Julia's activity log

I quit school yesterday, so I'm trying to be really sporty in the next few weeks/months. I hope sharing what I do on here keeps me more motivated than I usually am

Fr Jun 25: moving -> 1 hour of carrying boxes + a lot of stairs

Sat Jun 26: cycling [32.2 km; AVS: 19.5 kph; 1:40h; ~500 cals]

Sun Jun 27: pretty relaxed day.. some pull ups, some sit ups, a bit of swimming in my grandparent's pool, bit of rope skipping

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mon Jun 28: 2 hours of Capoeira

Tue Jun 29: mowing lawn, 1 hour; some walking; some sit-ups

Wed Jun 30: 9AM: rowing machine [30 mins; 4.2km; 225 cals], decided to go for a 30 min run now (8PM) because I've eaten more than usually today [nothing too unhealthy though]

Thu Jul 1: 6-7PM: cycling (to find out how many kms I run usually.. 4.1k) and tried to do this work-out:

Fri Jul 2: some biceps curls because I've been to my sister's place and her bf has some barbells, 26 min run (4.2 km; 1 km of that is uphill)

Sat Jul 3: spent 3 hours distributing fliers and posters to shops all around town (3 hours of running around and cycling)

Sun Jul 4: 30 min run pre-breakfast, tried to do some pull-ups and chin-ups, 30 min walk in the evening, some ab exercises, felt really hungry today and have eaten close to 1800 cals :o Usually I'm eating about 1200, but I just decided to follow my feelings and ate lots of fruits today and also some nuts. Felt like I needed some extra energy today.

Mon Jul 5: nothing but a slow 30 min walk, was a bit depressed this afternoon so no work out. will try to be more active tomorrow

Tue Jul 6: 15 min trampoline; tried to work on my abs

Wed Jul 7: 30 min walk, been really tired because I didn't sleep much tonight but tomorrow this laziness needs to stop

Thu Jul 8: cycling [1:03, 18 km, AVS 17 kph, 310 cals; more than 5 km uphill without a break - from 220m above sea-level to 450m] felt really great today! Last time I did this I had to get off the bike several times uphill. Not today, and also been much faster today.. So maybe the 3 day break I had wasn't that bad after all.. Had a really yummy lentil salad for dinner

Fri Jul 9: arms - bodyweight (dips, push ups, trying to do chin ups and pull ups)

Sat Jul 10: 20 min rope skipping; legs+butt (squats etc)

Sun Jul 11: jogging [approx. 35 mins]

Edited by julia

Yes I do, thanks! It was a combination of hormonal changes (explains the extreme hunger I had on Sunday) and some old problems creeping in again, but now I'm alright again Thanks for asking!

Mon Jul 12: 10 min rope skipping; abs; planning to jog 8k tomorrow morning

Tue Jul 13: the weather is absolutely crazy. It's so hot I can hardly go outside. Even during night Am thinking about using the stationary bike later today, but right now I just really don't feel like it because of the heat. Used my arms a lot though, because I've been scrubbing garden furniture like crazy. 10:30PM: went for a 4.2k run at 9PM.. it was still awfully hot, but my time was OK despite that (29:12) my legs feel so weak now :/ hope that tonight it will be cooler and I can sleep through or at least have a more restorative sleep tonight

Wed Jul 14: 30 min on stationary bike, chin-ups and attempt at pull-ups.. definitely see a change here! also did some push-ups like nearly every day; some dips

tomorrow will be cheat-day Have a feeling that I'm stuck a bit at the moment.. want to keep my body from switching to hibernation mode

Thu Jul 15: swimming in my grandparent's 7m long pool.. 75 - 100 - 75 -> 250x7=1750 .. 1.75k; hasn't really been much of a cheating day.. just wasn't that hungry.

Fri Jul 16: the heat is slowly killing me.. Each time I get up everything goes black for a second and I feel as if I were 5 times my age when I have to walk stairs. Can't do any sports today.. But am positive about tomorrow! I just ate an awful lot about half an hour ago because I was so hungry, but now my belly's killing me because I ate so much haha Clever, huh?

Sat Jul 17: had a light breakfast and a light lunch, so I just had a 700 cal dinner It felt good to eat so much without having too many cals because I had so few before dinner.. But now I'm absolutely full.. Should be OK to work out in one or two hours to.. plan to work on upper body/arms with a 15 min rowing warm up

10PM: what's happening? had no strength whatsoever today.. fell to the floor after 20 push ups although I don't have a problem with 20 usually.. I truly hope to sleep well tonight.. I couldn't sleep for more than 4 or 5 hours at once for several days now, because I'm not used to the heat and it wakes me up all the time.. So I feel really weak..

