Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My goal is to compete next spring
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:56 pm 
Rabbit

Hi! I am new to the site and need some advice!
I have been training for a year now and have lost 10% body fat. I gained quite a bit of weight after I had my second child. I looked in the mirror last year and said that is it! I am 32, 5'9, 148 lbs, bust 36, waist 28 and hips 35 1/2.

I just started with a more natural diet. For the last year I have had nothing but chicken, egg whites, tuna, spinach and that is about it. I have been transitioning over the past week eating more fruits and veggies and I feel so much better already. I am having trouble with my macronutrients, I am consuming too many carbs and not enough protein now. Do I cut out the fruit? I started eating fruit again because for the past year I was basically told that fruit is bad bc of the sugar content. Mango is delicious!!!!

Hopefully in 9 weeks I can walk across the stage for my first bikini comp! I need to lean out and not exactly sure how to do it. I think I need to start lifting heavy because I cannot see my biceps/triceps or maybe it is still the layer of fat there?

Today I ate:
1. 1 tbsp vega shake n go smoothie, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, hemp and almond milk, coffee
2. 1 oz. almonds, diet dew(my fave, need to cut it out)
3. spinach with 1/2 cup edamame, 1 oz tofu, 2 tbsp salsa, 5 greek olives and 1/2 cup of mango
4. Brown Rice protein shake(absolutely disgusting) with hemp milk
5. Tuna(sorry, I am still working on it) :? , 1/2 cup quinoa with red peppers, olive oil and lemon juice, mango sauce

My total calories were 1371 and I can have up to 1776 on a cutting diet. I am over my carb limit and not enough protein.

Today was a rest day but I biked for 30 minutes, burned 190 calories and then 200 twists.

Last edited by Fitchick32 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Day 2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:50 pm 
Rabbit

When I look at those pics above, my stomach is so bloated! It must be the diet transition.

Today
Bicep curls. 15 lbs x 20, 20 lbs x10, 25 lbs x 8, 6 sets
I have never curled 25 lbs before! It must be the veggies!
Tricep kickbacks- same as above
Skull crushers-35 lbs x 15, 2 sets
Dips 100

My diet was way off today. I'm trying to figure out the right combination of food for me!
Hmmm, could try this tomorrow?
1. 1/4 cup oatmeal with blueberries and flaxseeds
2. Vega shake n go with hemp milk
3. Hummus on Ezekiel wrap, greens
4. Almonds and 3 oz sweet potato
5. Salad with tofu, olive oil, rice vinegar,broccoli

Post subject: Re: 9 weeks til my first bikini comp!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:56 pm 
Rabbit

holy crap girl you look so awesome! What are you worried about?!? I know you'll be awesome by your competition!

Post subject: Re: 9 weeks til my first bikini comp!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:06 pm 
Rabbit

Thank you!!! I hope I can be ready!

Post subject: day 3
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:16 pm 
Rabbit

I just got done with a crazy leg workout at 8 pm. I don't like working legs at night but it was my only option after the kiddos went to bed.

Workout
60 second intervals/15 second rest
1. Squats with 40 lb bar
2. Lunges with 2 15lbs
3. Jumping lunges
4. Plié jump squats
Rest for 2 min
1. Lunges
2. Squats no weight
3. Jump squats
4. Bridge with 40 lb bar
Rest 2 min
1. Deadlifts 40 lb
2. Kickbacks on floor
3. Side kicks
4. Bridge 40 lb
Rest 2 min
Abs
1. Crunches
2. Russian cherry pickers
3. Pilates abs
4. Sit ups

I felt like my head was going to explode after that so no cardio today
My diet is getting better and I am still working for the competition in Nov!!!

Post subject: Day4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:29 pm 
Rabbit

Things are starting to change! I am noticing more definition in my arms and shoulders. I went to whole foods today and bought some sunflower kernels, tahini, mixed greens and strawberries. I really need to stick with eating the same foods daily but I get bored......and then the boredom leads to cheating on my diet

Workout
Shoulders with kettle bell
Biked at 6:45 am for 20 min and again at 6:00 pm for 50 minutes. Burned about 500 calories

Post subject: Day 5
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:00 pm 
Rabbit

Breakfast was tasty except I did have yogurt..... I didn't want to but I feel like I am not getting enough protein.
1. 1/2 cup blueberries, carbmaster yogurt with green superfood
2. Brown rice protein, almond milk
3. Hummus with carrots, mixed greens, balsamic vinegar, spice muffin
4. Brown rice protein with water and green superfood
5. Veggie pizza with spelt bread crust

