Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

I read somewhere that you should have a year of running under your belt before you start doing interval work to avoid injury. Any thoughts on that? I was thinking of turning one of my shorter runs during the week into a fartlek type run anyway. It would be about 4 miles. Maybe like 1 mile warmup, 2 miles fartlek, 1 mile cooldown or something like that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy it. listen to your body. if it's telling you to ease up, do it.

otherwise give 'er hell. I'd love to know how mary feels about that, though.

*disclaimer. you've seen where that gets me. It's because I tell myself to HTFU. not always the best idea.

Personally I don't agree with it. I feel the many benefits of interval training outweigh the risk of an overtraining injury. Especially for you, your not new to working out and you've had a lot of fitness gains lately. But obviously you need to make the decision you are most comfortable with and listen to what your body is telling you. But in my opinion I believe you can do intervals in all 3 sports at your fitness level.

Disclaimer: I also tell myself and others 2 HTFU and you see where it gets me 2!

haha, you guys are funny. Yeah, I think I am going to do a fartlek type thing. I need to find a new hill now to do my hill repeats on.

Anyhoo, made it to Ottawa safe and sound. In a hotel tonight and then move in to the apartment tomorrow. Didn't get in a workout today. Pretty exhausting day overall. Will hit up the hotel gym tomorrow morning. Not sure what's there, but I'm hoping a treadmill. The hotel isn't in a very run-friendly area.

And my cat is a superstar traveler! He was fine on the plane and he seems to be at home here in the hotel. I was really worried about him making the trip with me.

Plain ride? How come you're moving to Ottawa before moving to CA? I don't envy you having to move twice in a short time. The neighborhood my house is in isn't as great as I thought it was at first, but strong aversion to moving is keeping me here for now.

To echo what others said and what you seem to have concluded yourself, as long as you try to get a realistic sense of what you can and can't do, interval training isn't going to be any more likely to hurt you than the long runs you've been doing. I think my foot problems have been partly due to overuse from not being able to do anything other than run when I broke my wrist last summer, and partly due to mechanical issues (I'm rather pigeon-toed and otherwise have oddly-shaped, if well-conditioned, lower legs, and I should have gotten orthotics and coaching on my running form a long time ago rather than just the last few months). But other than being a little sore when I've done too much, I can't say I've ever gotten an injury that was caused by a workout involving sprints, hills, fast tempo runs, etc.

Thanks! It's pretty far - it's over a 3hour plain ride if that helps at all. I am taking my cat with me too which just makes it more stressful (for both of us!).

Plain ride?

How embarrassing! Sheesh!

Okay I'm moved in. I didn't get in a workout today. I've been running around like mad all day. My car is back in Sask and I have a rental until tomorrow at noon so I've been trying to get all of my errands in. The place is okay...definitely livable for 2 months but not somewhere I'd want to live long term. Oh well, eye on the prize!

Going to go check out a pool tomorrow morning. It's only a 16 min. walk from my new place so that would be super handy.

Yeah, in some ways a temporary move like this is less stressful than a normal move, but in someways it's more stressful. Sigh. Oh well, 2 months will be over before I know it. I'm kind of homesick...not for the actual city, I hate it there, but more lonely than anything. I miss my husband, my house, etc. But time to HTFU and get things done.

Saturday, July 24th:

14.48 mile run (2:47:56)

Planned on 16 miles but just couldn't do it...100% humidity! It's like a giant sauna out here! Oh well, I am sure I will get used to it soon.

Monday, July 26th:

Run to pool (9:02)

1500m swim (~50 min.)...pool was crowded and a lot of people were doing stupid things like splashing about. The only two lanes that were seriously lap swimming were the fast lanes an no way can I keep up to those folks so I toughed it out.

Run home (9:05)

Tuesday, July 27th:

AM: 4 mile run (38:56)

Humidity still killer. Felt a little faster today though.

PM: 1000m swim (~35:00)

Time is approximate. The pace clock stopped 10 minutes into my swim. Sigh.

Still getting used to the crowded pool. I don't mind the crowding, but it seems like 75% of the people there aren't actually there to lane swim...they just want to hang out in the pool. If that's what they want to do then they should go to leisure swim...not lane swim. Sigh.

Going to check out the gym at work tomorrow. Maybe I can work some lifting back in to my training. I've found it hard to balance swim/bike/run training with lifting the last few months but I wouldn't mind going and doing some weights at lunch or whatever.

Okay, Thursday was god awful. I don't want to talk about it, but there's a pretty good chance my cat is dead. That's all I'm saying about it. I'm....heartbroken, which really doesn't begin to capture what I'm feeling right now.

I don't have any friends here. During the work day at least I can stay busy but I guess I'm just going to concentrate on my tri training...

Friday, July 30th:

5.02 mile run (53:23)

Saturday, July 31st:

16 mile run (2:55:26)

Going to pick up my bike...got it shipped and took it in to get put back together.

just catching up on your blog, so what is going on with the cat? How is the new job? I love that you can run to your new pool! Look at it this way it is good tri training because there are usually people around you in the water doing stupid things there too and also people swimming way too fast!