Two new 'anti-vegan' articles....

Fallen_Horse

From the 1st article:

"Pigs, in the meantime, have been forbidden in many parts of the rich world from doing what they do best: converting waste into meat".

Yeah right. Animals are there to live, that's what they do best. What do we do best? Killing, i guess...

They write from a strictly environmental and productivity level; they are completly deprived of any humane and ethical point of view: to use animals for food and to serve humans is unethical. Let animals live peacefully just like they let us live peacefully (but we are not peaceful anyway).

Edited by I'm Your Man

Gary Francione and the Vegan Society have already made responses to the first.

I'm guessing in a few days you will have your pick of a number of articles.

There's not enough land for everyone to have 'grass fed' beef. Trying to accomplish this would mean killing off predators in those areas where the cattle would be let loose. And local herbivores would be killed off so they couldn't compete for food.

I don't believe cattle can convert half of what they eat to meat. That means the other half must be adequate for the production of all the energy they need and all the parts of them that isn't meat.

It would be interesting to see what Francione and the Vegan Society have to say about the book.

I haven't read the second article yet.

• 2 months later...

Yea, Beforewisdom is one of the few people to understand this:

The reason people defend the obviously indefensible is because they are wrong or feel guilty. I've noticed, people do this at every level of healthy eating: defending their level by putting down the next level up:

Meat-eaters put down vegetarianism

vegetarians put down veganism

vegans put down raw-foodism

raw-foodists put down low-fat raw-foodists

The obvious argument to the first article is that even when cattle eat grass that humans couldn't, they are still drinking water that humans could, and there is no 'green' way around that....

You wouldn't know it from the marketing of the book, but Jonathon Safron Foer in his book "Eating Animals" gives a stunning refutation of the whole "better raised beef" argument. In a nutshell, the marginal lands that can ONLY grow grass/feed cows is very, very small, not enough to feed a significant amount of people. To eat Pollanesque beef these people would still need to use land that could feed more people by growing something other than food for cattle.

Yea, Beforewisdom is one of the few people to understand this:

The reason people defend the obviously indefensible is because they are wrong or feel guilty. I've noticed, people do this at every level of healthy eating: defending their level by putting down the next level up:

Meat-eaters put down vegetarianism

vegetarians put down veganism

vegans put down raw-foodism

raw-foodists put down low-fat raw-foodists

I agree with your first paragraph, though that wasn't the point I was making in my post.

I strongly disagree with your second paragraph. I don't think raw foodism is a step up from a vegan diet. I think much of what is written in books on raw foodism is not scientifically validated, contradicts basic biochemistry known for centuries and isn't necessary for the claimed health benefits.

If you are interested in raw foodism I would highly encourage you to read "Becoming Raw". The author is a "mostly" raw food eater. She is also a coauthor of the ADA Position Paper On Vegetarianism and is the author of many fact based on veg*n diets. Her book is probably the only one that will give you real reasons to be raw and it will tell you the facts about what you need to do to stay healthy.

No disrespect meant to you.