Sun Jul 18: tiny warm up, abs

Mon Jul 19: 10 min rope skipping; 25 min workout including push ups, crunches, dips, lunges, squats.. no particular group of muscles.. really liked it!

Tue Jul 20: cycling [18.7 km, 1:07 h, AVS 16.8 kph, bike says 329 cals but it doesn't count uphill because the cals are only based on distance and speed instead of heart race]

Wed Jul 21: swimming in lake, 30 mins; bit of rowing but nothing serious.. actually thinking about joining the university's rowing class.. will doe some crunches later.. somehow I can't get enough of training abs lately..

Thu Jul 22: swimming in my grandparent's 7m - pool [200 (40min) - 100 - 25 -> 2.275 km]

Fri Jul 23: Resting; 30 min walk + using my bike around town

Sat Jul 24: 30 min walk; workout: 10 mins rope skipping (concentrated on getting better at criss-crossing today.. think I need to get a longer rope!); 37 minutes bodyweight exercises (1:30min plank, crunches, push ups, dips, lunges, calf raises, toe touches, leg raises, roll ups w/ jump, lying hip extension, think that's about it)

Realized I've done hardly any stretching lately so I'll warm up a bit now and stretch! Need to include stretching in the future! Don't know why I've stopped doing it..

Sun Jul 25: this morning: 30 min run + stretching, decided to stop counting calories.. Done it for a few weeks now and I really got enough of it now... I got an image of what I can or should eat now, and will try to stick to it without counting calories.. 30 min walking in the evening

Edited by julia

you seem to do more bodyweight and non-traditional gym exercises. if you ever want your butt kicked, do this:

8 bodyweight squats.

8 lunges each direction (forward, backward, side, side)

8 star jumps.

sprint 20 meters.

recover.

x 3-5. if that's too easy, do it at the base of a hill, then sprint up it.

makes me want to cry it's so good/painful.

also, I'm with paz. 10 minutes is awesome!

Thanks everybody

@ pazios2002 and Lean and Green: As for 10 min rope skipping.. I do get tangled up in my rope again and again, but I just try to keep jumping all the time, while trying to get hold of the rope again. Also I'm alternating the jumps a lot.. When I feel my heart rate is becoming too fast I just change to a less intense jump for some time..

Capoeira.. well I loved it in the beginning but lately I don't enjoy it that much any longer... I'm thinking about starting something new this fall.. I'll have tons of opportunities because of university anyway

@Jason X: thanks for the input! I feel like my legs are the weakest parts of my body, so I'm sure it won't be too easy I'll try that next time I'm heading for a run.

Mon Jul 26 & Tue Jul 27: -

feel kind of bad for having a 2 day break, but I just didn't have time because I've been away from home from 7AM to 9PM because of hunting for flats, and felt too tired afterwards, and have only slept a few hours so I didn't want to get up even earlier. Anyways... I really want to get going again tomorrow!

Wed Jul 28: 5 min rope skipping (tried double unders - killing!) then (30 minutes):

something I don't know the name of (push up position, one knee at a time towards chest): 20-20-20-20-20

crunches 10-10-10-10-10

sumo squats 10-10-10-5-5

oblique crunches 20-20-20-20-20

burpees without push-up 10-5-5-10-5

dips 10-10-10-10-10

calf raises 1-legged: 10-10-10, both legs: 20-20

star crunches: 10-10-10-10-10

push ups: 15-10-10-10-15

my push ups are awful, I need to work on them! I don't know if you can call what I'm currently doing a push up..

30 minutes walk in the evening

Thu Jul 29: 20 min jump roping (low intensity jumps), some crunches, dips, push ups

Fri Jul 30: 30 min stationary bike (14k, 220 kcal) after that: 27 min run (about 5k)

then I left for a Vegan Fest in Germany

Sat Jul 31: Helping out at a vegan info booth all day, in the evening: walking around Munich and being active a bit (some dips at a park bench, climbing up a lantern ..)

Sun Aug 1: 3 hour walk in Munich's English garden, some sight-seeing..

Mon Aug 2: back from Germany, ate a lot today but don't feel bad because of it because I didn't eat much the last 2 days.. as for exercising: 15 min jump rope, 100 star crunches, 30 for obliques per side, 30 push ups, 3 times attempting to do pull ups and chin ups

Tue Aug 3: horrible stomach ache this afternoon after eating an apple (?), went for a 30 min walk anyways.. felt much better after that, had dinner and got on the stationary bike this evening: 90 mins 30 km 410 kcals

Wed Aug 4: 30 min walk, 7 min running stairs, attempting pull-ups/chin-ups several times.. (I feel like I've made some progress on these.. But the fact that the bar I use isn't static but swings doesn't really seem to help..)

