Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't talk about my cat. Seriously....it's just a god awful situation.

He was my best friend. i know that sounds cheesy and lame, but it's true.

It's certainly not cheesy or lame. My dogs are absolutely my best friends. I'm really sorry to hear about your cat.

Thanks. It's hard explaining it to non-animal lovers. They just don't get it.

Sunday, August 1st:

Went and rode the Gatineau Hills. They are in this giant park across the river. Sunday mornings they close down the park rodes to automobiles to allow for cyclists. Glad I went super early, because by the time I was leaving it was PACKED. I don't think I've seen that many cyclists all at once before.

Coming from a relatively flat place, this ride was tough. My legs were still tired from my long run the day before.

There were about 3-4 really tough hills...one was a huge beast that I didn't think I would make it up. I as going less than 4 mph at one point! Of courses this one dude just whizzes past me like it's nothing. Sigh.

Oh well, was rewarded with a beautiful view when I finally made it to the top. Ride back was much, much quicker.

Haha, not so sure about that but we'll see! I definitely enjoyed the ride in the park though...saw lots of bunnies and a giant buck!

Monday, August 2nd::

Worst swim ever. Gave up after 650m. The pool was SO CROWDED...I'm talking like 10 people per each lane. It really sucked. I had planned on doing 2000m....sigh....

Tuesday, August 3rd:

4.2 mile run (43:35)

Just kept it at a comfortable pace.

Okay so this cat thing is so ridiculous right now. He went missing, I found a weird small hole in the wall he could have gotten into, but he's a big guy and normally doesn't snoop around like that. But it was the only place he could have gone. Which would mean he got up into the walls. When he didn't come back for a couple of days I was sure he was stuck, but I didn't know where he was in the house...

The only other explanation was that someone, in the middle of the night, came in, let the cat out, and left. But that's absurd. Turns out...he IS outside...he's been hanging out in my neighbour's yard. He won't come to me because he's so freaked out, but I have a live trap set up right now with his favourite food. I don't like the idea of trapping him, but I have no other way of getting him.

Not to mention I am seriously freaked out about the whole idea of how he got outside...nothing was touched/moved, and they obviously had a key because the lock/door isn't damaged.

It's been a crazy few days.

You know, that IS possible, but I just really can't see him going in that hole. He would of had to really squeeze through to get in there, then scale up metal furnace ducts. He's lazy and just doesn't do things like that.

Anyway, the hole is blocked off now, just in case, and I'm going to go and get a chain to put on my door, just in case.

It's just a bizarre situation.

But anyway - I set up a trap a few days ago and I wasn't getting anything. Nobody had seen him in a few days, and I was starting to give up hope. Then last night I put the trap in a different place. This morning I was heading out for my run and of course checked the trap first and there he was!! I burst out crying I was so happy...it had been over a week at that point. Brought him home...he chowed down on a lot of food (he's lost quite a bit of weight...although I'm not too worried since he was overweight beforehand), got lots and lots of cuddles from me, and is now sleeping comfortably. I just can't stop crying and smiling I am SO happy.

Anyway, to catch up on training:

Thursday, August 5th:

9 mile run (1:33:44)

Wanted to go swimming that night but ended up having to work quite late.

Friday, August 6th:

Called off my AM run since I found my kitty! Spent a couple of hours with him before work. He's more important than my run training. Will try and get to the company gym at lunch.

Then last night I put the trap in a different place. This morning I was heading out for my run and of course checked the trap first and there he was!! I burst out crying I was so happy...it had been over a week at that point. Brought him home...he chowed down on a lot of food (he's lost quite a bit of weight...although I'm not too worried since he was overweight beforehand), got lots and lots of cuddles from me, and is now sleeping comfortably. I just can't stop crying and smiling I am SO happy.

Great news!

I think he has a little PTSD. He has been sleeping lots...sometimes he wakes up though and starts meowing frantically and the only way to console him is to pick him up and hold him. As soon as I put him down he starts screaming again. Poor guy... Health wise he seems to be fine though...keeping an eye on everything.

I am SO happy he is okay...I honestly thought I would never see him again. Every time I look at him I can't help but feel so warm and fuzzy.

I went and bought a chain to put on my door. If the landlord gets angry that's just too bad, the damn door should have already had one on anyway.

Friday, August 6th:

Didn't have a lot of time to workout at lunch so I did HIIT on the stationary bike at the gym at work to get the most bang for my buck.

5 min. warm up

15sec on/45 sec off x 15

5 min. cool down

I haven't done HIIT in almost a year so I only did 15 sec intervals..next time will bump it up to 20, 15 wasn't really doing it for me.

10 min. stretching

Saturday, August 7th:

18 mile run (3:16:19)

oh my gosh the last 2 miles were difficult...it must have looked pretty pathetic! My legs are still aching.

