Vege's training diary

I'm back in gym. Decided to keep a journal of my exercises. So, here how it looked like today:

HOW IT FELT: great!!! Enjoyed barbell lying triceps extensions!

BACK:

cable lat pull down, wide grip, front: 5 sets of 10 reps with 45 kg

T-bar rows: 4 sets of 10 reps with 30 kg / 1 set of 8 reps with 40 kg

dumbbell rows: 1 set of 10 reps with 7,5 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps with 10 kg

cable lat pull down, back: 2 sets of 10 reps with 40 kg / 1 set of 10 reps with 45 kg

cable lat pull down, close grip: 3 sets of 10 reps with 45 kg

hyperextension: 1 set of 10 reps body-weight, 2 sets of 10 reps with 10 kg

TRICEPS

single arm dumbbell extensions: 1 set of 10 reps with 5 kg / 3 sets of 10 reps with 7.5 kg

triceps dips: 3 sets of 10 reps

barbell lying triceps extensions: 1 set of 10 reps with 10 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps with 20 kg

cable triceps extension: 3 sets of 10 reps with 15 kg

ABS

3 different abs workouts, each done in 3 sets of 20 reps

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday August 20

I have knee issues, so I've been avoided doing squats, till yesterday. I read so many good thing about doing squats and decided to incorporate them into my routine gradually. It felt really nice, like some energy rushing through whole of my body, after doing a set of squats:) And knees don't hurt today. Maybe it's good to go a little against the disability?

And one new thing more: I've been watching this guy VICTOR COSTA

on Youtube and liked his style, so I decided to lower the weights and increase the number of repetitions in some of my legs workout. I did all exercises very very slowly, in the style he recommends in the video I linked to. Today I feel my muscles burning, but in the right way:) I'll have rest for two days, including today.

LEGS

leg extension: 4 sets of 20 reps: 15, 15, 15, 20 kg

leg press: 40 reps @ 25 kg / 30 reps @ 50kg/ 20 reps @ 75 kg / 10 reps @ 100 kg (I almost failed during the last repetition)

squat: 1 set with empty bar, 2 sets of 10 reps @ 10 kg (I know I can lift more, but I am working on learning the right execution now)

leg curl: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 20, 20, 20, 25 kg

calf raise: 4 sets of 15 reps @ 60 kg

SHOULDERS

machine shoulder press: 4 sets of 15 reps @ 60 kg

dumbbell lateral shoulder raise: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 5 kg

seated bent over DB fly: 4 sets of 10 reps: 4 kg, 5 kg, 5 kg, 5 kg

ABS

3 different abs workouts, each done in 3 sets of 20 reps

STRETCHING: couple of yoga asanas

CHEST

machine incline bench press: 1 set of 30 reps @ 40 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 80 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 100 kg

bench press: 1 set of 15 reps @ 50 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 5o kg / 2 sets of 8 reps @ 60 kg

incline dumbbell fly: 1 set of 15 reps @ 5 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 7,5 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 10 kg

dumbbell pull over: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 15 kg

BICEPS

straight bar biceps curl: 1 set of 15 reps @ 20 kg / 3 sets @ 30 kg ( 10, 8, 6 reps)

biceps preacher curl: 3 sets of 15 reps @ 10 kg

incline biceps dumbbell curl: 3 sets @ 7.5 kg ( 8, 8 and 6 repetitions)

ABS: started doing them and then felt exhausted and started shaking, so I decided to quit and immediately eat my 10 BANANAS!

I'd be cautious about the leg extensions if you have knee issues. If you have anything that causes pain with patellar tracking that's off-center (kneecap shifting outward or inward when leg extends), you might find that extensions can lead to more pain. Even when strong at squatting, I can't do leg extensions with more than a small amount of weight or my knees will be sore for days afterward.

Though, good, deep squatting with proper form can be very much rehabilitative to the knees if there's no condition that warrants avoiding squats. As long as they're done deep, no bounce at the bottom, and form is kept tight, it can help alleviate knee pain - it definitely does for me, no question about it!

I'd be cautious about the leg extensions if you have knee issues. If you have anything that causes pain with patellar tracking that's off-center (kneecap shifting outward or inward when leg extends), you might find that extensions can lead to more pain. Even when strong at squatting, I can't do leg extensions with more than a small amount of weight or my knees will be sore for days afterward.

Though, good, deep squatting with proper form can be very much rehabilitative to the knees if there's no condition that warrants avoiding squats. As long as they're done deep, no bounce at the bottom, and form is kept tight, it can help alleviate knee pain - it definitely does for me, no question about it!

