Adena gets strong!

Adena

December 4 is indeed pretty dang soon. I'm not sure we're going to be able to pull it off quite that fast! I'm hoping to have an elegant kinda big wedding. All our family and friends. So far we're waiting for the pastor to get back into town to let us know what we need to do to get married at his church (it's my boyfriend's mom's church). There's a lot to do, but I've found a wholesale wedding dress shop online, so I'll be able to get a satin fancy schmancy dress for under $200, which is pretty awesome. I had a funny moment yesterday talking to someone in their customer service department. I said I was vegan and wanted to know if their taffetta and organza were made out of real silk. She said, it's all man-made materials, sorry. I replied that actually, I was hoping for that! I've found a caterer online who may not work out for other food, but since they specialize in vegan wedding cakes, that's where I'm going to get the cake, at least. They're located about two hours away, so they can't actually cater out here, so we'll have to go pick up the cake and other food, if we decide to get it from there. We're still waiting on the ring to be delivered, so I guess we're still "engaged to be engaged." That's where things stand for now!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you have a lot accomplished already! It took me months and months to be where you are! That's awesome that you found a place that does vegan cakes. I ended up finding someone who makes cakes in her home and just gave her the recipes out of VCTOTW, haha.

Do you have colors picked out?

Just tell me to shut up if I'm asking too many questions.

Haha, you're not asking too many questions. Where else am I going to blab about my wedding than in my own log? Ha.

For colors, I was just thinking a lot of white with large bouquets of multi-colored flowers, and I'm hoping the wedding cake can be mostly white with multi-colored fondant flowers. I don't really like the idea of having "colors" for weddings, so that's kind of how I want everything to look...mostly white decorations. This is leading me to have a nervous breakdown about the bridesmaid dresses, however. I suggested sage green, and now I think that's going to take away from the elegant mostly white wedding I was hoping for. I just thought a light green dress would go with multi-colored flowers the best, but now I'm rethinking that.

I guess we're going to go to David's Bridal to get fitted for a dress, so maybe after I pick the perfect dress it'll help me figure out the rest of it.

Squat Day

Parallel Squats:

1x5x140

1x3x160

1x3x175

Olympic Squats:

5x12x125

Lunges with 35 pound plate held overhead

I was pretty fatigued from the olympic squats with only a minute rest between each set, so the lunges were feeling pretty wobbly. I called it a day. I was definitely fatigued and drenched with sweat.

On to something new this month. I think this week I'll focus on cardio, but I'll also spend a little time at the gym deloading. I feel like I can continuously work grip the same way I have been, but I'll lighten the load on the main lifts and do more endurance work. I also hope to try out some fancy schmancy olympic lifts this month. Don't worry everyone, I know how to start out light when trying new things. I'll try to find a few more instructional articles and videos on power cleans and snatches, and see if maybe there's some things I should try out before I begin those lifts. They look pretty complicated, but they also look pretty fun.

So this month I'm trying to cut. I haven't done it in a while, and I want to see if I can not have a pudgy powerlifter's belly for my wedding. That might be nice. Also, I want to get out in the sunshine more often. After this week of deloading and getting lots of cardio, I might do some strongman or highland games types of training once in a while so I can be outside, if the opportunity arises.

After the weekend, in which I attempted to eat mostly healthy and not have quite as much of a Faturday and Funday, my bodyweight is 132. I was 136 for the last two weeks straight, and I'm not much of a fluctuator.

On Saturday, I did interval training. I ran 30 second sprints with 30 seconds of jogging in between for ten minutes. This was all done up and down hills through a forest behind my parent's house.

On Sunday, I did a 30 minute distance run up and down those same hills.

On Monday, I had a deload standing overhead press day.

SOHP:

2x12x45

1x8x45

Then I did minute intervals on a stationary bike at the gym for 20 minutes.

I've been attempting to have the same amount of protein I usually eat, so hopefully my strength will not diminish too much during this cutting phase. I know it probably will a little bit. I felt pretty weak doing those overhead presses, but I guess my numbers were about the same. We'll see how it goes!

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

2x10x135

1x12x135

stationary bike for 20 minutes of steady state cardio

My ankle has been a little sore this week from all the running several days in a row, so I'm throwing some stationary bike cardio in there just so I can keep doing cardio.

Bench Day

Bench:

1x20x65 Holy cow!

