Hell yes... lets kick up the intensity!!!!

MrSwolehouse

WOOOOOOOOOO! I'm glad I found this site. I literally just went Vegan this past week and I did it cold turkey. I don't like to transition in to anything as it proves to myself I can get shit done! Real quick here's my stats:

Name: Zac

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 190lbs

Hometown: Charlotte, NC

Hobbies: Getting hyooge, fast cars.

Been Vegan: 1 week

LOL, I know this is all crazy sounding and I'm sure everyone reading this is thinking "oh god, here we go! he'll be gone in a week!" NEGATIVE! I will be completely honest.. I did not go vegan because I care about animals, which I do, but that's not what has made me give up meat and dairy. I have been wanting to do this for a long time simply for the healthy lifestyle, but I was just too terrified of not being able to put on quality mass. I had always been told that trying to gain weight just wasn't in my structure, that it would be a wasted effort and to just enjoy other things in life. So I put up with so much bullshit in school, getting picked on and dealing with assholes non stop. Well finally a good friend of mine, who is an awesome bodybuilder (went from my size to 260lbs), proved to me it can be done.

And it definitely has been getting done!!! Yes I started lifting very late in life compared to most who want a bodybuilder physique, but I feel that I'm attacking it much smarter than most do. I have approached it right from the beginning with proven techniques and quality nutrition (or so I thought haha).

I went from 125lbs to now standing at 190lbs. All natural, no drugs and honestly not much in the way of supplementation at all. I really only use 2 or 3 things and protein shakes have never been one of them! I have always relied on whole foods. I literally ate chicken and rice 5 times a day. Breakfast was 8 eggs w/ wheat toast. Before bed meal was 6 eggs w/ 10 caps of fish oil and two tablespoons of Natty Peanut Butter.

My weight training all started with your basic Reg Park style 5x5 to get the core lifts up, but I quickly switched to a 5 day, Mon-Fri, routine and started maximizing my gains. Up until just recently I only trained for gaining strength in a linear progression. That worked for a little bit but then I realized it was time for some real hypertrophy. I was stuck at 170lbs for a minute and once I finally talked with my buddy and a couple other truly huge guys they gave me some solid tips that set the next 20lbs in motion. I figure now is the best time to show I can get over 200lbs and do it in a much more healthy manner!!!!!

As most, my biggest fear was getting enough protein and it being good enough to create solid muscle! WHAT AN IDIOT I WAS!!!! Once I finally read "The China Study" it all became clear

So here I am ready to take it to that next level and truly start attaining a bodybuilder physique!!!! I will need nutrition help/ advice no doubt. Right now I am really just maxing out the basics and using soy for a lot of my protein, don't worry that will change as I get used to this! hahaha.. and of course in return for your help I will do my best to get you guys doing some serious work in the gym!!!! I have scouted around the site and after looking at a lot of the training routines people are doing on here I know there is a lot left in the tank for some of you guys. Some are really missing out on real size. I'll just say this. Don't be like me and believe that all "mass follows strength". It only does to a certain point!

I hope I can really be of great use on this site as I know it will be for me

THANK YOU!!!

-Zac

Before: (on the left)

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs187.snc3/19446_758917062079_11801165_42265429_1910213_n.jpg

Recent:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs160.ash2/41358_456702743102_617948102_6258833_1010989_n.jpg

I'll take some better shots!

Edited by MrSwolehouse

Welcome dude!

Pumped to have you here.

Love the enthusiasm.....1 week vegan...awesome! Welcome to the lifestyle man!

Train hard, eat plenty. Hang out here and have fun. We have IFBB Pros who are vegan here, tons of amateur competitors and hundreds of regular members, thousands of members overall.

See you around! Welcome to the TEAM!

Robert

Ditto on the enthusiasm: you are like a nuclear reactor! I'm getting pumped up just reading your post! (Which is going to make falling asleep hard now; I should have read it just before going to the gym.) Love, love, love having another high-energy type on the boards. You are like an arrow headed straight for the bull's eye; It'll be fun to watch you succeed.

I look forward to reading more about your exciting journey.

Baby Hercules

Thank you for the comments! I have always been high on the energy!!!! hahaha it's funny because when all my friends are getting trashed off alcohol they can't believe that I'm going wild right there with them with none!!! But yes it's gonna be real damn exciting to see how this goes.. I KNOW IT WILL WORK! If "The China Study" wasn't enough proof with the olympic lifter experiment, then the guy I just recently met, who just went vegan 6 months ago I think, is more than enough proof! He's 51 year old and been competing since he was 19. He went vegan and put on weight while LOSING fat and this was off the drugs! He's also helping me as far as a good solid bodybuilder meal plan goes.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I am so stoked! Can I make a training log?? If so, then I can make constant updates on the routines and eating and how my weight is going. So far still holding right at 190lbs but I've also spent this week on a deload so I haven't expected to gain yet. Tomorrow that changes!!!!! Going for the 200lb mark ASAP!

-Zac

Welcome aboard!

I don't think you're going to find it too difficult to gain plenty of size after going vegan - I've always figured that if I could get near 285 lbs. at one time, anyone can get some fantastic results with enough food and good, hard training. Looking forward to reading more, and get to posting a log soon, too!

