Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wadda Ya Know
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:05 pm 
Elephant

ICanDoThis wrote:
"Do your best and forget the rest."

I've had to edit my mantra to "Do your best and don't forget to rest." At least, that's what my left rotator cuff is chanting. OK, screaming.

Glad you're here and love your positive attitude. Give a shout out to my cousin in Saratoga Springs.

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 am 
Manatee

Baby Hercules wrote:
ICanDoThis wrote:
"Do your best and forget the rest."

I've had to edit my mantra to "Do your best and don't forget to rest." At least, that's what my left rotator cuff is chanting. OK, screaming.

Glad you're here and love your positive attitude. Give a shout out to my cousin in Saratoga Springs.

Baby Herc

I'm with you on that. Sometimes I try to cram more than 24 hours into one day and it catches up with me. Mother Nature always wins. Good luck with your recovery.

Post subject: Strength
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:08 pm 
Manatee

Since I've changed my workout I feel stronger. I think I'm more focused now than before. Best news is my legs seem stronger, especially my knees. For cardio I do a 3 mile sprint / jog. So I jog a block then sprint a block. Still do a low box squat since I can't do a one leg pistol. But my knees seem to be thicker and stronger so I'm happy. I should say that over the years my knees have taken a beating. Most recently from a snowboarding wipe out which also messed up my back.

My weight is up too. Muscle I hope. It should be if I'm stronger. Abs are almost showing. At least they do when I flex.

Motivation:
I still need to show people around me that muscle can be built on a vegan diet. "Where do you get your protein?" Well, let me show you!

Downfall:
Lack of sleep. Early long days and only 5 hours, sometimes 4. Not much time for recovery. The solution: quit my job and workout full time! Wishful thinking. I'll figure it out.

Guess that's it for now. The cast iron calls!

Post subject: Motivation = 11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:25 pm 
Manatee

Ok, it's been a while. So here's the latest. First, it's 12:23 AM and I should be in bed resting & recovering. But my motivation is high and I can't wait to get out of work and work out! Strength, endurance, etc. are up. I'm just working out as hard as I can. The desire to succeed keeps pushing me. Ok I really should cut this short and hit the hay. Tomorrow's another day.

Pump It Up!

Post subject: Like A Rolling Stone
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 pm 
Manatee

Momentum = Motivation = Success! Workouts have been going great. I'm in The Zone. Nothing is going to stop me. That's what The Pump does to you. It's that kick-ass feeling the next day. It gets you back to the gym after a long day at work when you just want to crash. So does seeing everyone on VBB pushing and succeeding. Also, being an example to friends and family. Working to show them than you can have an athletic body without meat.

Speaking of which, I spoke to an aunt about this being my first vegan Thanksgiving. This & that later, she said, "...you do need red meat once in a while. You do know that, don't you?" It was an email exchange so I didn't get into it. Even when I did eat meat I hardly ate red meat. Not at home and not at restaurants. I wanted to say that 90+ year old Jack LaLanne hasn't eaten meat in 80+ years. That guy can kick some serious ass.

So on to The Holidaze. Just keep doing what you're doing. When they're over, you won't have to make a healthy resolution because you will still be on the right track.

Do it now. Don't quit. Ever.

Post subject: Thanksgiving & Beyond
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:30 am 
Manatee

So my first vegan Thanksgiving came & went uneventfully. Didn't even notice or care about the turkey. We always have plenty of vegetables on the table so it was no big deal. I made spanakorizo (Greek spinach & rice) for the first time. Damn good :) Combined two recipes.

With the holiday season in full swing, the big thing is people eating too much and too much of the wrong things. Well, if you wouldn't eat it, or eat a ton of it the rest of the year, why do so now? Sure the cookies in the break room look good. But you don't have to have any. There's no rule that says you do. The question to ask is, "what do I want more, insert food here or six pack abs or big guns or whatever?" This happened to me today. Sure the goodies looked good but they won't help me get what I really want.

On we go. Happy Holidays!

Post subject: In The Zone!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:45 pm 
Manatee

Happy New Year! I'm back in the zone and it feels real good. Didn't stray off diet although Christmas Day was kind of like Thanksgiving. Feast day. Was the only vegan. Our host was a hardcore steak eater. I was a family affair and we like our veggies anyway.

Now I'm motivated to push hard for summer. A friend got me into Bodybuilding.com's transformation challenge. Here's my link if you want to check my profile out. http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/CastIronWarrior/more.php?section=progresspics. As you can see, I have a long way to go. Pictures don't lie. Right now, I'm at 5' 11" and 158 lbs. Bodyfat needs to come way down and muscle mass up. Sounds like everyone else's goals too.

Athletically, I've always been an endurance guy. Never the strongest or fastest. Just the guy who lasts. Speaking of which, it's late (23:47) and I need to hit the hay. Gotta recover properly.

Peace

Post subject: Game 1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:04 am 
Manatee

Week one, game won. 51 more to go this season. Right now I'm super motivated. I guess everyone is. New Year's resolutions. For me this isn't "The Year" everything will change. It's part of a everything I do. The motivation comes from The Challenge and that's good. If it started on March 9, I would be equally motivated and focused. It was just the spark that lit the fire. It will be a long season and there will be ups and downs. Games won. Games lost. Whatever happens tomorrow is another day to lace up and play.

So what else makes me go? It's the role model thing. Actions speak louder than words and all politics is local. While I can name vegan / vege athletes, the one thing that will have the most impact is me showing those around me that a strong athletic body can be achieved without meat. Also, I know the younger generation in my family looks up to me (I have yet to start my own if you are wondering - any vegan women in NYC?). I have a responsibility to show them it can be done.

