200 m run

3 rounds:

3 body rows

5 pushups

7 air squats

9 sit-ups

200 m run

4:37

Halfway through the post-work-out stretching, I started getting light headed. I think I was dehydrated. Plus I didn't really eat appropriately beforehand. I only had 1 and 1/4 orange and a cup of soy yogurt for breakfast.

The coach asked me what I ate, and I told her. She said I was crashing, then she recommended 5 eggs. I said "No." She asked why, and I told her. She seems to think veganism was why I got dizzy. I tried to explain that I ate like crap because I just got my wisdom teeth out a few days ago and my normal breakfast of walnuts, almonds, cashews, filberts and raisins was too painful to eat right now.

I hope this doesn't become a point of contention, because I'm not interested in arguing about it.

Good news is the way she showed me to squat was way more comfortable than anything I'd tried before.

Food:

1 & 1/4 orange (would have been 2, but my dog knocked the plate on the floor.

cup of trader joe's peach soy yogurt

TJ's go raw trek mix

2 Field Roast italian sausages

package of Wholly Guacamole

2 gardein "chicken breasts" with jerk seasoning & pineapple

sweet potato

Edited by Rob PMFF

whoo hoo! I love it! cf day 1 done! nice work! Most cf people follow either zone or paleo. zone can be done vegan in fact im following it and log everything I eat. obviously paleo won't work. if you need any diet help let me know. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon. most cf trainers can improve squats i am thrilled this worked out for you! ill be looking back for your progress.

10/25/2010

Day 2 of Crossfit

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Medicine Ball Deadlifts 14lbs

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Kettle bell swings 20 lbs

3 burpees in each round, so... 3x10

Pretty tough. I really hope I didn't lose count and skip anything.

Not sure what my time was. After she said 5 minutes and 47 seconds had gone by, someone in the group wandered off, and she went to check on him. So no final time for this one.

My form got kinda sloppy towards the end. Lower back muscles too fatigued I guess. She kept saying to stick my ass out again, but it just wouldn't go

Food:

TJ's Go Raw Trek Mix (almonds, cashews, walnuts, filberts, raisins)

2 bananas

iced green tea from sbux

smoothie: 2 bananas, frozen blueberries, frozen rhubarb, 4 tbsp TJ's chocolate Hemp protein, olive oil, water

TJ's peach soy yogurt

an avocado

chocolate soy pudding

more trek mix

Compassion Over killing mock meatloaf

kale

macaroni & teese

grape juice

Edited by Rob PMFF

10/26/2010

Crossfit Day 3

4 x 20 second rounds of Hang cleans (just the bar and those wooden plates to make it sit up off the ground) with 20 seconds rest in between each

4 x 20 second rounds of jump rope w/ 20 seconds rest between each

4 x 20 second rounds of pull-ups w/ 20 seconds rest in between each

The other guy I was with did walking lunges instead of jump rope. My quads were so fucked from yesterday that she wanted me to jump rope instead.

For the pull-ups, I used an assistance band, which incidentally came off my foot and slapped me in the nads during one of the rounds

Pull-ups were frustrating as hell. Never been very good at these. I have long arms.

Food:

Almond butter with frozen blueberries and cinnamon

banana

TJ's Go Raw Trek Mix

Smoothie: 1 banana, frozen rhubarb, frozen blackberries, 3 tsps of Udo's 3-6-9 veg omega oils, a packet of soy protein powder (25g) i found in a basket (don't know how old it was), 2 tsps of TJ's chocolate hemp protein powder

Zinco coconut water

avocado

leftover "meat"loaf

an Amy's Mexican Tamale Pie

TJ's Pomegranate Green Tea

spaghetti with marinara & field roast italian sausages

kale

Edited by Rob PMFF

I don't think "fun" is really the word I'd use

10/29/2010

Crossfit Day 4

Run 400 meters

15 sandbag get ups

15 rope get ups

15 hang power snatch (35 lb bar and the wood discs)

30 walking lunges

15 box jumps

Run 400 meters

10 sandbag get ups

10 rope get ups

10 hang power snatch

20 walking lunges

10 box jumps

Time - 20:15

Fuck I hate running.

Music that doesn't suck balls really does have a positive impact on performance. So glad they play real music instead of the Top 40 bullshit they play at other gyms. Pantera can help you bang out a lot more reps than Hannah Montana.

She said she could tell I had a lot more energy today. I gave props to the pumpkin seeds.

