Jordan's Training Log!

I wouldn't add flys. I barely experienced "soreness" during my 5x5 squats/bench/press and 1x5 deads for the most part of a year, but fortunately it doesn't mean the muscles don't grow. I doubt your quads get totally burned out every workout, but you wouldn't add leg press. You could probably take any muscle and do the same.

Until bench gets heavy try this;

Dips, 3x10 negatives (AS SLOW AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. From full arm lockout, to just below parallel. Don't get lazy, don't drop before you get to the bottom). After this do 3xF normal pushups, then 1xF pushups on your knee to burn out. If you do wide pushups, your triceps will barely get touched. When bench gets heavy your triceps will be falling behind and your chest won't get a chance at a good workout. Is there a reason you're doing "bosu pushups" over standard?

Be patient, it won't be long before you're stalling on the main lifts, you'll effectively be maxing every workout. In the meantime you need to work on your technique, and nail the hard versions of bodyweight exercises.

Squats - the bar should NOT be resting on your spine. Experiment and find the spot, you don't need to do a set to know whether it's in the wrong place, keep racking and unracking till you find the spot. Note that your elbows should be UP. This forms your muscles into a "shelf" that the bar sits on and keeps it off your spine.

Reverse crunches - did you put something behind your legs to stop from cheating? I'd get another video up just to be sure. Hanging knee/leg raises would be good to switch to, but try getting a video up first.

I'm not an expert in stretching for flexibility but there's Dynamic stretches for hips, and one for groin as well on the stronglifts website.

Nuts/seeds are high in calories and protein, pumpkin seeds have a great amino profile. Beans/rice aren't raw but you can rack up calories on them.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chewy,

I'm doing elevated pushups on a bosu ball to make them harder. I was getting go over 20 a set with regular, so I changed. Also, my triceps are definetely getting worked, as I'm doing diamond pushups as well.

I will add the dips/pushups like you said next A workout. As always, thanks Chewy!

08/02/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout B:

Squats 5x5 @ 80LBS (bar + 17.5lbs on each side)

Overhead Press 5x5 @ 55lbs (bar + 5lbs on each side)

Deadlifts 2x5 @ 100lbs (bar + 25lb on each side)... messed up on reading how much I did last deadlift... so I did two sets of this lower weight, and really worked on technique.

Pullups 3xF 2/1/2 ... plus I did 5 negatives on each set.

Pronebridges 3xF ... did till failure, alternating which leg was up, and trying to focus on keeping a tight core. I found my arms giving out before my core really felt much of anything, so I did them as supersets with crunches.

I also did some inverted pushups (both normal stance, and diamond) when I got home to really burn.

Overall, it was a good workout. I managed to skip out of work early, and hit the gym when it was fairly dead. My knees were acting up on my squats again, but I got through them fairly. My technique for deadlifts and OP were A LOT better today. I was very happy with the deadlifts in particular (thanks to Chewy's tips!). Pullups were hard as usual, but I managed to get TWO in twice, so I was happy with that.

Until next time, I'll just keep eating and sleeping!

08/09/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout A:

Squats 5x5 @ 85LBS (bar + 20lbs on each side)

Bench Press 5x5 @ 65lbs (bar + 10lbs on each side)

Inverted Rows 3xF 18/13/14 ... with knees up, and chest within a few inches of the bar or touching the bar.

Dips.... couldn't even do one proper one, so did 5 negatives and moved to...

Elevated BOSO Ball pushups (feet on the BOSO ball) 3xF around 8-10 each set. Lost track.

Reverse Crunches 3xF ... I think my technique is better now, and I feel a little bit of a core workout, but still not as much as I'd like. I think I'm going to try incline reverse crunches, and hanging raises next time.

Workout was pretty good. Squats are starting to get hard. My knees started really hurting about two sets in, and the pain remained late into the evening. Does knee pain mean poor technique, or just weak knees? I'll try and get a video again soon.

Inverted rows were good... I must be getting stronger :0

In addition to all of this, I'm often doing squat stretches, and inverted pushups in my office.. ha.

Still not gaining any weight, even though I'm eating like never before. Hopefully it starts stacking soon.

08/11/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout B:

Squats 5x5 @ 90LBS (bar + 22.5lbs on each side)

Overhead Press 5x5 @ 60lbs (bar + 7.5lbs on each side)

Deadlifts 1x5 @.. didn't get to do them

Chinups 3xF 6 (7th failed)/4 (5th failed)/5

Pronebridges 3xF ... didn't get to do them.

Possibly the worst workout of my life. I woke up the night before at 2am vomitting, and didn't get much sleep (I must have gotten food poisioning from something). I wasn't able to eat much in the morning because of my extremely upset stomach, so by the time I was at the gym, I only had about 2 bananas in me, and I weighed 141lbs (normally I'm around 147-149). I felt very weak, but still managed to get through my squats, chinups and OP. But after that, I felt exhausted, and was unable to finish the workout. I went home, ate, and rested, and now feel a lot better. I'm going to make up for the missed deadlifts tomorrow. I wish I knew what got me sick, so I could forever avoid it... I only managed to get to about 1500-2000 calories yesterday, since half of the day was spent feeling ill.

Also, I'm still having trouble with my squat bar position. It always feels rough on my back/spine. When I watch others do it, they all have much larger back muscles than I, and the bar rests comfortably on them. For me, it's either pretty much on my spine, or it's jabbing into my shoulder blades. Is there something I can do here (like use some padding until the muscles develop), or should I just stick it out and hope the muscles develop and make it more comfortable as the weight increases?

Also, I think I'm getting close to my max on squats... already. Yesterday's (though I was admittedly weak) squats were very tough to get through. Hopefully tomorrow I can manage the extra weight.

don't get that attitude. You can keep going on squats. just get under the bar and make it go up and down. you got it! I know it's hard. We've all been there and have had those days. What going on in your head will have a big impact on what goes on in your legs.

and get psyched.

08/13/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout A:

Squats 5x5 @ 95LBS (bar + 25lbs on each side)

Bench Press 5x5 @ 70lbs (bar + 12.5lbs on each side)

Inverted Rows 3xF 20/17/20 ... with knees up, and chest within a few inches of the bar or touching the bar.

Dips.... got ONE proper one, and then did 5 negatives

Elevated BOSO Ball pushups (feet on the BOSO ball) 3xF 12/11/8

Reverse Crunches 3xF ... did these on the incline! 8/6/7 ... absolutely killer. I'm going to sub these in (with hanging raises) for abs.

Squats are getting killer. I took Chewy's advice and am now holding the bar lower on my back. It feels better on my back, but, it hurts my wrists quite a bit (because with the bar that far back they're really bent/arched). Is that normal? Is my positon likely off? I'll try and grab a video of it asap.

Still not gaining any weight... 4000 calories a day is proving quite difficult for me, and it will only get tougher with school starting up again in two weeks.

On a positive note: I'm going to be in Portland and Seattle in 12 days soaking up the beauty of the pacific northwest, and eating a TONNE of awesome vegan food. There's a raw vegan place in Seattle called Thrive that I'm looking forward to in particular.

Try experimenting with grip width on squats, when I switched from high bar to low bar I had to widen my grip 1.5-2" each side for it to feel comfy. But no matter what grip, make sure your back is carrying the weight and not your arms.

Keep up the hard work man.

08/16/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout B:

Squats 5x5 @ 100LBS (bar + 27.5lbs on each side)

Overhead Press @ 70lbs (bar + 12.5lbs on each side)

Pullups 3xF... 2/2/1 + 5 negatives on each set

Deadlifts 1x5 105lbs (bar + 30lbs on each side)

Incline Reverse Crunches 3xF ... about 8-10 each set. These are killer.

08/18/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout A:

Squats 5x5 @ 105LBS (bar + 30lbs on each side)

Bench Press 5x5 @ 75lbs (bar + 15lbs on each side)

Inverted Rows 3xF .. 11 (knees down)/ 8 (knees down) + 5 (knees up)/ 6 (knees down) + 6 (knees up)

Elevated pushups 3xF .. 15/11/6 (this was the end of the workout, so I was already pretty tired) ... plus I did 3xF inverted diamond pushups at work to get my triceps engaged. Got about 10-12/set.

Incline Reverse Crunches 3xF ... I supersetted these with incline crunches. So I would put a foam roller between my calves/thighs, and do incline reverse crunches with a "twitch" or "shrug" at the top until failure, then drop the roller, turn around, and hammer out normal crunches until failure. This was by far the most intense ab workout I've ever done!

Squats are getting heavy, but good. I think I may be better off now that I'm doing low bar squat. It hurts my back a little, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'll try and get a video when I can.

I'm STILL not gaining weight, even though my calorie intake is higher than ever. I'm not sure that I'm breaching 4000 everyday (I can't always count the things I'm eating), but I've got to be around 3000-3500.

Also, should I be doing a mixed grip with deadlifts? All of the guys at my gym that deadlift use it, and I'm wondering what the reasons are?

Lastly, I've noticed that there are two main muscle groups that seem to get neglected by the stronglifts: calves and forearms. Anything I can do about that?

Also, should I be doing a mixed grip with deadlifts? All of the guys at my gym that deadlift use it, and I'm wondering what the reasons are?

Lastly, I've noticed that there are two main muscle groups that seem to get neglected by the stronglifts: calves and forearms. Anything I can do about that?

Mixed grip is easier, but why switch early? You can build your grip strength more doing double overhand. When you start to fail deadlifts because grip, switch over. I still start with double overhand on work weight and switch over when it starts to give.

I would say forearms get worked a bit in inverted rows, but if it bothers you you can add calf raises and a forearm exercise, don't think it'd make much difference.

I've been slacking on updating lately... I'll try and be more attentive! I've just been busy with school, music, life, work, etc. etc. etc. STILL not gaining any weight. The max I've weighed in at (and this is an hour or two after eating a large lunch) is 149lbs. What the hell!!!! I really want to get up to the 160 range. Someday...

Also, I've noticed that since I've started eating more, I have 4/5 shits a day. Is my body assimilating anything, or is it just shitting everything out? Is this normal, or could it be a possible cause of why I'm not gaining?

08/20/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout B:

Squats 5x5 @ 110LBS (bar + 32.5lbs on each side)

Overhead Press 5x5 ... 3 @ 7.5kg/side, then 3 @ 6.25kg/side. Then did 5 @ 5kg/side, and then failed the last rep of the last set.

Chinups 3xF... 7/6/5 + 5 negatives on each set. LOVE doing chinups!

Deadlifts 1x5 115lbs (bar + 35lbs on each side)

Incline Reverse Crunches 3xF ... about 8-10 each set, and then super setted with incline crunches.

Ran into my first failure today. OP was just killer. It may have been because I was essentially supersetting them with my chinups, as I was in a bit of a rush to get out of the gym. Either way, my shoulders got a hell of a workout, which is the point afterall, right?

I think I figured out my squat form finally. Will post a video on Friday before I leave to Portland.

08/23/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout A:

Squats 5x5 @ 115LBS (bar + 35lbs on each side)

Bench Press 5x5 @ 85lbs (bar + 20lbs on each side)

Inverted Rows 3xF ... 10 + 8 / 7 + 5 / 7 + 7 ... first number is knees down, second is knees up.

Elevated pushups (feet 2.5 feet off of the ground) 3xF 12/12/10 .. last set was with a diamond stance to work the tris.

Reverse Crunches 3xF ... somehow forgot to do these. Will hit abs extra hard tomorrow

My sqauts are getting VERY close to max. The last few sets I had to grind through with a lot of stalls. I caught myself cheating with bad technique a few times, but quickly corrected it.

On a positive note, my knees no longer hurt when I squat. It's mainly my hip flexors and groin that get sore (because I'm now squatting REAL deep).

That's all for today. Wish me luck gaining weight (or send me weight gainer recipes)!

• 3 weeks later...