And here's a recent relaxed one.. I won't be happy until I get another 20 - 30lbs with less BF. All a matter of consistency and time. Oh and for reference the brown shirt in the blurry pic above is a SMALL. The shirt in this pic here is a large... OH and another fun bit of news.. the shirt in the "rocker" pic is a YOUTH LARGE! haahahhahahahaaaaaa It's hard for people that meet me now to understand how SMALL I was. It's sad!

IMG00096-20100824-1932.jpg.b7c140d07ba32f3a5380e6374cc45f1e.jpg

Yep! I hit it hard man.. I didn't pick up a weight until I learned enough about the science of building muscle. I refused to be that guy that goes in the gym and just does stuff with no understanding of how this is going to make me hyooge. LOL and it's worked so far. I'm at the point now where it's not about getting stronger so much anymore, but how I work the muslce. I'm really just going for pure hypertrophy now. Working on weak areas.. I'll be starting a log soon and showing more progress.

Welcome, btw, (We've been chatting about supplements already but I didn't realize you were new here.) I'm actually pretty new myself, having only been vegan since May. I, too, was always afraid of...."where I'd get my protein" from. It's true, though, it's a much healthier lifestyle and you can most definitely build a strong lean physique....with muscles...while being vegan. You look awesome! Keep it up!

Thank you! I have actually been having some of the best workouts ever this week!!! I feel super motivated and have TONS of energy! I used to do chicken and rice about an hour before working out and I never realized until now how much that was slowing me down! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Protein is actually much easier now than before.. You wouldn't believe how "ugghhh" I felt throwing down another chicken breast! hahaha

I know...I used to do the 6-meal-a-day thing....chicken, brown rice/sweet potato, broccoli. I thought I would die if I ate another chicken breast. Now I eat a lot of legumes, still lots of brown rice but I have variation now. I love to make lentil soup, too. I make a lot of stir-fry type dishes with tofu now, too. You can always mix up the veggies and seasonings. Every night is a chance to make a new recipe. I love it. I feel healthier now than ever before. I was about 225 lbs at my heaviest weight, and currently I am around 132 lbs., 5'7" tall.

I am trying to really just tone up and add more definition. I have so much more energy for my workouts now and amazing motivation. I mostly run, do cardio machines at the gym, strength train, Kundalini and Vinyasa yoga, and crossfit/Krav Maga classes.

My concern now is that I may be doing too much running/cardio machines....I don't want to waste away any muscle that I could be adding...I don't know how much is too much. I'm doing about 30 minutes on M-W-F and about a full hour of cardio (either at the gym or running outside) on T-Th-Sat. Sundays are my rest day, or just take my dogs for a walk.

You should check out Robert Cheeke's book, Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness. It's awesome! I thought I "already knew everything I needed to know about health and fitness" but I am learning a lot by reading his book. It's keeping me inspired at the moment.

That is awesome! It's great to see such high motivation!!!! It's possible that you are overdoing the cardio just a bit. Maybe keep the 3 days you do an hour and lose the 3 days you only do a half hour. Just do that for a couple weeks and see how your body responds. That is a lot of cardio and it could very well dip in to muscle but ya never know till you mess around with different ideas.

Yep! I hit it hard man.. I didn't pick up a weight until I learned enough about the science of building muscle. I refused to be that guy that goes in the gym and just does stuff with no understanding of how this is going to make me hyooge. LOL and it's worked so far. I'm at the point now where it's not about getting stronger so much anymore, but how I work the muslce. I'm really just going for pure hypertrophy now. Working on weak areas.. I'll be starting a log soon and showing more progress.

Send me all your knowledge!!

MrSwolehouse,

I think you may be right. On M-W-F I am doing that 30 minutes of cardio AFTER I do my lifting at the gym. That's not so good, I know. I'm going to just dump the 30 mins like you suggested and see what happens. Once I actually do that 30 minutes after lifting, I am pretty beat anyway. I am a self-proclaimed cardio-junkie, I'll admit. I know that my body responds better to lots of cardio, but that actually years ago when I had a ton of weight to lose. Ever since then, I've felt chained to cardio for results. It's probably best I do cardio on a separate day altogether. I'm ordering the Met-RX CLA today and starting that next week, too.

Send me all your knowledge!!

Ask me anything buddy! When I start my log I'll go in to my reasons for lifting how I do. I bet I'm going to get a lot of people that say what I do shouldn't work I plan on starting it within a week or so. I'm still testing the waters on my current routine but already it's showing results so I believe it's going to do what I need it to! WOOOO!

MrSwolehouse,

I think you may be right. On M-W-F I am doing that 30 minutes of cardio AFTER I do my lifting at the gym. That's not so good, I know. I'm going to just dump the 30 mins like you suggested and see what happens. Once I actually do that 30 minutes after lifting, I am pretty beat anyway. I am a self-proclaimed cardio-junkie, I'll admit. I know that my body responds better to lots of cardio, but that actually years ago when I had a ton of weight to lose. Ever since then, I've felt chained to cardio for results. It's probably best I do cardio on a separate day altogether. I'm ordering the Met-RX CLA today and starting that next week, too.

Yep you hit it on the head. Your body can adapt to ANYTHING and that includes cardio which is why a lot of people now do HIIT instead of 30 minute or 1hour sessions on the treadmill. Burn more calories and spare more muscle. Either way take it one step at a time so you can see what's truly working. Dropping the MWF 30 minute sessions I think is a great start. Hit your recovery drink immediately after lifting and let it be. This should really allow your muscles to saturate the nutrients! Are you eating a good carb source after working out?