My goal is to compete next spring

Hi! I am new to the site and need some advice!

I have been training for a year now and have lost 10% body fat. I gained quite a bit of weight after I had my second child. I looked in the mirror last year and said that is it! I am 32, 5'9, 148 lbs, bust 36, waist 28 and hips 35 1/2.

I just started with a more natural diet. For the last year I have had nothing but chicken, egg whites, tuna, spinach and that is about it. I have been transitioning over the past week eating more fruits and veggies and I feel so much better already. I am having trouble with my macronutrients, I am consuming too many carbs and not enough protein now. Do I cut out the fruit? I started eating fruit again because for the past year I was basically told that fruit is bad bc of the sugar content. Mango is delicious!!!!

Hopefully in 9 weeks I can walk across the stage for my first bikini comp! I need to lean out and not exactly sure how to do it. I think I need to start lifting heavy because I cannot see my biceps/triceps or maybe it is still the layer of fat there?

Today I ate:

1. 1 tbsp vega shake n go smoothie, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, hemp and almond milk, coffee

2. 1 oz. almonds, diet dew(my fave, need to cut it out)

3. spinach with 1/2 cup edamame, 1 oz tofu, 2 tbsp salsa, 5 greek olives and 1/2 cup of mango

4. Brown Rice protein shake(absolutely disgusting) with hemp milk

5. Tuna(sorry, I am still working on it) , 1/2 cup quinoa with red peppers, olive oil and lemon juice, mango sauce

My total calories were 1371 and I can have up to 1776 on a cutting diet. I am over my carb limit and not enough protein.

Today was a rest day but I biked for 30 minutes, burned 190 calories and then 200 twists.

Edited by Fitchick32

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I look at those pics above, my stomach is so bloated! It must be the diet transition.

Today

Bicep curls. 15 lbs x 20, 20 lbs x10, 25 lbs x 8, 6 sets

I have never curled 25 lbs before! It must be the veggies!

Tricep kickbacks- same as above

Skull crushers-35 lbs x 15, 2 sets

Dips 100

My diet was way off today. I'm trying to figure out the right combination of food for me!

Hmmm, could try this tomorrow?

1. 1/4 cup oatmeal with blueberries and flaxseeds

2. Vega shake n go with hemp milk

3. Hummus on Ezekiel wrap, greens

4. Almonds and 3 oz sweet potato

5. Salad with tofu, olive oil, rice vinegar,broccoli

I just got done with a crazy leg workout at 8 pm. I don't like working legs at night but it was my only option after the kiddos went to bed.

Workout

60 second intervals/15 second rest

1. Squats with 40 lb bar

2. Lunges with 2 15lbs

3. Jumping lunges

4. Plié jump squats

Rest for 2 min

1. Lunges

2. Squats no weight

3. Jump squats

4. Bridge with 40 lb bar

Rest 2 min

1. Deadlifts 40 lb

2. Kickbacks on floor

3. Side kicks

4. Bridge 40 lb

Rest 2 min

Abs

1. Crunches

2. Russian cherry pickers

3. Pilates abs

4. Sit ups

I felt like my head was going to explode after that so no cardio today

My diet is getting better and I am still working for the competition in Nov!!!

Things are starting to change! I am noticing more definition in my arms and shoulders. I went to whole foods today and bought some sunflower kernels, tahini, mixed greens and strawberries. I really need to stick with eating the same foods daily but I get bored......and then the boredom leads to cheating on my diet

Workout

Shoulders with kettle bell

Biked at 6:45 am for 20 min and again at 6:00 pm for 50 minutes. Burned about 500 calories

Breakfast was tasty except I did have yogurt..... I didn't want to but I feel like I am not getting enough protein.

1. 1/2 cup blueberries, carbmaster yogurt with green superfood

2. Brown rice protein, almond milk

3. Hummus with carrots, mixed greens, balsamic vinegar, spice muffin

4. Brown rice protein with water and green superfood

5. Veggie pizza with spelt bread crust

Workout

45 min on treadmill, sprint intervals

Biceps-45 lb bar x 20

Triceps-skull crushers 45lb x 15

Curls- 15 x 20

Kickbacks 15 x 20

Curls 10 x 15

Dips 80

I don't know if I can be ready in 8 weeks. The last few days I have not done well on my diet. I have a tendency to binge once in a while and it is probably due to the fact that I hated my traditional competition diet and was starving myself. I did however bike for an hour, burned 500 cal today but had 2 green smoothies, chips, m&ms and hummus. So much for my cardio!

Oh well, clean start tomorrow!

I know you'll look and feel great in 8 weeks! I'm really excited for you. You should be really proud; it's so brave of you to do this! Do you feel like cutting down on competition food makes you more prone to binge? It would make sense to me. Those are the kind of things that make me nervous to compete!

Thank you! That means a lot to hear that! Yeah, cutting back makes me binge once in a while plus it is really hard not to eat a bite of my 2 little ones snacks. Lol

The whole diet change has been amazing. I went the whole last year eating so much chicken, eggs and fish and now I feel amazing! I am not running out of energy any more. Green smoothies are a must now!

How is your training going? I am sure you will be ready before you know it!

Today I decided to drink 2 green smoothies and felt fantastic!

1. Green smoothie, almond milk

2. Almonds

3. Lentil hummus(something I made), carrots, wrap

4. Green smoothie

5. Whole wheat bread with pb

My total cal were only 1069 today but I felt good

Light weights high reps on biceps and shoulders.

My training is going good(ish?) I was initially training with my boyfriend who SWORE up and down he would get me in awesome shape, and we kicked each others butts in the gym for 2 or 3 weeks. After the third week, he started bailing on me at the gym, or he'd dictate the workouts we were doing but wouldn't include any cardio which I felt like was pretty necessary for me to get my legs a little slimmer. I wasn't feeling like I was getting my heart rate up during the workouts the way I'd like to. After last week where he basically cut the workouts short every day because he wasn't feeling good, I decided it wasn't good for my motivation to workout with a partner who wasn't as pumped to go to the gym as I was. SO a couple of days ago I started following the p90x program which is AWESOME! And obviously if I'm doing the workout dvds at home, the dvd player never gets unmotivated! I've been liking it, and I hope I can tone up the way I want to using it. I'm just 4 days in and so far I love it.

As far as nutrition goes I feel like I was struggling last week as well. Because I felt like I wasn't getting a great workout I was trying to cut down on calories (carbs and fat) a lot more, and now I realize that isn't key so early on in my training. It was just making me hungry and grumpy and...I'm not ready to deal with those feelings yet! I'm just focusing on eating a lot of whole foods and keeping up my workouts...I'm definitely considering getting a professional trainer in the area to help me with competition prep.

What are your green smoothies made of?

That sucks he bailed on you! I had a trainer for 80 sessions and it was worth it for me. I have heard p90x is good but I haven't tried it. I think high intensity training is the best!

Are you taking pics every two weeks? I think that is the best way to see changes. You can do it!

My smoothies are made of spinach, bananas, blueberries or mango, almond milk and sometimes peanut butter and brown rice protein. They are yummy!

woohoo! that's so great I'm so proud of you! I'm loving p90x so far; it is really high intensity and HOPEFULLY I'll build some muscle on it; I'm lifting as heavy as I can (not very!) and pushing myself as much as I can. I'm taking more progress pics on my birthday (September 28th). I figured once a month would be good because I'd be in the same point in my hormonal cycle. Maybe I'll take some this weekend. I honestly don't see any changes, but maybe I'm just not noticing?

I'll tell you if I end up getting a trainer; I might stick with p90x for right now, and if I don't get great results I'll get a trainer! Your smoothies sound very similar to what I make. They're delicious!!

Sounds like you're doing an awesome job getting ready for your comp. I also recently started cutting back what I eat, and am also at 143lbs. But I think you look a lot better than I do. Just remember that if you cheat on your diet that you can go right back to eating clean. One thing that helps me is that once a week I will treat myself to a vegan treat of some sort. But then I have to be good the rest of the week. That way I don't feel deprived.

Thanks Amanda! I have been doing 60 second intervals and 15 second rest on cardio. I got that from the Spartacus workout which rocks! You probably don't need a trainer bc you are slim as long as you can kick your own booty! I bet you have made changes. I never thought so until I looked at my pics. Oh, I heard pure insanity was great too!

