5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

Share your favorite recipes with us.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#1 Postby Baby Hercules » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:42 pm

OK, this is a delicious competition to see who can come up with the fastest, easiest, tastiest entree or dessert that takes less than 15 minutes to make. I'm as lazy--I mean professional and pressed for time--as the next person and I've got a few quickies that take care of those hunger pangs, immediatamente. I'm willing to bet this forum is a gold mine for them.

Rules:

1. Must be totally vegan. Duh.
2. Can be cooked or fresh, as in you can use an ingredient that's already cooked, like bread, baked potatoes, etc. but total prep time must be under 15 minutes.
3. No prepackaged stand-ins: you can't just sprinkle a few things on Amy's Vegan Lasagna and pass it off as your own creation, you lazy bum. Commercial toppings are OK, though, like Daiya Cheese, Parma!, bottled vegan salad dressings, etc.
4. 15 minute prep time means one person, not a team of twenty working for 15 minutes like a Martha Stewart segment.
5. Extra points will be awarded for totally raw and/or very portable dishes, for instance things you can easily take hiking or to work.
6. You have to have had experience with this dish, no copying off vegan websites without taking it on a test run first.
7. Must be made of ingredients we have a reasonable chance of finding in our local grocery store or farmer's market. No imported white truffles from Romania or anything.
7b. Must be ingredients we can afford without selling a kidney.
8. Tell us if you've shared this dish with others at a party, etc. and gotten rave reviews. Bonus points allotted if the party-goers didn't know it was vegan.

Voting will be completely arbitrary and subjective based on current whimsy and personal tastes. The point of the competition is to shamelessly brag about your own stuff and then plagiarize your friend's. Notice how we all win, though?

OK...ready...set...GO!
Last edited by Baby Hercules on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#2 Postby Baby Hercules » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:44 pm

STUFFED DATES

Sweetest, softest unpitted dates you can find
Whole, raw pecans
Fresh mint leaves

Take a pecan and wrap it in a mint leaf. Stuff the whole thing inside a pitted date. Chew and moan with happiness.

I brought this to a raw foodist's potluck once. The plate was cleared in less time than it took to make it.

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

User avatar
chrisjs
Elephant
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Piscataway, NJ, US

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#3 Postby chrisjs » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:45 pm

RAW ALMONDS

1 package of raw almonds


Open package. Eat.


I win! :D

User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#4 Postby Baby Hercules » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:02 pm

chrisjs wrote:RAW ALMONDS

1 package of raw almonds


Open package. Eat.


I win! :D


Gee, Chris, do you tell people they're eating vegan when you serve this or do you spring it on 'em afterward? (rolling eyes)

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#5 Postby Baby Hercules » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Nobody cooks on this forum?

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Fallen_Horse
Elephant
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#6 Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Define cooking. I make plenty of sandwiches and smoothies with 5 ingredients or less, but I don't count those as cooking. :D
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

User avatar
lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3582
Age: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:28 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#7 Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:50 pm

I cook a lot. I usually make things with more than 5 ingredients though.

User avatar
Marcina
Elephant
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:39 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#8 Postby Marcina » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:45 pm

Raw pasta

Sauce:
Fresh Roma Tomatoes
Fresh Garlic
Fresh Cilantro
Fresh Basil
Sun-dried Tomatoes

Add ingredients to a blender. I make it different everytime.. I usually use about 3 roma tomatoes, 1 clove of garlic, a small clump of cilantro, a pinch of basil, and I use sliced sun-dried tomatoes, so I usually just put in a fork-full, or enough to make the sauce thicken.

The pasta is whatever vegetable you want. I use a zucchini, and I use a potato peeler to make fettucine noodles! Put the sauce on top and VOILA!
I eat this all the time because it's quick, easy, and SO DELICIOUS!!

User avatar
VelvetVoices
Manatee
Posts: 302
Age: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Winterpeg

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#9 Postby VelvetVoices » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:44 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:I cook a lot. I usually make things with more than 5 ingredients though.

Same here.... thou last night I did make some vegan homemade quinoa pasta, can't believe how easy/fast it is to make. (Still gonna tweak it) Prep time was under 15 mins if you don't count drying the pasta....

1 cup quinoa flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp water

-Put flours in food processor to mix; then add oil and water.
-add little flour to each side of the dough and put it threw your pasta machine
-then dry the pasta for 20-30mins
-bring water to boil and cook pasta for a minute or so
-top with Marcina raw pasta sauce :D

User avatar
Marcina
Elephant
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:39 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#10 Postby Marcina » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:39 pm

My sauce tastes great heated up too!!

When I eat it raw, I like to add cayenne pepper for "heat"

But, you can totally simmer it on the stove for a bit. It's great!

