A month on Armstrong pull ups program

thanks, Fallen Horse:)

maybe it's just the lighting or a different pose. I do feel stronger, but I don't see any important difference when I look at myself in the mirror. I think this program is about patience and perseverance. I think real results, both in strength and visual, will show in few weeks.

Diet: maybe I eat less cooked legumes lately and drink more soy kefir (found that in organic shop here and it's delicious!) I drink 500 ml of kefir at once, and it's about 22 g of protein, and just 250 calories. So I guess it's more protein, less calories in past few days

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm feeling great today. Sun is shining and I am full of energy! I increased my "training set" from 3 to 4 repetitions and did just fine.

Third day, Week 3:

MORNING ROUTINE PUSH UPS: 30, 35, 30

PULL -UPS: 4 repetitions x 9 sets

Today was great too! I feel stronger then ever I had to make another shot of me. Maybe I'm posting too much photos , but when I see myself with some new muscles showing better (lats)- it is the biggest motivation

Fourth day, Week 3:

MORNING ROUTINE PUSH UPS: 35, 35, 35

PULL -UPS: 4 repetitions x 12 sets

http://a.imageshack.us/img80/1313/dsc00004lb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Maybe it's the lighting, but I am seeing a major difference between the first front shot you posed and the newest one. Seems like maybe the pushups/pullups are adding muscle while the hill sprints are killing fat. It's tough to do but it looks like that might be the case here....

Maybe it's the lighting, but I am seeing a major difference between the first front shot you posed and the newest one. Seems like maybe the pushups/pullups are adding muscle while the hill sprints are killing fat. It's tough to do but it looks like that might be the case here....

I lost 2 kg during my stay in Barcelona. I eat tons of food, but I walk and walk and walk... al day long. Add to that swimming, and fat has no chance. Honestly, I'm cheating a little with hill sprints: I do them every third or fourth day, since leg muscles are always killing me after that. What the most important thing is that I REGULARLY do pull ups and push ups, maybe first time in my life. I never miss a workout, I'm kind of obsessive about this:)))) And that's a lot of pull ups if you count: just today i dod 12 sets of 4 repetitions - that's 48 pull ups - I"VE NEVER DONE THAT.

And thanks for following, Fallen Horse! You're my biggest supporter

Hey vege, Do you do all of those sets in one session? 12 sets is a lot of sets. Is there a reason why you do many sets of small numbers of repetitions? Are you still doing the Armstrong program, these sets seem like you've moved away from it?

Looking good bro!

Hi, VeganResistance, thanks for the comment!

I think I follow the Armstrong program exactly. If I am wrong, someone please correct me!

This is what I found that program says:

Day 4

Do the maximum number of training sets that you can accomplish. Rest 60 seconds

between each set. You do training sets until you fail to do a perfect training set. This day

can wind up being the longest training day as you continue with the program because you

will find it easy to do lots of training sets. If you can do more than nine training sets,

increase by one repetition next week.

My training set was 3 pull ups (3 repetitions, right?) first two weeks, and this week I increased it to 4 repetitions. Yesterday, I was able to do 12 sets and during the 13th set I failed to do all 4 repetitions correctly, so I stopped. I assume this is correct, according to program?

This is what the training set is:

Training Sets

Training sets are easy to define, but require some experimentation to determine for the

individual participating in the program. A training set has a specified number of

repetitions. That means that one individual may have seven repetitions in his training set,

but another could have more or less. The key to determining the proper number of

repetitions in a training set comes on day 3. You must perform 9 training sets that day. If

you only do 12 repetitions on a max effort set, then your training set would probably only

be 1-3 repetitions. Remember, it is much more important that you complete all nine sets

than doing an extra rep and only completing 6 or 7 sets. Day 3 calls for you to do nine

training sets. Adjust your training set so that you can complete this routine properly.

The best gauge for the number of repetitions in a training set comes on day 4. If you

successfully complete day 3, try increasing the number of repetitions in your training set

by one when you do day 4. If you complete at least 9 training sets, then you know your

training set should be that higher number. If you do less than nine sets, stick with the

number you used for day 3.

This means that I should increase the number of repetitions in my training set from 4 to 5 next week. Getting better

I chose today to repeat the 3rd day of the program, but to increase my "working set" from 4 to 5 repetitions. I failed to do all 9 sets. I did only 7, and in my 8th set I achieved only 4 repetitions. I'm tiered a little. Next week I have to make it!!!

I also started drinking B12 (cyanocobalamin): swallowed 2000 ng

Fifth day, Week 3

MORNING ROUTINE PUSH-UPS: 30, 30, 30

PULL UPS: 5 repetitions x 7 sets

First day, week 4:

MORNING ROUTINE PUSH UPS: 30, 30, 30

PULL-UPS: 6, 6, 5, 5, 5

Day one was bad as always. I don't know why is it like that. I was better when I started the program. I feel very sore in my back, neck, arms, everywhere... But, I'll keep on pushing myself according to program. No giving up. I know I'm getting better, but it doesn't show, because I'M EXHAUSTED! But I'm also starting to be inpatient: will I ever reach that "unreachable" 10 repetitions set (and more!)?

Second day, Week 4:

PULL -UPS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and then I could do a final set of only 4

observation: I think that bar I've been using to workout on the beach is to slippery and maybe too thin. I tried today doing pull ups on a swing at children's playground. It has a thicker bar and I think my grip is better with that. Tomorrow I'll do my pull ups on that swing. I also read some articles about advantages of doing pull ups on a thicker bar, so I'm going to try that out.

Wow!

That is some great progress - and all from just pull ups? No weight training at all? I am intrigued by the program, I had not heard of it before. I may be interested in doing it after I complete the Insanity program I am currently following.

Good Job!

Third day, Week 4:

PULL -UPS: 4 repetitions x 9 sets

used thicker bar and the grip was much better, though it felt more like an exercise for lower arms then for lats

Same as last week. Didn't want to increase the number of repetitions from 4 to 5, because I didn't feel like it today (I'm kind of feeling bad and I'm having some digestion problems. I think I overeat yesterday. Maybe I'm trying to hard to gain weight, so I'm exaggerating with food intake...

Edited by vege

More nuts and seeds! They add plenty of calories, and quite easily.

NOOOO! I think that is the digestive problem actually, at least in my case

I eat 50 g of chia seed with my mashed bananas this morning and now I am spending my afternoon in the toilet counting them as they come out of me, if you know what I mean

After many experimenting with my diet I know now I am a chickpeas-and-lentils and not a nuts-and-seeds person.

I eat 50 g of chia seed with my mashed bananas this morning and now I am spending my afternoon in the toilet counting them as they come out of me, if you know what I mean

After many experimenting with my diet I know now I am a chickpeas-and-lentils and not a nuts-and-seeds person.

Well then I suppose more milks and juices. No fiber, no density, but calories!

Well then I suppose more milks and juices. No fiber, no density, but calories!

Hey, I was always wondering about nutrients in almond or hempseed milk. Do all proteins go into milk, or there is some left in the pulp?

I've been away from the forum for months, just stopping in off and on, but now I'm back and it's great to see so many new faces and names!

I love pull-ups.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you Robert, you are an inspiration!

If you are talking about making milks at home, then definitely some is left in the pulp. But with store-bought foods you can just read the nutrition panel. I would personally get some Silk Unsweetened (green container) and some Almond Breeze Unsweetened. They are both great sources of vitamins that most vegans are usually low on (B12, D, Calcium) and they don't have any added sugars to junk them up. They do run $2.50 to $3 per half gallon though :/