Sunday, August 8th:

Went and rode those giant hills again this morning. Felt like I rocked it (well, compared to last week anyway). I was a lot more confident.

My legs were totally smoked from yesterday's run but I still got it done.

This is so embarrassing: on that way back when I was coming to a stop in the parking lot I was so exhausted I forgot to clip out! I wiped out right in front of these two dudes in their Ironman gear. Sheesh I'm such a putz.

they've done it before too. promise.

story: When I was a bicycle messenger in philly, my style was to get rolling, then strap my feet in SUPER tight so I couldnt pull out, and then reach down and loosen them while i slowed down. Anyhow, a few days a week in the summer they have a big water spraying truck that just rolls around and sprays the philly stink off the street. SO, in the mornings when I start my shifts the roads were generally wet. Anyhow I was rolling, then got a red light (I wasn't on the job, so I didn't need to run it) I started trackstanding. no problem. But, I got distracted and ended up falling down and rolling around in the wet road for a couple seconds before I was able to get out of my pedal.

embarrassing, but shit happens. and i got a funny story out of it.

well all fallen so I am sure they didn't think anything of it!

Congrats on getting the cat back.I amso happy for you and I agree that kind of thing would have freaked me out. I am glad you got the chain for your door now! 18 mile run and so hill climbs! GOOD FOR YOU! although sorry to hear about the pool situation.

YEAH! The cat is alive! I actually teared up when you said that you found him outside. I don't know what I'd do if my doggy babies went missing. I started bawling the other day because the elderbun (elderly bunny) jumped out of my arms and bonked herself on the side of her cage, then limped around for a little bit. My boyfriend checked her out and she didn't seem to have broken any bones, and a few hours later was putting weight on that paw like nothing happened, but I still feel pretty bad about it. You're not the only one with animal friends! I'm so glad your cat's ok.

This is so embarrassing: on that way back when I was coming to a stop in the parking lot I was so exhausted I forgot to clip out! I wiped out right in front of these two dudes in their Ironman gear. Sheesh I'm such a putz.

Did I tell you about the time a couple weeks ago when I was trying to track stand again? Lucky thing it was early sunday morning and the only ones who saw me go down in flames were the millions of people out on training rides.

18 miles! niiiiiiiiiiiice! did you get bored?

Actually I always said I wouldn't be in to running long distances because it would be so boring, but now that I actually do long runs I don't find them boring at all! The first couple of hours are pretty meditative, I think of all sorts of things. What's going on in my life, what I should do about certain problems, etc. The last little bit it gets pretty tough for me so then I just concentrate on finishing and putting one foot in front of the other. It's a little disheartening to think that people run entire marathons in way less than what it took me to run 18 miles, but whatever.

Yay for animal friends! I figured people on a vegan board would understand.

haha, Viva if I ever tried to track stand I would for sure fall.

I was thinking of incorporating little walk breaks earlier in the run so that the last little bit isn't so harsh. Will try it out on my next long run.

Realized I haven't updated this thing in awhile so here we go:

(I'm tapering this week for my race on Sunday - oly tri! first one! eep!)

Monday, August 9th:

Went swimming in AM. Pool still crowded but not quite as ridiculous. Only had to share a lane with 4-6 instead of 10-12.

First 500m felt awful...sloppy form and super slow.

Tuesday, August 10th:

Woke up in AM and my legs were still feeling tired and sore from the weekend...took an impromptu rest day

Wednesday, August 11th:

Alarm didn't go off in the morning! Went to gym at work on my lunch break instead.

30 min. stationary bike followed by 10 min. brick on treadmill

Thursday, August 12th:

3.5 mile run, kept the effort quite easy (36:26)

There are running programs that have you do walk breaks. Even if you just walk to take in your hydration it could be good for you. I'm racing on sunday too! I am so excited for you to do your first oly! I can't wait to read your race report and see how well you do. Just keep moving forward and you will get there! So what kind of swim start is it? any ideas about the course?

I think Jeff Galloway recommends a 3:1 run:walk ratio but I don't know if I am going to do it that way. In my half marathon I stopped and walked at all of the aid stations and that seemed to work well.

I have NO idea about the start..and neither do the race people. They said they would make that decision race morning. My swimming has really suffered with the move and I am nowhere near where I want to be, but I figure hey, show up, race to finish, and who cares if I am the last person out of the water. I'm just there to get it done, if I am dead last I don't really care. Not sure how big this race is.

The bike course is apparently "rolling hills"....this place is an hour away from me and I don't know the area at all so I'm not sure what they mean by "rolling" - will find out on Sunday!

What race are you doing this Sunday, is it another tri?