User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#11 Postby Baby Hercules » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Marcina wrote:Raw pasta

Sauce:
Fresh Roma Tomatoes
Fresh Garlic
Fresh Cilantro
Fresh Basil
Sun-dried Tomatoes

Add ingredients to a blender. I make it different everytime.. I usually use about 3 roma tomatoes, 1 clove of garlic, a small clump of cilantro, a pinch of basil, and I use sliced sun-dried tomatoes, so I usually just put in a fork-full, or enough to make the sauce thicken.

The pasta is whatever vegetable you want. I use a zucchini, and I use a potato peeler to make fettucine noodles! Put the sauce on top and VOILA!
I eat this all the time because it's quick, easy, and SO DELICIOUS!!


This sounds awesome, Marcina, I can't wait to try it! Especially in the heat we've been having.

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

keinumatti
Finch
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 9:27 am
Location: Tampere, Finland

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#12 Postby keinumatti » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:07 pm

15-minute (or less) kidney bean and spinach curry


Okay, this has six ingredients; it's the best I can do. This is quick and easy to make, it looks pretty, and is also handy when the refrigerator is empty. Serve with a few of slices of bread to mop it up and you'll have a meal with a full amino-acid profile and just over 30g protein per serving. It also has the merit of being very cheap; I live in Finland (where food is very expensive) and I can make this dish for under €1,50, so it ought to be even cheaper to make in other countries.

Ingredients: (serves 1)

1. 1(-2) clove(s) of garlic, finely chopped
2. 100g frozen spinach
3. 1 (420g) tin of kidney beans, rinsed (255g drained weight)
4. 1 tbsp curry powder (or more, it's up to you really)
5. Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved.

6. 100g(ish) Bread, such as pitta, or just ordinary boring toast.

Instructions:
1. Heat a little olive oil in a wok or frying pan, sauté the garlic for a minute or two, until golden.
2. Add the curry powder to the garlic and oil, stirring constantly.
3. After the powder has been mixed with the oil and garlic, add the kidney beans and frozen spinach. Cover and heat through, stirring frequently to prevent the spinach sticking to the bottom of the pan. I usually find that it's hot after around 5-6 minutes.
4. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and heat for a further minute. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.
5. Serve with a little olive oil drizzled on top with some warm bread on the side.

Enjoy!

User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#13 Postby Baby Hercules » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:47 pm

keinumatti wrote:15-minute (or less) kidney bean and spinach curry


Okay, this has six ingredients; it's the best I can do. This is quick and easy to make, it looks pretty, and is also handy when the refrigerator is empty. Serve with a few of slices of bread to mop it up and you'll have a meal with a full amino-acid profile and just over 30g protein per serving. It also has the merit of being very cheap; I live in Finland (where food is very expensive) and I can make this dish for under €1,50, so it ought to be even cheaper to make in other countries.

Ingredients: (serves 1)

1. 1(-2) clove(s) of garlic, finely chopped
2. 100g frozen spinach
3. 1 (420g) tin of kidney beans, rinsed (255g drained weight)
4. 1 tbsp curry powder (or more, it's up to you really)
5. Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved.

6. 100g(ish) Bread, such as pitta, or just ordinary boring toast.

Instructions:
1. Heat a little olive oil in a wok or frying pan, sauté the garlic for a minute or two, until golden.
2. Add the curry powder to the garlic and oil, stirring constantly.
3. After the powder has been mixed with the oil and garlic, add the kidney beans and frozen spinach. Cover and heat through, stirring frequently to prevent the spinach sticking to the bottom of the pan. I usually find that it's hot after around 5-6 minutes.
4. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and heat for a further minute. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.
5. Serve with a little olive oil drizzled on top with some warm bread on the side.

Enjoy!


Mmmmmmmmm! Sounds good, keinumatti!

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Baby Hercules
Elephant
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am
Location: in the Vortex
Contact:

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#14 Postby Baby Hercules » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Vegan Parmesan Cheese

If any of you have tasted the vegan Parmesan cheese, Parma!, I think I've gotten close to the recipe....

3 C. raw walnut pieces
2 1/2 C. large flake Red Star Nutritional Yeast
1 1/2 t. sea salt

Put all in food processor and blend evenly. Keep in fridge in airtight container and use in place of Parmesan cheese on everything. I've already tossed it in with pasta and tomato chunks and it was AWESOME! It goes well in sandwiches, too. Marcina, this would be a lovely topping for your raw "fettucini and pasta sauce" creation.

Nutritional yeast really packs a nutritional wallop, too, especially in B12: http://www.bulkfoods.com/nutritional_yeast.htm

Baby Herc
Last edited by Baby Hercules on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

User avatar
lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3582
Age: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:28 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: 5 INGREDIENTS & 15 MINUTES CHALLENGE

#15 Postby lobsteriffic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:58 am

The recipe in Yellow Rose Recipes is really good if you are looking for a parmesan. I've never tried Parma but I hear it is really good.


Return to “Vegan Recipes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests