Q on split-program

hey there everyone!

With my few dumbbells I can work out my biceps, triceps and chest pretty well at home.

So is it ok doing this stuff on one day, and back and shoulders the other (in the gym)?

It's just the thing that your muscle should get 48 hours of rest and shoulders automatically get stressed when you work out your arms and chest.

Help is greatly appreciated

to start off with it will be fine, though as you advance your muscles will work harder and you will need more rest. sounds weird i know! but it takes a while until your body learns to lift really efficiently.

what do you do for your legs?

jonathan

Thanks for your answer!

It's not like I'm all new to lifting weights. I'm more or less regularly working out in the weight room for 2 years or so now, but my focus is mainly on basketball.

I switch programmes (different reps and sets) every 4 months or so, but I never did a split with no days of rest.

During the season I don't try to put much pressure on my legs as they already feel tired from playing ball, but now in the off season I want to do a plyometric-workout.

you might be suprised just how much your jumping in basketball would improve if you added some squatting/olmpic lifting into your routine.

studies have actually shown that olympic lifters can jump vertically higher than anyone else.

i apolagise for assuming you were a newbie! i started off completely ignoring my legs in training, and it took months for them to catch up!

good luck with the routine

jonathan

studies have actually shown that olympic lifters can jump vertically higher than anyone else.

Man, I'd love to see that study in detail! It's not like I'm not believing it, but it would simply be interesting to see the results for basketball & volleyball players, 100m sprinters, long jumpers etc

That also means that you, standing 6'7'', can dunk pretty good, huh?

i apolagise for assuming you were a newbie!

To pose a question like this in the newbie forum, i don't deserve better! lol

Man, I'd love to see that study in detail! It's not like I'm not believing it, but it would simply be interesting to see the results for basketball & volleyball players, 100m sprinters, long jumpers etc

That also means that you, standing 6'7'', can dunk pretty good, huh?

It is true because of the explosive training they go through. Mark Henry (a 340+ man who was in the WWE and a powerlifter) can dunk pretty easily.

The reason why those lifting guys are in first place in that study is probably because EVERY powerlifter is working out heavily on his explosive (jumping) strenght. So as a result the average vert is pretty high.

on the other hand the average basketball player is a mix of Vince Carter and John Stockton.

i shall have to have a look for that study.

people always tell me that i should play basket ball but unfortunately it deosnt really interest me. im not sure whether or not i can dunk, but since squatting i can sprint much much faster and my vertical jump is improving even though i am gaining weight.

you cant beat squats

jonathan

Worked out good yesterday with my Jumpsoles and can feel it from my toes right up to the ass!

btw squats were also included...

As I'm already a pretty explosive player and can jump pretty high, I'm really wondering if I get some measurable results within the next 4 weeks. The higher you can jump the more difficult it is to gain more.