Calorie burning with foot injury?

OK, I swear I posted this earlier this morning, but I don't see the post anywhere...so delete if it's a dupe.

Anyways, I injured my foot surfing and so my P90x Plyo and CardioX are out the window for a while. I can use the elliptical and bikes at the Y (no pool though), but I prefer to work out at home.

Just wonder is there's a good routine I can do that will burn calories that won't put strain on my (right) foot? I've been making great progress and want to keep it up!

Thanks!

There are some very intense cardio arm routines I have seen. Put five pounds in each arm and move them up down, side to side, back and fourth, in and out, and you could easily build up a decent sweat. Through in some cardio abs as well:)

Of course swimming is excellent, but you probably already know that if you surf:)

First off, I want to say that I love your avatar, Seitan. Zap Brannigan is awesome!

Secondly, I agree with everyone here. While it's really cruddy that you injured yourself, some movement is better than no movement. I may be new to bodybuilding, but I'm an avid runner and when I sprained my ankle, my sister (also a trained avid runner) suggested that I lift light weights (with high repetition) to keep up blood flow and heck, do something different. I also like to pass a weight ball around my torso to keep up balance and movement.

If those don't work out for you, take Saulo's advice. lol.

I think at some point all of us runners have faced this basic issue, whether it's a foot, knee, calf, ankle or whatever injury. I have a foot problem (tarsal tunnel syndrome) that at this point appears to be chronic, so I can empathize with your situation, although this particular injury has only limited my mileage rather than stopped me from running entirely. Anyway, other than the broken wrist I had last summer, none of my various injuries have prevented me from biking. Can you do that? It's not quite as intense as running since you're sitting down, but it's still not a bad workout--and wicks some of the sweat away on a hot day.

• 1 month later...

Have you tried side leg raises? If your foot can stand the strain of taking your weight whilst the other one is shooting through the air, you will find knocking out 50 or 60 with each leg on the fast side will get you huffing and puffing. And will get your abductors stinging a bit. You can do them keeping your torso fairly upright or you can sway the opposite way as your leg goes up.

Doing fairly heavy bent over dumbell rowing with 30 or 40 seconds rest between sets always gets my heart pounding and lungs gasping.

If you can put pressure on your toes, you could do squat thrusts - the kind where you are in a press up position and then you bring both knees up near your chest and then kick back again. Sets of 40 very fast will do the trick. The further forwards you lean over your hands, the less pressure there is on the feet.

Whilst standing, lifting your knees up to near your chest, one leg after the other, is also a good one. Depending on where your foot hurts, you can put most pressure on your toes or heel of the supporting leg.

Do you have access to an upperbody bike? Our gym luckily has one and I relied on that a lot when I broke my foot....both times. I also used the rower with the affected foot off to the side. Other tims I my trainer had me do some seated shadow boxing. Hope this might help. Good luck with the healing.