09/08/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout B:

Squats 5x5 @ 132LBS (bar + 17.5kg a side)

Overhead Press 3x5kg/side ... couldn't do five sets. I'll have to drop the weight I guess. My shoulders are WEAK!

Chinups 3xF... 7/7/7/ ... roughly. Lost count. I was also doing negatives after.

Deadlifts 1x5 132 (bar + 17.5kg/side)

Incline Reverse Crunches 3xF ... about 8-10 each set, and then super setted with incline crunches.

08/23/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout A:

Squats 5x5 @ 137.79LBS (62.5kg) (bar + 18.75kg on each side)

Bench Press 5x5 @ 110lbs (50kg) (bar + 12.5kg on each side)

Inverted Rows 3xF ... 6-7, 5, 3-4 ... these were quite tough. Haven't done them since before Portland.

Elevated pushups (feet 2.5 feet off of the ground) 3xF 12/12/10 .. last set was with a diamond stance to work the tris.These were supersetted with my bench press.

Reverse Crunches 3xF ... Did reverse crunches on an incline until failure, and then supersetted with incline situps. These were quite tough to get large numbers out of.

Overall, my strength was pretty similar these last two workouts as it was before my vacation. My brother and I managed to work out at the historic Loprinzi's gym in Portland while we were there, but that was only for a day. Other than that, I just tried to do pushups as often as I could, and did pullups and chinups off of random hanging objects! It was a lot of fun (especially hanging off of scaffolding in Seattle).

;

Until next time!

ps. Still not breaking 150lbs. What the hell is wrong with my body!?

09/12/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout A:

Squats 5x5 @ 63.7kg.

Bench Press 5x5 @ 52.1 kg.

Inverted Rows 3xF ... 6-7, 5, 5-6 ... I always forget how hard these are! I supersetted them with inverted pushups too, so that made them even harder.

Dips 3xF ... 5/7/5 ... I'm slowly getting stronger and better at these.

Reverse Crunches 3xF ... Did reverse crunches on an incline until failure, and then supersetted with incline situps. I don't usually keep track of reps, I just do them until I can't possibly do another.

Overall, a very demanding workout. I had to get my girlfriend to spot me on the bench press, and she had to help me with the 5th rep (and the 3rd-5th on the last set) most of the time. I guess I'll have to back this one of 10% next time? My weak little chest/shoulders just couldn't push that much weight!

Also, I have videos on my computer that I took with my iPhone at my last workout, but photobucket won't let me upload them (nor will youtube). Does anyone know how I could post them on here for review?

Also, I was 152lbs at the gym today! (mind you, I had shoes on, and had eaten an hour or two before.). But still, progress!!!!!!

- Jordan

Ah, okay. Thanks Chewy! It's been awhile since I read the stronglifts info.

I'm not sure. YouTube just says they're and invalid format or something. I'v never had a problem uploading them to photobucket before, so I'm not sure what the problem is this time. I'll try and reload them today.

Okay, I got the videos to upload finally. This was the day before I left for Portland, and the weight was something around 130-135lbs. My technique is still pretty similar to this, though I do try and keep my head up a bit more now, and with the higher weight, I really try and keep slow and steady, always pushing through my heels and ass. Feedback very welcomed!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/heshmonster/th_IMG_0638.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/heshmonster/th_IMG_0637.jpg

09/14/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout B:

Squats 5x5 @ 67.5kg ... depending on the day, this is my body weight (21.25kg/side)

Overhead Press 5x5 @ 30kg (5kg/side)

Pullups 3xF... 7/6/5 (roughly). These are still hard as hell.

Deadlifts 1x5 @ 67.5kg (bar + 21.25kg on each side)

Workout was good. The squats are really starting to kill, though I haven't met a failure yet. I came very close today, but I pushed through it. I suspect that my first full failure is right around the corner. I've been doing them at the beginning of my workouts (because they require the most energy), but the downside of this is that I'm often quite tired after squats, and have less energy for the rest of the workout. Suggestions? Should I bring some sort of "power" drink in with me?

Squats are looking good, kinda hard to tell how deep you're going from the camera angles.

