1 tbsp molases, 2 medjule dates
(Train)
2. Protein shake (24grams of protein ((Sprouted Brown Rice Protein)), 1 banana, 2 medjule dates, 1tsp maca)
3. 3/4 cup of dry steel cut oats (When I cook them, They expand to more than 3/4 cups. so maybe like 2 1/2 cup of cooked steel cut oats?), 2tbsp flax seed, 1 apple.
4. Green smothie (Kale, Collard Chard, and Carrots, 1tsp spirlina, 2 dates, 1 banana, 24grams of protein (Sprouted brown Rice Protein),
5. 1 cup of Lentil Dahl, 1/2cup of wheat berries
6. Cold Slaw, 4tbsp Hemp Seed
7. 1 cup adzukie beans
8. 1tbsp flax before bed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:46 pm 
Gorilla

I'm still working out some kinks in the middle of the day and seeing if there is any positive change when I have 2400 days vs 2300 days but my diet looks like this, in general. It's about 2200-2300 kcal a day which I function well on. I don't have nor do I crave much diversity in my diet besides swapping out lentils with beans and rotating my veggies, nut butters, seeds, and nuts, and carbs. I mostly bake and if I do bake something I replace my oats before bed with it, like a huge lump of pumpkin bread and soymilk. :D I drink about 100 ounces of water a day, and usually have 4-8 cups of tea scattered around.

Breakfast:
1 Slice of Sprouted Bread

PWO:
15g Now True Food Vegan, 30g Rice Protein Isolate, 1/4 TSP EGCG
1 Piece of Fruit

Snack:
100g Edamame or 1 Glass of Soymilk
32g Nut Butter

Snack:
15g Now True Food Vegan, 30g Rice Protein Isolate, 1/4 TSP EGCG
1 TBSP Flaxseed Meal or Ground Seeds

Dinner:
300g Lentils or Beans (Usually with onion, garlic, and sometimes carrots and celery)
140g Whole Wheat Pasta or 200g Brown Rice
100g Steamed Veggies
1 TBSP Olive Oil or 1 TBSP Tahini, or 1/2 an Avocado
16g Nut Butter and 14g Nuts

Snack:
100g Oats w/ 40g Raisins or Cranberries and 1 TBSP Sweetener or Stevia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next