Thank you hsorlando! Did you tell me your comp was next year? What do you typically eat?

Okay, so I started out great with my green smoothie which held me over till 11:00. I stopped at public and bought portobello mushrooms and ate them with artichoke hummus! Yum!! Then, the dreaded mini teddy grahams got me! I can't make changes eating processed junk.....I had a black bean wrap for dinner, edamame and a green smoothie after my workout. Total cal were 1250. I have a very hard time eating the exact same food every day at th same time. I just got burnt out on my old diet.. I had no idea how bad meat and poultry Is for your body until I started researching. This diet has changed my life!

cardio

Hiit 60 on 15 sec rest 30 min

Leg day tomorrow with heavy weight!

so I know this wasn't the main point of your posts fitchick32..but the fact that you mentioned that I'm slim is really sweet! I look at fitness models in magazines and think they're sooo far from where I am, and I wonder if I can ever get there! Hopefully I don't need a trainer BUT if I do I'll remember SOMEONE told me I looked good before I started in on all this madness :P

Also, it sounds like you're doing great with your food; everyone makes mini-slips every now and again! hsorlando is right, you can always start eating clean the next meal. Every moment we live is another chance to remake ourselves right?

You are slim! At least you don't have a ton of body fat to lose like I did or still do..... Those fitness models started like we did. You will get there! oxygen Mag is my favorite! You do so well on your diet. I wish I could.

I love the last line!

I am starving but I am not going to eat anything else!

My kids are sitting next to me on the sofa eating goldfish and watching Shrek! I will not eat those fish! I did not workout today because I spent pretty much all day cleaning.

Meals

1. Green smoothie

2. Hummus wrap, mixed greens and sunflower kernels

3. Almonds/cheerios

4. Pasta with marinara and honey( strange I know)

I will push hard for the next 4 days and sunday I have 2 week pics to take

I really need to start cutting the carbs out after lunch! My diet pretty much sucked today and it left me feeling terrible.....it's my own fault. The good news is, I can tell I have made changes in the last 2 weeks and my husband says so. I don't think my friends believe I can do this eating fruit! Whatever, I will show them because the fruit is helping me and I missed out on it so much this last year and looking at chicken in a bag makes me want to throw up. Yes, that is how I used to eat it.....on the go in a bag. gross

So I go to the natural market today and was asking the owner some questions and he is like well we don't advocate vegatarianism it's a good cleansing diet for 6 months....blah blah. I didn't ask his opinion did I? I told him I felt terrible eating so much chicken and beef that is why I switched and he said it was probably the quality of the meat. It is possible but I don't believe it. I think my body was way too acidic and if I would have kept on that route, I probably would have become very sick. He said that two of the big chicken factories use arsenic in their chicken? What?

1. Green smoothie with flax seeds, soaked almonds

2.small piece of cheese b.c my daughter gave it to me

3. Zaxby's salad without chicken, bread and fries(yeah, this is where I screwed up)and the darn mini teddy grahams(get them out of my house!)

4. hummus wrap with romaine and sunflower kernels(the crunch is awesome on those), 2 small pieces of veggie pizza

I think I carb overloaded today

I didn't calculate my calories today but even though I ate bad I don't think I went over 1776 which is my max.

Training

Plyometrics on legs

Biked

I think I should do all upper body one day and then lower alternating for 3 days and take one day off. That might work better for me.

My comp is in Nov but not 100% sure I will compete. Our daughter's bday is next month and then christmas is around the corner so it really depends on finances. I will not stop though! I love making changes.

Have you thought of including Tofu or Tempeh into your diet? Also, my boyfriend loves Seitan and it seriously tastes exactly like chicken. I think it's gross but it has like 22 grams of protein per serving. It would probably fill you up and make you crave those darn teddy grahams less! :P Also, have you tried chugging water when you get cravings? I know it sounds silly, and I only use this as a last resort, but if I get hungry late at night and I know I won't sleep well if I eat that close to bed I chug a bunch of water until my stomach is full and I don't feel hungry any more. It's a bit sloshy but better than eating something you'll be bummed about later!