Omega Fatty Acids & Tooth Decay

Corey

This might sound odd, but ...

Since becoming vegan, but more particularly over the course of the past year, the rate of decay in my teeth has seemingly increased. About 9 months ago, I went to the dentist and had 3 cavities filled. And again, a month ago, I went to the dentist and needed 4 more filled. I've always had a relatively clean bill of health from the dentist in years past. I brush, floss, and rinse religiously. My mom's a dental hygeinist, for goodness sake!

My dentist went on to ask me about my diet. Do I consume lots of soda? Virtually none. Do I chew lots of gum or candy? No. I told him that I was vegan, therefore had the tendency to avoid sweets, etc. He mentioned that I might be lacking the omega fatty acids, that this might be leading to the decay. I have starting supplementing my diet with flax oil in hopes that this might solve the problem.

I was wondering though, if anyone has experienced or heard of anything similar to this? Or is anyone well-versed in the role that fatty acids play with concern to tooth enamel or anything of the like? It seems so strange.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have had a problem just swallowing the oil straight too, although I know other people for whom it doesn't pose a problem. I'm with kollision in that it makes me want to vomit. I ought to try the ground up kind - I'm fine with not being able to taste it! Does it have the same nutritional value as the oil?

Oil as in Fatty Oil? Im not exactly sure. But it does taste the same to me. Actually there is no taste, but I think its the texture. It locks up my throat a lot and then makes me want to throw up. But those fat oil is still good. Just get a tablespoon and mix it in oatmeal and you wont taste it.

Essential fatty acids are good for a lot of things. If you are lacking in them can they effect the teeth? As I am a holistic counselor, I coach people that we are not just a set of teeth, or a circulatory system, that we are a whole unit.

Often vegans consume a lot of dried fruits, such as raisins, apricots, etc. While this may be healthier than a Snickers bar, the sticky sugar content is still not good for teeth. I would either cut down on those, rehydrate them (by soaking them in water for a time) but always at minimum rinse your mouth out after eating them. This may apply to high-sugar fruits as well, with a little less "stick factor."

I found a lot of dental relief by following the above concepts. I am not a big gum fan, but I even have taken to chewing some Peelu natural fiber gum after meals for the same effect.

Adam

that is so weird i have actually noticed a difference as well! i just got 3 cavities filled today. i was so confused because i eat so healthy (most of the time ). but the dental hygenist told me that lots of fruits and fruit juice can to the same thing that candy bars and soda do, even they're so much better for your bod.

but i do need to start taking omega 3. is there a supplement or something made from flax???

I believe in using whole foods over "partial" foods. You can buy some golden flax seeds for very cheap and grind them up in a coffee grinder-type of equipment. Flax seed oil may be more concentrated, but it is not a whole food. I am still not convinced of an Omega 3/cavity connection.

Adam

that is so weird i have actually noticed a difference as well! i just got 3 cavities filled today. i was so confused because i eat so healthy (most of the time ). but the dental hygenist told me that lots of fruits and fruit juice can to the same thing that candy bars and soda do, even they're so much better for your bod.

but i do need to start taking omega 3. is there a supplement or something made from flax???

You can get it in liquid form, just make sure its not coming from fish and that if it is tablets, its not from gelatin.

cool! I went to the store today and bought some ground up flax seeds. I guess I'll just stir some in my oatmeal or something! but I also found this wonderful natures valley "flax/pumpkin seed granola" cereal. i bought it and it tastes real good! and it has omega 3 and 6

• 2 weeks later...

okay. if the liquid makes you want to vomit, kol, try the cinnamon flavored spectrum flax oil.

as for the seeds, whole are better than ground. pre-ground will actually lose a lot of their active nutrients. that's what seeds do when the are broken open.

there are brown and golden flax seeds (in Europe they are often called linseeds...i'll come back to this). brown have slightly higher oil content. golden taste better, are crunchier, and have higher fiber content.

now. linseeds. flax seeds. linoleum, like in some people's kitchens or bathrooms on the floor, is made from flax or linseeds. but please don't eat the linoleum.

now, for omega fatty acids, i prefer hemp seeds and avocados. grapeseed oil is also good. but don't cook with it, just put it on salads and things instead of olive oil. hemp protein powders still have omega fatty acids. and you can get hemp oil, but it seems pointless because the seeds are very tasty and have a lot of protein. avocados are almost as good for the omegas and the taste so good. i personally love the whole foods vegan burger with guacamole on a sprouted ezekial bun.