How much to lift?

I am just starting out with trying to gain some weight/muscle. I'm 6'1" at 145lbs... so yea im tall and skinny, lol. I read the sample workout and have read the ideas on calorie intake and nutrition. What I'm curious is how much weight should I be lifting. I heard from a friend thats on the highschool wrestling team that they make them lift 60% of their max in order to build muscle. Is this true?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Kyle,

How are you doing?

I think some of us on here my have different ideas for you and different suggestions based on our own experiences, our knowledge, and what we have seen work for ourselves and others.

So, I'm sure you'll get a variety of replies, which is always a good thing, many different options, ideas and suggestions to think about.

What ever you decide, be sure to start out slow. If you are totally new to weight lifting, have someone with experience show you the proper techniques. Learn how to do some of the basic movements and exercises in a weight lifting program and then start out with a weight that is managable for you to do 15-20 repetitions. This will help your muscles get adjusted to the new stress being put on them and help you adapt to a training program.

Spend a few weeks learning the movements and doing 20-rep range exercises until things become comfortable. Then.....you can adjust your rep range and also experience other types of exercises, new lifts, etc.

Make sure you take time to warm up, stretch, drink water during your training sessions. Be sure to eat afterwards to repair torn muscle fibers and help yourself grow bigger muscles.

Learn how to do the bench press, lat pull-downs and rowing exercises for the back. Get familiar with cables if you have access to them at a gym to do arm and shoulder exercises. Get used to doing old fashioned bicep curls and triceps extensions. Start out slow with the legs and don't jump right into squats, work up to them. Use leg extensions, leg presses, and lunges first to build up some strength and get the muscles use to training.

As far as a percentage of max I don't know. I train pretty hard, pretty high intensity but with manageable weights and do 8-12 reps and get a good pump and build muscle.

I'm sure you'll get some other feedback as well. It's late and I've got to get up early, so keep on posting and asking questions. We're happy to have you here on the board.

Take care and best of luck in your program, ask questions about anything, anytime.

Hi there vegan kyle,

Wrestling is an explosive sport in nature. You need to train explosively for this sport. However, seeing that you are just starting to work out, Robert has given you a great way to start out.

Periodization is the key. Basically it is cycles. For example, Rob suggested to start with 20 rep ranges. What you want to do in this first cycle is to learn the movements and strengthen your ligaments and tendons so that you can prevent injury. Spend between 3 to 5 weeks on this.

Also dont forget your cardio.

we come from the same place, from somwhere around the skinny as hell and over 6' tall area. Before I started bulking the first time I was 6'2'' and about 155. I have tried a lot of different things when it comes to how much weight to lift and I have found what works best for me.

I never do more than 8 reps per set. It is classic of the ectomorph body(the naturally skinny w/ less muscle mass) to be built the fastest with less reps with higher intesity. I lift way more than 60% of my max, somtimes I get closer to 90%.

Currently I am pushing 170, shooting for 190 and doing more weight at less reps is getting me there faster than anything else has done.

MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW ROB'S INSTRUCTIONS ON STARTING OUT. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT POWER LIFTING/BODY BUILDING IS MAKING SURE YOU HAVE GOOD FORM TO START OUT. IF YOU HAVE BAD FORM THE WEIGHT YOU LIFT WILL NOT BE BENEFICIAL AND WILL PROBABLY HURT YOUR BODY IN THE LONG RUN

OHHHHHHH, and make sure that you stretch before, after and during your sets.

so a warm up would be like cardio? or are we talking about doing 20-rep range exercise on light weights?

Warm up could be light weight or cardio. I personally prefer cardio, you cna do it on ergometers (bikes) and choose the Warm Up setting. Also do a cool down, same as warm up just that it returns your body to a resting state.

Any time vegankyle, remember, a warmup/cooldown is not to burn calories, just to bnring the temperature of your body up and to prepare you for whats at hand. Feel free to ask any questions, I will try my best to be of service. Have a great day