Thank you for your advice, vegansEssentials I have no serious pain in knees. I have week knees though, due to some inborne tissue degeneration in the knees, so hey make terrible sounds as I squat. I never felt any serious pain in my knees, but they're definitely weak an noisy.

I feel comfortable with extensions, with normal weights, for now. Squats were fine also. One thing I can't do for sure, even without weights are lunges: my knees just don't work here

In some todays exercise I tried Victor Costa's advice to use medium weights and do exercises properly and slowly to the exhaustion. I definitely feel that this is the right way for me to exercise. I always loved doing exercises with proper form and never really understood those guys in the gym that take way to heavy weight for them and the jerk and bounce. I love elegance and endurance. Next time, I will definitely do ALL exercises in this manner.

BACK

cable lat pull down, wide grip: 2 sets of 30 reps @ 30 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 35 kg

cable lat pull down, close grip: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 45 kg

bent over barbell rows: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 40 kg, 40 kg, 30 kg, 30 kg (I will use only 30 kg in order to keep proper form next time)

seated cable rows: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 45 kg, 50 kg and 55 kg

hyperextension: 1 set of 15 reps free weight / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 10 kg

TRICEPS

cable triceps extension: 4 sets @ 15 kg: 20, 15, 15, 10 repetitions

seated overhead tricep extension: 1 set of 10 reps @ 12.5 kg / 3 sets of 10 reps @ 15 kg

barbell lying tricep extensions: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 10 kg

dumbbell shrugs: 3 sets of 15 reps @ 7,5 kg, 10 kg, 10 kg

ABS

LEGS

leg extension: 3 sets @ 20 kg: 40, 25, 20 repetitions

leg curl: 3 sets @ 20 kg: 25 20, 15 repetitions

squat: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 30, 40, 40, 40 kg

leg press: 30 reps @ 50 kg / 20 reps @ 75 kg / 10 reps @ 100 kg ( didn't seem that heavy as last week;)

calf raise: 3 sets of 15 reps @ 30 kg

SHOULDERS

front barbell shoulder press: 4 sets @ 40 kg: 8, 8, 6, 6 reps

shoulder high pulls: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 30 kg

seated bent over DB fly: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 5 kg

DIDN'T HAVE TIME FOR ABS: I was in the gym for nearly 2 hours! Maybe due to high repetitions in some sets, don't know... I felt like I was starting to shake and needed sugar, so I gave up abs... and eat my 10 bananas!

hey, you're doing great.

Q about squats though. What kinds are you doing? Which ways do you position your legs and feet? I know there are different kinds and ways you can stand to work different leg muscles. Where and how are you holding the barbells and/or dumbbells? Just looking for advice from someone more experienced than me. Currently I'm only doing walking lunges with dumbbells but I want to start doing squats.

Keep at it!

hey, you're doing great.

Q about squats though. What kinds are you doing? Which ways do you position your legs and feet? I know there are different kinds and ways you can stand to work different leg muscles. Where and how are you holding the barbells and/or dumbbells? Just looking for advice from someone more experienced than me. Currently I'm only doing walking lunges with dumbbells but I want to start doing squats.

Keep at it!

Thank, but I am TOTALLY unexperienced in squats I've just started to do them. I do them like this guy in the video.

Today I was reluctant to go to gym, but at the end decided to go. I drank 3 bears yesterday evening, and my final conclusion is: I simply cannot stand alcohol anymore. I don't get drunk, I just feel like poisoned. I will not drink alcohol in the future! At least not before the day I have to go to gym. But surprisingly, I was very good and energetic during workouts. Thank God!

CHEST

bench press: 4 sets @ 60 kg: 15, 10, 8, 8 reps / 1 set @ 65: 6 reps (I'm slowly increasing the weights)

barbell incline bench press: 4 sets @ 50 kg: 8,8,8,6 reps

chest dumbbell fly: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 10 kg

pec deck: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 25 kg

BICEPS

seated biceps concentration curl: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 5kg

biceps scott bench curl: 2 sets of 10 reps @ 10 kg / 1 set of 8 reps @ 15 kg

standing dumbbell curls: 30 reps @ 5 kg / 2 sets @ 7.5 kg: 15 and 10 reps (this killed my biceps!)

ABS: did some, but not to much

Also, did some yoga asanas for stretching afterwards.

