Re-gaining control. It's on like Donkey Kong

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just wanted to let everyone know I'm still alive =D and still training. Just with the TA position and 3 grad classes and physical Therapy there isn't much time to log on and post everything.

I'm still working on the diet.

I found this picture and put it on my dresser for inspiration. not sure I want my arms to get this big, but her back is UNREAL!!!

http://fighterdiet.com/

Went to see my orthopedic doc yesterday and confirmed that I have a hip impingement. He wants me to get an MRI with contrast and a cortisone shot to see if I tore my labrum.

Fun stuff..

good thing is he said I can still do all of the leg stuff (as long as it doesn't hurt) which, unfortunately, means no leg presses or squats. I'm a bit frustrated with this since I need to build my legs the most.

my weight is holding steady at 140ish lbs and I've upped the weight on just about everything. I invested in some straps to lift even more, it I'm loving it!

This week I'm aiming for the most weight I can handle for 10 reps and 3 sets of each. I really wish I could find someone to train with, I'll need a spotter soon I think.

Also, I've added 30 mins of cardio to the end of my sessions

• 3 weeks later...

still kicking (well maybe not kicking per say...not with my old lady hip! lol). I'm still at it trying to bulk but haven't been motivated to eat the huge amounts that I should; school is stressing me out and I'm lucky if I make to the gym.

in other news, I had my hip arthogram today; pretty freaking painful!! good news is I should have some answers soon and can go from there. one step (squat) closer to being able to sqaut!! I can see my butt getting tighter and quads growing just thinking about it! yah!

• 2 weeks later...

well, I met with my ortho. today

good news: I didn't tear my labrum! =D

badish news: He still suggests surgery for the impingement. it's either modify my activities and do therapy and hope it helps or do the surgery. I'd rather do it while I'm young. Plus, I'm too young to modify my activities!!

scheduled my surgery for Jan. 7. i'll be on crutches for 6 weeks and am not supposed to put any weight on my foot. I'll have to see what he says about doing any type of upper body. oh well, it's a small set back but I'll rebound. so much for competing in June or so. maybe later in the year...

might be better anyhow since I'll be all stressed out finishing up my Masters by May...can you say bloated with cortisol!?!? lol

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the well wishes! Had to change the surgery by a week, oh well.

Out in beautiful Idaho visiting family, may try some CrossFit on Monday if we don't go hiking or travel to a surrounding state. It sure is nice here, very action orientated!

• 2 weeks later...

IT WAS AWESOME!!! my brother is in the Navy and has gotten all of his guys really into it so while I was visiting I PT'ed with them a few days. tire flippin', box jumps, burpees, air squats...that sort of thing.

I found a gym not far from here that actually houses a crossfit and the price includes all the gym has to offer ( a pool!!) and the crossfit. I'm thinking of going to take a tour. much more expensive than my gym now (but my gym doesn't have a pool or any classes or stuff), but I will most likely wait until my last grad semester is over and I'm fully recovered from my hip surgery to really get into it more since I'll still be paying my other gym, my loans, I'll need to get a job, stress, blah, blah, blah... most importantly time will be short as is.

My forearms, hands and quads were crazy sore the next 2days after the tire flipping and 'it pays to be a winner'!! felt great!

oh yea, I'm preparing for surgery next week. No vitamins and meds until after and was told to avoid fortified foods until then. do you know how hard it is to find stuff without vitamins added?!? lots of rice and beans and veggies for me right now (not that its a bad thing)

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm 2 days post-op and it hurts like all hell!! At moments it doesn't seem too bad and then I move, lol. They have be on vicodin for the pain and I'm trying not to take it too much (I'm not a fan of pain meds, they make me a bit nauseous and super sleepy!!!)

I didn't talk to the doc after the surgery but he spoke with my husband and mom and from what I gather I did have some tearing. I meet with him for my post op next week and will find out more then I'm sure; along with my PT orders.

Right now, I'm just trying to focus on eating, the nausea is not helping! Its a bit frustrating that I can barely lift my leg! Being as active as I am I feel for the people who aren't active, how the crap do they deal with this?!?!

I take to bandages of to change them today, maybe I'll post some gross pictures later...

Thanks everyone! I've been doing alright. A bit sore and using crutches is frustrating!!!! especially in the snow...

I was supposed to start my 8 week Physical therapy program this week but because of snow I have to start next week. I'll be in PT 3 times a week =( should be fun....

I was able to manage to get to the gym again on Monday and plan on going maybe M-W-F but at least Monday and Wednesday when I don't have any classes, maybe before I go to PT. As long as I don't put any weight on my right leg I can do whatever I want there, which is mostly machines for the time being since I can't carry weights and use the crutches at the same time. But other regulars at my gym offered to help me if I needed it. I had a lot of people starring at me on Monday when I was working out on crutches. maybe I lit the flame under some of their butts, lol.

side ramble- being on crutches I've had to use the elevator more and never realized how many lazy completely capable people wait to use the elevator when the staircase is right next to them...unbelievable!!

I had the post op and all went well, unfortunately my x-ray showed signs of impingement on the left side too which eventually could cause some of the same issue I've been having and explain by lack of flexibility in my hips and most likely my back pain. The doc said we'll wait to determine if I need to have surgery to correct the left side as well, if so hopefully it can wait awhile! I meet with him again sometime in March for another follow up.

I've decided that this year my main fitness goals are: stretch more (this is most likely my biggest downfall and is certainly not helping prevent injuries), increase my endurance, and of course grow.

and in life: just do and see all the things I've always wanted to do and see but for some reason just put off- even the little things. I guess live more in the moment. With school as my focus its been very easy to have tunnel vision and not relax as I should.

another side note: has anyone heard of or tried this bread?

http://julianbakery.com/low-carb-bread/manna-from-heaven/