1x16x65

1x10x65

My ankle was feeling better. This happens to me a lot when I do cardio frequently, but it seems to go away completely when I either take a break, or just switch to biking for a while. So I did interval training for ten minutes. 30 second sprints with 30 second intervals of jogging

oh a wedding!! Sage sounds pretty

Oh, that's funny, a few things have changed...my bridesmaid dropped out, so now we're just having a maid of honor and a best man. So my sister's dress is kind of a slightly gold toned light brown, instead of my original sage green idea. Looks vintage-y. Maybe a classy '40s themed wedding is in order? I think so!

Overhead Press Day

SOHP:

1x5x45

1x5x55

1x5x60

4x3x65

1x2x65

1x10x45

Press Starts:

1x3x75

2x3x70

Push Press:

1x3x65

1x2x65

1x3x65

Dips:

2x10xBW

1x8xBW

(Thanks for the ideas, xCx.) I got this workout from a Bill Starr article on increasing your overhead press on the starting strength website. I think I need to get my overhead presses to a respectable weight so I can do a clean and jerk someday! I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do on Friday. It would normally be my deadlift day, and I think I'll deadlift heavy and practice form with light weights for power cleans, maybe? I'm not sure yet.

Thursday

HIIT for 10 minutes: 30 second sprint intervals with 30 second jog intervals

Friday

Power Cleans:

3x10x45

On the third set, I got a little help from my powerlifting friend. Something wasn't feeling right. He advised me on proper form, and I felt a lot better about the next three sets.

3x12x45

Deadlift:

3x10x135

Farmer's Walks:

3 sets with 45 pound plates in each hand

Plate Pinches:

3 sets with two 5 lb plates for each hand, one hand at a time

Cardio Day

Ten minutes of HIIT, 30 second sprint intervals, 30 second jog intervals

Overhead Press Day

SOHP:

1x5x45

1x5x55

1x5x60

5x3x65

1x2x65

Press Starts:

3x3x75

Push Press:

1x2x70

2x3x65

Dips:

2x10xBW

1x8xBW

My bodyweight is down to 129 now.

Friday

Deadlift/Power Clean Day

Power Cleans:

2x10x45

1x8x65

1x10x65

1x8x65

Deadlift:

3x12x135

Farmer's Walks:

3x45 lb plates in each hand

Plate Pinches:

3xtwo 5lb plates pinched between the thumb and fingers for time

My bodyweight was still down to 129 on Friday, so that's good.

Saturday - Cardio Day

I went on a long, leisurely bike ride with my boyfriend. All the bike trails around here have been flooded all summer so far, so this was the first time we got to ride around. It may not have been the most intense cardio, but it was quite pleasant.

Sunday and Monday I didn't do anything. On Sunday I was just plain tired. We took our wild leash-yanking dogs on a walk up and down hills, but that still doesn't count for much. Except to them.

We've been asked to do a lot of overtime at work this week, plus I had a chiropractic adjustment on Monday and a dental appointment on Tuesday, so I had to make up time for both of those. I think I'm just going to skip squats this week because it's already Wednesday.

Tuesday - Cardio Day

HIIT for ten minutes, 30 second intervals, 30 second jog intervals

The more humid it is outside, the harder my cardio days seem!

Thursday - Cardio Day

Ten minutes of HIIT: 30 second sprints with 30 second jog intervals

On Friday I was intending to lift, but I had forgotten there was a hardcore show and I wanted to go. Sooo...I got nothing done. At least I had fun, relaxed, and went to a vegan barbecue at my friend's house afterward. Good times.

Saturday - Power Clean and Deadlift Day

Power Cleans:

1x10x65

1x8x65

1x9x65

1x5x65

1x8x65

I have trouble flicking my wrists fast enough, so I'm still working on my form. I also know my elbows are not going up high enough. I wanted a lot of volume to work on form.

Deadlift:

2x16x135

1x12x135

Farmer's Walks with 45 lb plates

Plate pinches with two 5 lb plates

Sunday - Cardio Day

30 minute run at a pretty steady pace, up and down some hills

On Friday I was intending to lift, but I had forgotten there was a hardcore show and I wanted to go. Sooo...I got nothing done. At least I had fun, relaxed, and went to a vegan barbecue at my friend's house afterward. Good times.

I love it! You got to do what you got to do. Body and soul, right?

You're so consistent in your training, anyways...

I love it! You got to do what you got to do. Body and soul, right?

You're so consistent in your training, anyways...

Thanks! It's hard to find time for everything.

Thanks guys, that really is encouraging. It's been pretty tough lately because they've been asking us to do a lot of overtime at work, and I'm trying to help my mom pick out invitations and argue with her over catering and the cake...so I'm pretty busy and stressed. But a humid cardio session usually takes away any stressful thoughts, at least for about ten minutes.