Working out makes me hungrier all day

Since working out (to lose weight and for general fitness, but mainly to lose 10 kilos) I find myself needing to eat alot all day. At the beginning I was trying to stay under 1500 calories but it was really killing me and I'd end up binge eating after dinner because my body would be screaming. Now I've been having about 5 portions a day, coming up to maybe around 1800 calories and I feel better. I do mainly circuit training workout videos (some are half an hour long, some are an hour) every day.

Can I still lose weight like this? I feel like I couldn't eat any less

I'm female, 23, 5 ft 7.

post up what you are eating so we can take a look, u may not be eating enough, or have some macro's that aren't properly portioned.

and honestly when you are cutting calories you are going to be a lil hungry at first.....eventually you will get use to it though and find ways to curb ur hunger until ur next meal.

Breakfast:

1 banana

a cup of mango

3/4 cup mixed berries

2.5 tablespoons soy yoghurt

tablespoon chia seeds

tablespoon flax seeds

handful of goji berries

(all mixed together)

Workout

Snack

maybe some cashews

Snack

either a wholemeal pasta dish or brown rice dish with vegetables (for carb cravings)

Snack

2 vegan "chicken" steamed buns

Dinner

2 tacos (tofu, mushroom, salsa, lettuce, sometimes beans)

Baked potato w vegan cream cheese

Thanks finah

I don't see 1800 calories being a problem at all, if you find yourself binging, proactively eat more, better foods earlier in the day so you're not crashing and eating everything in sight. I skip breakfast and lunch all together... but that's me.

I'm reading your food log as: sugar, sugar, sugar, maybe fat, starch, protein, starch. If you want to eat throughout the day, try to get a good dose of protein in throughout. If you want that carb/pasta dish, put it in right after your workout but be sure to include protein as well.

Try basing your meals around lentils, beans, or any of the commercial vegan protein subs.

Yeah, 1800 calories shouldn't be a problem unless you have a very slow metabolism. The baked potato and pasta dishes aren't doing you any favors. Replace those with small portions of something fatty and/or high in protein. Since you regularly do a morning smoothie, you might as well throw some protein powder in there too.

+1 on all the above info

so I would do something like this

meal 1- You can keep ur current breakfast but cut out either the mango/berries or banana, we need to lower ur carb intake a bit. Mix in some type of soy, almond or coconut milk too, add a scoop of protein powder if u can.

meal 2- banana or apple w/ a vegan protein bar- thats pretty good post work out.

meal 3- keep ur pasta, or brown rice w/ vegi's, but don't go crazy here and eat a ton of pasta or brown rice keep it around 1 cups of pasta or brown rice plus ur choice of vegi's. You could replace this with ur Taco meal as well.

meal 4- some type of protein shake or other protein source- try to find something w/ minimal carbs <15g, the lower the better.

meal 5- baked potato but I'd try to cut the cream chease try sprinkling some nutritional yeast on there or some other spices.

meal 6- have some almonds, not a whole lot, around 12. if ur still hungry add another shake.

Oh actually I don't have any shakes. I eat all that breakfast stuff in a bowl. I went through a protein/fruit shake phase but they make me feel a bit sick or they just taste bad and I've tried two different ones. Also, protein bars are too expensive for me- they are around $3.80 a bar and I just can't afford that on top of all my other food. I tried to leave out the potato, but they just fill the stomach so well and I need that to stop from bingeing.

I hate almonds.

And on the other hand with smoothies, I'm going to be at uni alot so obviously I can't make smoothies at uni. I need things I can take with me.

Thank you for your suggestions guys

Definitely eat a protein-rich meal or supplement after your workout. Then, you'll be less hungry in the evening. After my workout, I always have a protein shake, and/or a big bowl of oatmeal. I see you're only eating a handful of nuts. That's really not much to help your body recover.. and since your body is trying to repair itself after the workout, it's going to want fuel = hence your evening hunger frenzies.

• 7 months later...