Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

well I hope it is wetsuit legal for you. You have a great attitude about the whole race so you'll be fine. just keep moving forward not matter what happens. If you switch to breaststroke in the swim or walk during the run at least you would be moving forward and getting it done! In my experience rolling hills means no major climbs just some hills to make you suffer some.

Yes I am doing another tri this time it is a sprint. it will be my first sprint. I am using it as a warmup race for the back to back oly's i have coming up the next two weekends. It should be a ton of fun! I can't wait already!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a wetsuit, and the race is apparently wetsuit legal. My suit has full sleeves. I'd like to be brave and try swimming in the bay and work my way up to an Alcatraz swim...that water is quite chilly so I figured I'd get the full sleeve.

I used my wetsuit already in a race this year plus some OWS sessions, so I'm used to swimming in it. That was in a gross lake, the race this weekend is in a river so I'm not sure how different that will be. Might affect sighting I'm told.

I'd like to be brave and try swimming in the bay and work my way up to an Alcatraz swim...

lobsteriffic, you'll never guess who works out at my gym....the founder of the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon!

His name is Joe and he is an absolute trip. At 75, he does these upside-down chin ups in the cage at my gym, scaring the hell out of all the young 'uns. He has some crazy exercises that he does specifically for swim training. It always draws some stares. He has a great personality--always upbeat and proactive and completely encouraging no matter who you are or where you are in your fitness journey. I call him "Coach." He gives me crap for chatting with my buddies sometimes in between sets. I tell him, "Hey, Joe, I'm absorbing their power through osmosis, here, I need a little time!" and we laugh. He's just as guilty for kibitzing at the dumbbell rack, especially if you ask him about Alcatraz and how it all got started. Then, he can go for hours! Ha, ha!

He says he's not sure if he'll be doing the race anymore, might hang up his Alcatraz cleats, so to speak. Hell, at 75, as healthy as he is, he can do whatever he damned well pleases.

Baby Herc

Sunday, August 15th: Olympic Tri!

Woke up painfully early. Made the drive to the town, it's over an hour away. Got there early and set up. Weather was overcast/occasionally drizzling. At least it wasn't super hot.

Swim:

Course was two loops of a 750m triangle. I went WAY off course in my second loop. I was disoriented in the waves and started sighting off of the wrong buoy. I've never swam in waves before...it was actually making me a bit sea sick! A kayaker didn't stop me until I was about a couple hundred meters off course. Yikes. Definitely the last one out of the water. Figure I swam closer to 1750m.

T1:

Suit got stuck on heels a bit. Tried to slow down and take my time as my head was still reeling from my horrible swim. Didn't want to forget things.

Bike:

This course was pretty silly...it was open to traffic and was a busy street! Almost had a close call with a stupid truck and I noticed some other athletes having problems.

The way out was pretty fast going, some rolling hills on the way back. Nothing too major, just enough to keep you shifting constantly. Caught up with a few folks but my swim put me pretty far behind everyone else so my second loop was a bit lonely.

T2:

Transition was poorly controlled...people that finished the duathlon and sprint triathlon were just hanging out and blocking the exit. Nice.

Run:

My marthon training has paid off, run felt good. I had to stop to walk a couple of times but that's because I had a painful blister, not because I was tired. Not sure why I always get a blister in the same spot in tris...I never get one when I'm just running. And yes my feet are dry when I put on my socks. Hmm.

I also had to pee really, really badly. There wasn't a portapotty on the course which I thought was silly. Also, the aid station just had water. I could have used something a little more but oh well. Seems to me I was told they would have a sports drink.

Overall:

super happy I finished! Even if my time wasn't that great... I looked at the splits for the other slow swimmers and I definitely would have passed them on the bike and run. There was just too much time to make up. Oh well. I wasn't really there to race against others.

Going to spend the off-season working on my swimming and come back and rock it next year.

Monday, August 16th:

Rest day - calves are killing me!

u did it! It's great you kept after it even after the swim didn't go as planned. Dealing with what happens is so important in racing! I've had problems with traffic on my races too. It's sad really. yuck on the transition area! Thicker socks help me with the blister issue. Also you can put body glide or any anti-chaffing product on your feet. I put powder in my cycling shoes because I wear them without socks and I also put powder in my running socks. Something I think the aid stations run out of the sports drinks. But again way to keep going when things were not going your way! It was your first oly and I think you did great! You got one oly under your belt now look out!!!

Thanks!

I agree with you though. During training you can control so much more. During the actual race so many extraneous variables come up and you have to be able to just make a decision and deal with them. The research geek in me wants to liken this to internal/external validity...*cough*nerd*cough*

Tuesday, August 17th

5 mile run (46:45)

Run this morning felt really good. First half I averaged 9:41/mile and second half was 9:00/mile.

Never thought that a 5 mile run would feel short and quick...Not that many months ago this is what my long run was at.

Calves still tight from my race on Sunday...will try and stretch them out tonight.

Wednesday, August 18th:

AM: 10 mile run (1:42:19)

First couple of miles felt hard but then I settled into a comfortable groove.

PM: actually went and did some weights! Want to work in a full body routine Mon/Wed/Fri

Goblet Squats:

30 x 8

40 x 8

40 x 8

DB RDLs:

40 x 8

40 x 8

40 x 8

Lat Pulldown:

60 x 8

70 x 8

80 x 8

Arnold Press:

15 x 8

20 x 8

20 x 5

Single Arm DB Row:

30 x 8

30 x 8

30 x 8

Incline DB Press:

15 x 8

20 x 8

20 x 8

Some ab stuff, some stretching

Thanks guys!

Viva - Usually no. Sometimes I take my ipod on my long runs that are over 2 hours. But I need to get some new music or something as I have gotten sick of my playlists.

I honestly don't notice much of a difference in my pace with music vs. no music. The only factor is boredom, and that's not even that big of a deal for me. Usually I just end up thinking and problem solving.

Thursday, August 19th:

1 mile warmup: 10:38

3 mile TT: 24:45 (!!!!)

1 mile cooldown: 10:00

I got so excited at 3 miles I forgot to keep going until 3.1 miles so it would be 5K and I could see if I met my time goal of less than 25:00. I averaged 8:15/mile and was really speedy at the end so I'm guessing I would have been just over 25:00.

Awesome!

Friday, August 20th:

700m swim

This really sucked. Just haven't been feeling the swimming lately.

Was going to go do weights at lunch but I have hardcore DOMS in my legs and I am supposed to go for my first 20 mile run tomorrow morning so thought I would just rest. I can barely walk! Need to get used to lifting again.