What weight is the bar in squats and deads? 21.25 x2 = 42.5kg - is the bar 25kg?

If you can do 7 full pullups (from arm lockout, to head above the bar) then you're doing well man. It's a tough exercise to do, and a tough one to progress.

I think that's one of stronglifts flaws. Squats take a lot out of you. And when you approach failure, you're trying to push a 5x5 max every workout before you press/bench/deadlift etc. You can try a pre-workout meal, I find green tea + agave syrup + coconut oil to be quite effective. Or yeah, some sort of drink to take with you, I've never used any though. You kinda get used to it, but some days it's tough.

Keep at it, you're doing great! (btw on my log i posted what i eat in my typical day if it helps)

09/17/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout A:

Squats 5x5 @ 70kg

Bench Press 5x5 @52.5kg supersetted with incline pushups (3xF).

Inverted Rows 3xF, with knees down. Did roughly 6-8/set. I unfortunately lost count, and didn't write these down.

Dips 3xF, 6/5/5. Getting better at these, though there is often a sharp pain in my upper chest after doing a set. I think I'm just too weak.

Incline Reverse Crunches 3xF ... super-setted with incline situps.

Good workout. Can anyone recommend a better ab program? The reverse crunches didn't seem to be doing much, and now I;m doing them on an incline, super-setted with incline situps. This is much tougher, but I still feel like my abs aren't getting much stronger or defined. Any suggestions?

09/20/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout B:

Squats 5x5 @ 72.5kg (nearly failed the last set!)

Overhead Press 5x5 @30kg. Made it all the way through all sets/reps. Will move weight up next time.

Deadlifts 1x5: 70kg. These aren't too hard, so I'm thinking I'll move the weight up to keep even with squats until I start failing.

Chinups 3xF: 10/9/7-8ish.

Abs: Missed these today since I had to get to class. Will do some crunches and stuff later.

Overall, a good workout. My god are squats getting hard. It used to be that only the last set was really hard; not every set, and every rep is a challenge. Whew.

Weight: approx 150-152lbs. A little bit of gaining since I started (was around 145-147), but not really that much. I just can't seem to eat enough calories. The more I eat, and especially the more of it that's nuts, I the sicker I feel. I need to strike up a better balance!

Eating nuts themselves or mixed in with meals sucks. You can pack a lot of nuts/seeds into a smoothie flask with a milk of your choice. Can pack 800kcal+ into one of them, that's what I do for my morning smoothie with omega oils/berries/quarter apple. Saves a lot of time and effort.

Why not try cable crunches? That way you can add weight and they'll never stop being challenging. Never tried them myself but seem quite popular.

Btw, great progress on squats man. Keep up the hard work! Bench is looking good, deadlifts are getting there. Press you're ready to bump up the weight. Bodyweight stuff is looking good, nice work on dips. Everything's getting heavy you really need to sort the food out and guarantee you're adding bodyweight weekly to keep up.

Things are really picking up man should be happy! EAT!

09/22/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout A:

Squats 5x5 @ 75kg (so hard)

Bench Press 5x5 @52.5kg supersetted with incline pushups (3xF).

Inverted Rows 3xF, with knees down. Did roughly 6-8/set.

Dips 3xF, 6/5/5. Getting better at these, though there is often a sharp pain in my upper chest after doing a set. I think I'm just too weak.

Incline Reverse Crunches 3xF ... super-setted with incline situps.

09/24/10

------------------

StrongLifts Workout B:

Squats 5x5 @ 77.1kg (FAIL)

Overhead Press 5x5 @31.5kg.

Deadlifts 1x5: 72.5 (getting very tough)

Pullups: 3xF: 7/8/8

Abs: Same old!

Still not getting over 155lbs (heaviest has been 152lbs with shoes on and after eating, ha). Also switching to chalk use this week (I've been using gloves).

Also, I finally experienced my first failure on squats. Got to the 5th rep of the 1st set at 77.1kg and just couldn't push it up. I think I could do the weight fresh, but being the third day of the week that I was squatting, I was excessively sore. Will try again on Monday for round two!