Workout
45 min on treadmill, sprint intervals
Biceps-45 lb bar x 20
Triceps-skull crushers 45lb x 15
Curls- 15 x 20
Kickbacks 15 x 20
Curls 10 x 15
Dips 80

Post subject: 8 weeks to go
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:22 pm 
Rabbit

I don't know if I can be ready in 8 weeks. The last few days I have not done well on my diet. I have a tendency to binge once in a while and it is probably due to the fact that I hated my traditional competition diet and was starving myself. I did however bike for an hour, burned 500 cal today but had 2 green smoothies, chips, m&ms and hummus. So much for my cardio!

Oh well, clean start tomorrow!

Post subject: Re: 9 weeks til my first bikini comp!(down to 8 weeks)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:50 pm 
Rabbit

I know you'll look and feel great in 8 weeks! I'm really excited for you. You should be really proud; it's so brave of you to do this! Do you feel like cutting down on competition food makes you more prone to binge? It would make sense to me. Those are the kind of things that make me nervous to compete!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:55 pm 
Rabbit

Thank you! That means a lot to hear that! Yeah, cutting back makes me binge once in a while plus it is really hard not to eat a bite of my 2 little ones snacks. Lol
The whole diet change has been amazing. I went the whole last year eating so much chicken, eggs and fish and now I feel amazing! I am not running out of energy any more. Green smoothies are a must now!

How is your training going? I am sure you will be ready before you know it!

Post subject: Low cal day
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:03 pm 
Rabbit

Today I decided to drink 2 green smoothies and felt fantastic!

1. Green smoothie, almond milk
2. Almonds
3. Lentil hummus(something I made), carrots, wrap
4. Green smoothie
5. Whole wheat bread with pb

My total cal were only 1069 today but I felt good

Light weights high reps on biceps and shoulders.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:01 pm 
Rabbit

My training is going good(ish?) I was initially training with my boyfriend who SWORE up and down he would get me in awesome shape, and we kicked each others butts in the gym for 2 or 3 weeks. After the third week, he started bailing on me at the gym, or he'd dictate the workouts we were doing but wouldn't include any cardio which I felt like was pretty necessary for me to get my legs a little slimmer. I wasn't feeling like I was getting my heart rate up during the workouts the way I'd like to. After last week where he basically cut the workouts short every day because he wasn't feeling good, I decided it wasn't good for my motivation to workout with a partner who wasn't as pumped to go to the gym as I was. SO a couple of days ago I started following the p90x program which is AWESOME! And obviously if I'm doing the workout dvds at home, the dvd player never gets unmotivated! I've been liking it, and I hope I can tone up the way I want to using it. I'm just 4 days in and so far I love it.

As far as nutrition goes I feel like I was struggling last week as well. Because I felt like I wasn't getting a great workout I was trying to cut down on calories (carbs and fat) a lot more, and now I realize that isn't key so early on in my training. It was just making me hungry and grumpy and...I'm not ready to deal with those feelings yet! I'm just focusing on eating a lot of whole foods and keeping up my workouts...I'm definitely considering getting a professional trainer in the area to help me with competition prep.

What are your green smoothies made of?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:25 am 
Rabbit

That sucks he bailed on you! I had a trainer for 80 sessions and it was worth it for me. I have heard p90x is good but I haven't tried it. I think high intensity training is the best!

Are you taking pics every two weeks? I think that is the best way to see changes. You can do it!

My smoothies are made of spinach, bananas, blueberries or mango, almond milk and sometimes peanut butter and brown rice protein. They are yummy!

Post subject: It is a miracle!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:28 am 
Rabbit

I got on the scale today and I am down to 143! 5 lbs lost since I became vegetarian!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:18 pm 
Rabbit

woohoo! that's so great I'm so proud of you! I'm loving p90x so far; it is really high intensity and HOPEFULLY I'll build some muscle on it; I'm lifting as heavy as I can (not very!) and pushing myself as much as I can. I'm taking more progress pics on my birthday (September 28th). I figured once a month would be good because I'd be in the same point in my hormonal cycle. Maybe I'll take some this weekend. I honestly don't see any changes, but maybe I'm just not noticing?
I'll tell you if I end up getting a trainer; I might stick with p90x for right now, and if I don't get great results I'll get a trainer! Your smoothies sound very similar to what I make. They're delicious!!