Post Game Review 1: Killed my calves Sunday. No really. Then on Tuesday they were stiff as boards. Friday I was finally flexible enough in the legs to work them. Stretching only for the calves. There's no more bread in the house. Ate the last of the pita bread Sunday. Lunch was mostly lentil chili or multi bean soup. The menu said they were vegan. Watch out for sodium. Nutrition should be online. I like Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer at breakfast. I have chocolate and berry.

Looking forward: Muscles are back in the groove and ready to go. Sunday night I'll cook some meals for the week. Just keep going. Don't give up and don't quit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:44 pm 
Elephant

Hey buddy. Checking in to show some love. I'm loving the motivation on your blog. Pretty awesome 8) Thanks for joining us in the New Yrs progress pic thread. I'm with ya. As for NYC, my old stomping grounds (first 27yrs of my life out there) Lots of vegan meetups, etc. I was def more into the raw scene however you can easily find cool like minded people in the good ole melting pot. Have a great training session next one coming up ;)

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm 
Manatee

Lean and Green wrote:
Hey buddy. Checking in to show some love. I'm loving the motivation on your blog. Pretty awesome 8) Thanks for joining us in the New Yrs progress pic thread. I'm with ya. As for NYC, my old stomping grounds (first 27yrs of my life out there) Lots of vegan meetups, etc. I was def more into the raw scene however you can easily find cool like minded people in the good ole melting pot. Have a great training session next one coming up ;)

Thanks. I moved here from Boston. GO PATS! Just trying to hang in there and make a strong run for a "summer body" right now. I'm in Queens after living in the Bronx for 3 years. NYC definitely has a good vegan scene. I found a place on the Lower East Side, which I have to Google to find again, that makes vegan chocolate ice cream that beats the cream out of anything from a cow. Seriously it's the best I've ever had.

Good luck with your workouts!

Post subject: Game 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:42 am 
Manatee

Well that was a long week. Early mornings. Late nights. That’s the way it goes. Mostly stayed on course with my workouts except for Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday was the longest and hardest. The fall out was felt the rest of the week. But it was good for business so I can’t complain about that.

This happens to all of us. The demands of family, career and other things cut into fitness time. It’s hard balancing it all sometimes. I definitely think being vegan got me through the week. It’s happened before too. How? Exactly I don’t know. What I do know is that I’ve experienced more energy, clarity and calm since making the change. There are probably scientific studies that explain it. Just as all politics is local, all nutrition is personal. To put it bluntly, it’s all about me. How do I feel? How fit am I? When you eat, it’s all about you. Sure we dine together. Sunday dinners with the family are some of the best times. But what we eat is individual – all about ourselves.

Looking forward to the week: I think I’ll stay with my current routine for this week. It’s been good and I can feel the strength gains. I banged out 10 wide grip pull ups for the first time in a long time! I have a somewhat loose shoulder that sometimes makes them difficult. So I hope the fact that I can do them now at will means there’s been some muscle gain. The journey continues.

GO PATS!

Post subject: 1-2-3... Get Back Up!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:57 am 
Manatee

Week 3. Started great. Ended on a down note. An old injury reared its ugly head in a big way. Sharp pain from my hip all the way down to my toes. Up my back too. Caused some sleepless nights. So I haven’t worked out since Wednesday. Today is Sunday. Tomorrow it’s a trip to the chiropractor for an adjustment.

I suppose that’s the price you sometimes pay for an active life. You play sports or have other active pursuits you expose yourself to injury. The couch potato alternative is a body of jelly. Besides I don’t do sit still very well. I need to move, lift, walk, run, jump, whatever. I always have. Even if I’m chained to a desk I have to get up and walk around after some time.

Maybe the good thing that came out of this extended period of rest is the whole recovery thing. That is I’m hoping my muscles got some good recovery time in. I did eat well so that should help. Did have some wine with dinner at friends’ house Saturday. Overall though I’m staying away from alcohol during this training period. If you’re trying to get in shape it’s the worst thing you can drink.

Ok going forth: Monday chiropractor. He’ll put me back together! Then we’ll see how hard I can push it in the gym. I swear there’s no better high than a great workout, whatever it is, weights, running, hiking, mt. biking. With weights there’s the added benefit of the next day pump too! It’s the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hope you're back to feeling great again soon!

All the best,

Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:49 pm 
Manatee

robert wrote:
Hope you're back to feeling great again soon!

All the best,

Robert

Thanks.

Saw the chiropractor yesterday. Feel so good! I did do an upper body workout last night and my left shoulder was still a little weak. Pushed hard but made sure I didn't over do it which is why my shoulder has problems now. We live & learn. I expect to be back up to full speed by the end of the week.

Post subject: The Cycle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:10 pm 
Manatee

Well this was a long week. I got few workouts in but that was about it. Did some good cardio tonight. I needed it so bad. So I had three awesome workout weeks followed by one of almost none. It seems that's the cycle. Three on. One off. It's not an intentional off. Now I'm dog tired. Relaxed thanks to a good workout, but dog tired.

So I'm going to finish writing this then hit the hay for some badly needed Z's. Ok, it was one of those weeks. A combination of everything scraping me down like sandpaper on balsa wood. I do have to say this, and I've said it before as have other people: a vegan diet gives you more energy. I can only imagine how worn down I'd be if I didn't eat right. Greens & water were priority. Especially water to refresh the body and flush out toxins.

What's next? Lace up and play again tomorrow. It's a long season. Win some. Lose some. Win more. Get back on the horse and ride again. What else can you do? There are no undefeated teams in this year's Superbowl. They didn't get there by whining over loses, or fumbles, or penalties. You just get back up and play again and never quit.

The Pack is Back!
I hope I didn't just jinx them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next