OK, after short break due to my family obligations, I went back to gym today. Felt like shit, because of some personal problems and disgusting weather (temperature dropped from 37 to 13 Celsius here I needed something to make my day and I decided to try doing dead lifts for the first time. The guy in the gym said that maybe it's too early for me to start with dead lifts, but he showed me the how to do them anyway. Why does he think it's too early? I go to gym like 3 months already... Anyway, when I finally did them, he noticed my execution was surprisingly good (I thank to 5 years of yoga for that, again!) I LOVE DEAD LIFTS! I felt that same energy I felt when I tried squats for the first time last week. Those compound exercises make me happy actually. Now I feel much better then before gym! I also did some posing: got 2 kg more during last couple of weeks (eating, eating, eating, that's all I do...). I'm slowly loosing "definition" , which means moving away from skinny, and hopefully getting more muscle mass.

http://a.imageshack.us/img231/9963/1septemb2010.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us http://a.imageshack.us/img836/5429/dsc00021wp.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BACK:

cable lat pull down, wide grip, front: 5 sets of 10 reps @ 45 kg

T-bar rows: 5 sets of 10 reps @ 30, 40, 40, 50, 50 kg (improving, I really enjoy this workout!)

dumbbell rows: 3 set of 10 reps @ 10, 10 & 12.5 kg / 1 sets of 6 reps @ 15 kg

cable lat pull down, back: 3 sets of 12 reps @ 35 kg

cable lat pull down, close grip: 3 sets of 12 reps @ 35 kg

hyperextension: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 10, 15, 20 kg

dead lifts: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 40, 40, 50 kg

TRICEPS

single arm dumbbell extensions: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 7.5 kg

triceps dips: 3 sets of 10 reps

barbell lying triceps extensions: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 15 kg

cable triceps extension: 3 sets of 15 reps @ 15 kg

ABS (not too many, I really have to get myself together with abs workouts, I am avoiding them, obviously. Just too tired at the end to do them...)

LEGS

leg extension: 20 reps @ 20 kg / 15 reps @ 25 kg & 30 kg / 10 reps @ 30 kg

leg press: 15 reps @ 75 kg / 3 sets of 10 reps @ 100 kg (improving and enjoying doing this exercise!)

squat: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 40 kg

leg curl: 2 sets of 10 reps @ 25 kg / 2 sets of 8 reps @ 30 kg

calf raise: 3 sets @ 30 kg: 15, 10 & 10 reps (decided to drop weight in order to do raises very slowly and with bigger concentration)

SHOULDERS

machine shoulder press: 15 reps @ 60 kg / 10 reps @ 70 kg / 2 sets of 8 reps @ 80 kg

(BTW, this is the most difficult exercise in my entire program! I can't increase weight. I tried to do it with 7,5 kg dumbbells but then my execution became poor. I firmly believe that proper execution is more important then just lifting more and more heavy weights. I'll stick to 5 kg until I'm able to execute the exercise with bigger weight.)

seated bent over DB fly: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 5 kg (I even slowly improve in this exercise, which was the hardest in the beginning)

ABS: did couple of sets, but nothing seriously... Do I really have to do abs at all!?

What you said about the yoga is so true. I find it helps everything! My flexibility was commented on at the gym the other day, and I find I usually end up less injured than I normally would from the conditoning also.

I'm considering doing yoga again, 2 times a week. That would mean I go to gym 4 times, and do yoga 2 times a week. And I also plan to hike again. I'm afraid it's going to make me a sport addict! No, really, I will have to give up something. Btw, I'm hiking 30 km on Saturday, from one mountain to another. Can't wait!

I still feel sore from the legs workput the other day. Tomorrow I'll go hiking 30 km in the mountains. I hope it's not gonna hurt!

CHEST

machine incline bench press: 5 sets of 12 reps @ 80 kg

bench press: 1 set of 10 reps @ 50 kg / 2 sets of 8 reps @ 60 kg ( not improving, bench is my week side)

incline dumbbell fly: 2 sets of 10 reps @ 7,5 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 10 kg

dumbbell pull over: 2 sets of 10 reps @ 12,5 kg / 10 reps @ 15 kg / 10 reps @ 17,5 kg

BICEPS

straight bar biceps curl: 1 set of 15 reps @ 20 kg / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 25 kg

incline biceps dumbbell curl: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 5 kg

scott machine biceps curl: 3 sets @ 20 kg: 2 sets of 8 reps and then failed to do the third one, did only 7 reps

ABS: did 60 of one type.

Nothing to envy about, Vegan Resistance

hiking was catastrophe. On Friday I had to go on a dinner with meat eating friends. Everything was meat and diary on the menu, so I took baked beans and late in the night it turned out beans were spoiled or something (I didn't notice anything strange in taste), so I got bad digestion problems. Anyway, in the morning I decided to go hiking still, got up at 5 AM, and met my hiking-group. And the rest is a horror story. I had to go to shit in the bushes for several times and at the end I gave up on half way and joined the group of older tired hikers that stopped at the 17th km. So, I dodn't do my planed 30 km hike And my asshole hurt from all that shitting, fuck! Now I'm spending a day on George Oshawa's macrobiotic Diet number 7, which means overcooked whole grain rice all day Feeling better already. Though, my legs hurt. It can be that I'm still sore from legs workout and then hiking... I'm beginning to think I overtrain... Maybe I should slow down, I mean I'm not that young anymore (37). I go really hard on my body sometimes demanding it to be like it is in its 20's or something... I'm old!