Thu Aug 5: 2x 30 min walk, 45 min cycling, partially up-hill 12 km 200 kcals (wanted to run km 4 to 8, but it was too hot) But the canceled run could not ruin my motivation because: I could do 2 x 1 pull up without jumping off the ground today!!! (so I could pull myself up from a hanging position.. which was impossible until today )

Fri Aug 6: 10 min jumping rope, 15 push ups, rowing [30 mins 4.4km 220kcals], 15 pushups, did a few pull ups throughout the day (I love that I'm finally able to do them properly)

Sat Aug 7: feel weak today, so just 1 hour walking around the city, 30 min walk in the nature, I did some push ups in the morning I'll do some more now, but that's it for today.

Sun Aug 8: 23 mins on trampolin, pull-ups and chin-ups throughout the day

Felt like taking a video (or 2) today http://yfrog.com/6efile6648z

http://yfrog.com/m9file17100z

Yes, the bar I use is very professional ;] But it does it's job, so why not?

Mon Aug 9: 30 min run (with 5x 1 min- sprint.. never sprinted before, but it felt really good and I'll definitely try to include it more and more) + 10 min walk afterwards

Tue Aug 10: run: 4.1km (a bit up-hill and same amount down-hill) in 22 minutes was sweating like crazy afterwards.. I wanted to walk home instead of running after sprinting up-hill but I just jogged a little slower than usually and kept going Had a glass of homemade almond milk afterwards Really feel my legs now (quads I think).. Want to get more serious about the pull-ups tomorrow.. did just 6 pull ups and 3 chin ups today.. want to start training in sets tomorrow instead of just doing pull ups throughout the day when I feel like it.. AND day 9 of not eating sweets and sticking to 1200 kcals again. start seeing progress again after being a bit unmotivated in the beginning of last week. YES!

Wed Aug 11: I definitely feel my legs today! But I think 1 day rest should be alright.. So maybe I'm heading for a run again tomorrow (am really into it now, since trying sprinting intervals 2 days ago).. Today: 8x2 pull ups, 2x10 push ups (I'm so bad at these.. it's ridiculous), will go for some more push ups now, aiming at another 20

Thu Aug 12: rowing machine, 30 minutes 4.1km 200 kcals

Fri Aug 13: 30 min run without interval sprints because my sister's been joining me

Sat Aug 14: 4th run this week 4.1km 25 minutes (it's been so hot..), 8 pull ups and 4 chin ups after that

Sun Aug 15: rest

• 2 weeks later...

Mon Aug 16: 5 mins rowing machine, 15 mins stationary bike; looking for a flat in Vienna is so frustrating!

Tue Aug 17: decided to stop this log for some time.. I want to do longer bike rides again etc. And with this log it somehow makes me feel as if I had to do something EVERY day. So I'm off for a few days or weeks..

I miss this forum So I decided to write in my online journal once a week or so. That way I won't feel the pressure that I need to do something every day, but am on this forum nonetheless.

Ok, so this week I went on 3 runs. 2 slow ones with my sister, and 1 that was mostly sprints. I've also done pull-ups + push ups on 2 days and crunches on 1 day.

It's my birthday today. I'll post some pics of the food later

Anyway, why I mention this is because of my super-duper presents: 2 dumbbells, both can be up to 10kg, but I can also put 20kg on one. a proper pull up bar (I'm so happy about that one!!)

Oh and a really cool blender that seems to work fine.

Well I'm off to cake eating now

Thanks! I've always loved pull-ups and chin-ups, even as a kid. So I'll try hard to work on them, especially now that I got one of those door bars. (No more swinging wooden bar Which means no more horny skin on the inside of my hand )

As for my birthday:

I made homemade Ravioli with a oyster-mushroom filling, parsley sauce and swiss chard

http://a.imageshack.us/img828/6741/4916648067032b4de870387.jpg

and cakes were a sheet cake with plums (this recipe:http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/2009/06/05/take-it-outside/)

http://a.imageshack.us/img178/1434/zwetschkenfleck.jpg

and blueberry-orange-bundt cake with chocolate ganache from "The Joy of Vegan Baking"

http://a.imageshack.us/img841/4374/4916692071b16220a2c2433.jpg

Edited by julia

Last week (Aug 23rd to Aug 29th):

30 min runs x 2

arm workout (with dumbbells) 30 mins x 1

3 hour walk x 1

push-ups (3xmax) + pull-ups on 3 days

Been lazy last week, because I felt a bit sluggish. I've upped my iron-intake now, and think that this should help (The last time I was feeling similar to now (a lot worse though), I had anemia.)

One positive thing, though: I didn't overeat at all last week