Training on Monday, September 6

BACK

cable lat pull down, wide grip: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 40 and 45 kg

cable lat pull down, close grip: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 40 kg

bent over barbell rows: 2 sets of 10 reps @ 30 kg & 40 kg/ 2 sets of 8 & 6 reps @ 50 kg

seated cable rows: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 55 kg

hyperextension: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 15 kg

dead lifts: 1 set of 10 reps @ 40 kg/ 3 sets of 10 reps @ 50 kg

TRICEPS

cable triceps extension: 3 sets of 15 reps @ 15 kg

seated overhead tricep extension: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 15 kg

barbell lying tricep extensions: 2 sets @ 10 kg: 10 reps & then just 8 (i felt totally exhausted!)

ABS: 3 sets of 20 reps

Yesterday, September 7:

Decided to pause, in order not to overtrain. I ran a little and did some pull ups and push ups. I also started to eat more fruit, felt like going back on 80/10/10 diet I started to drink clay, too. It all felt good and cleansing. Now I'm hiting the gym, after I eat big bowl of very sweet and ripe plums I'm doing squats, so God help me

LEGS

leg extension: 4 sets of 15 reps @ 30 kg

leg curl: 2 sets of 10 reps @ 30 kg / 2 sets of 6 reps @ 30 kg

squat: 1 set of 10 reps @ 40 kg / 2 sets of 6 reps @ 50 kg ( IMPROVING! )

leg press: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 100 kg / 1 set of 6 reps @ 125 kg (IMPROVING!)

calf raise: decided to do only left leg because it's smaller then right one, due to injury in childhood. So I did: 4 sets @ 10 kg: 8,6,6,6

SHOULDERS

front barbell shoulder press: 1 set of 10 reps @ 40 kg/ 2 sets of 6 reps @ 50 kg (getting better!)

dumbbell lateral shoulder raise: 4 sets of 10 reps @ 5 kg (I WILL NEVER GET BETTER IN THIS, MY HARDEST EXERCISE, DON'T KNOW WHY)

shoulder high pulls: 1 set of 10 reps @ 20 kg / 3 sets of 10 reps @ 30 kg

seated bent over DB fly: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 5 kg (SAME AS FOR LATERAL RAISES, NEVER GETTING ANYWHERE WITH THIS EXERCISE )

ABS: 2 different exercises in 3 sets of 20 reps

NOTE: I will use the gym which is more near my house and cheaper. The thing is they don't have many machines, it's pretty basic, but maybe that's good: my plan is to go there twice a week, stay less then usual, and do squats, dead-lifts, bench press and such exercises for whole body and chest. I will start the Armstrong pull-ups program again, too.

OK, first workout in my new gym! I'm changing my exercise routine, almost no machines at all, focusing more on compound exercises.

I decided not to do Armstrong pull ups program as I planned, but I will do pull ups and chin ups from now on as a part of my back routine.

I will exercise 3 times instead of 4 times a week. I think I am in overtrained mode. I will also be staying in the gym for not so long. 1 hour at most. It will look like this:

day 1: chest & triceps

day 2: legs & shoulders

day 3: back and pull ups, chin ups for biceps ( I don't need bigger biceps for now, so I will not do any specific biceps exercise, like curls, etc.)

So, the first day looked like this:

CHEST

bench press: 10 reps @ 40 kg / 3 sets of 8 reps @ 60 kg

incline bench press: 10 reps @ 40 kg / 4 sets of 8 reps @ 50 kg

dumbbell incline chest press: 10 reps @ 10 kg / 2 x 10 reps @ 15 kg/ 2 x 10 reps @ 17,5 kg / 1 x 8 reps at 20 kg

TRISEPS

barbell lying triceps extensions:: 10 reps @ 15 kg / 2 x 10 reps @ 20 kg & 1 set of 8 reps

seated overhead tricep extension: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 15 kg

bench dips: 3 x 10 reps

All these training and I get sore muscles from helping a friend to paint her apartment! I was holding my right hand in upright position for the past two days, and my deltoid muscle is killing me now. Could it be that all the muscles you get in the gym are uselles in everyday life? Today is my gym day and I really don't know if I should give it a try at all... My right hand is totally sore! Maybe I should do only legs, and leave out the shoulder workouts...