Breakfast:

1 banana

1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds

After crossfit, before leaving:

approx 3/4 cup of TJ's Go Raw Trek Mix

Lunch:

Smoothie - 2 bananas, 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds, 4 tbsps TJ's chocolate Hemp protein powder, 1 tbsp Udo's veg 3-6-9 omegas, 1/4 avocado, 2 and 1/4 cups of blueberries, water. (Put way too much blueberries and water in it...I was on the phone and not paying attention. Tastes fine though, so whatever.)

burrito - TJ's soy chorizo, saffron rice, black beans, green onion, diced tomatoes, daiya cheddar

vegetable chips with spinach & pecan dip

sweet potato baby food

gingerade kombucha

Edited by Rob PMFF

11/01/2010

Crossfit Day 5

"The Filthy 15" (as opposed to the filthy 50)

15 box jumps

15 jumping pull-ups

15 walking lunges

15 kettle bell swings (20 lbs)

15 knees to elbows (not quite ) on pull-up bar

15 push press (45 lb bar)

15 hip extensions

15 wall balls (14 lb ball)

45 single under jump rope

15 burpees

10 minutes, 7 seconds

(I think that's in the right order )

Came down hard on one of the burpees, and my palm hurts like a mutha.

Food:

2 bananas

1/2 cup pumpkin seeds

smoothie: 2 bananas, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup soymilk, frozen rhubarb, frozen blackberries, spinach, 1 tbsp Udo's 3-6-9 omegas, water

10 gardein hot wings

sweet potato fries

1 avocado

TJ's pomegranate green tea

3 Field roast apple & sage sausages

mixed potatoes, green beans and mushrooms, from TJ's

glass of wine

Edited by Rob PMFF

11/09/2010

http://www.crossfit-hr.com

Deadlift

95 x 5

105 x 5

115 x 3

125 x 3

135 x 1

145 x 1

145 x 1

145 x 1

Meh...

They wanted to establish mine and another co-worker's 1RM or at least close to it. We didn't plan very well and didn't add enough weight between sets. So towards the end, he said just do 145 a few more times and get a good feel of the proper form. Next time these numbers will be better.

Food:

2 bananas

primal strip (lime mesquite seitan)

sbux ice green tea

approx 1/2 cup TJ's Go Raw Trail mix

quinoa, tempeh, brussel sprouts, red peppers, onions, caraway, bragg's liquid aminos

some roasted pumpkin seeds and dried blueberries (i didn't feel like shelling the seeds, i hope its ok to eat the shell)

guava raw kombucha (synergy)

some lentil soup that me ma made me for when my wife was out of town over the weekend

dark chocolate covered espresso beans

apple & sage field roast sausages, squash, zucchini, mushrooms & garlic

red wine

Edited by Rob PMFF

11/11/2010

http://www.crossfit-hr.com

warm up

2 rounds of:

5 empty bar good mornings

10 jumping squats

15 hip extensions

wod

power clean

65 x 3

85 x 3

95 x 3

115 fail

105 fail

95 x 3

I just couldn't get the form right on the 115 and 105, my right shoulder felt really weird, like i was using my arms too much and not getting under the bar like I was supposed to.

AMRAP (I forgot to count the reps on these )

2 minutes single unders (because I can't do double unders yet)

2 minutes 35 lb kettelbell swings

2 minutes box jumps (24 " box)

Food:

banana

handful of sunflower seeds

handful of dried blueberries

thai peanut seitan primal strip

smoothie: 2 bananas, 1/3 cup Ultimate Meal powder, approx 1/2 bag frozen blueberries, 1 tbsp Udo's 3-6-9 omegas, water

bowl of quinoa, tempeh, brussel sprouts, red peppers, onions, caraway, bragg's liquid aminos

a plum

shiitake mushroom primal strip

dark chocloate covered espresso beans

TJ's mango lemonade

handful of TJ's go raw trek mix

hastily inspired smoothie: leftover mixed field greens, 1 avocado, 2 plums, 1/3 cup Ultimate Meal powder (Not very good as far as smoothies go)

gingerade raw kombucha

chili: gardein beef substitute, corn, kidney beans, tofutti sour cream, chives, tomato sauce & 2 alarm chili kit

Edited by Rob PMFF

I like it, but I don't think I'm doing that well. I know I'm just starting, and this is an entirely different way than I've ever trained before. I'm so paranoid about lifting injuries, based on my history, I think I psyche myself out with trying to get this perfect form going on, and the actual lift suffers in proficiency as a result. I know there's a learning stage and whatnot, but I've always had way more heart than common sense, so it's frustrating not being able to "get it done".

hang in there rob! Im sure your doing fine. Getting the right form is so important that it is important to take the time and learn the skill. Eventually it will pay off when your throwing crazy heavy weights around and not getting injured from it. It will take you less time to learn good form than recover from an injury.Ask the trainers any questions you have and they will help you out a ton. better form will mean more weight in the end. You can't cheat the system.

11/16/2010

Crossfit WOD - "The Chief"

3 minutes - 4 rounds of

3 Power cleans (95 lbs)

6 push ups

9 air squats

1 minute rest

3 minutes - 4 rounds of

3 Power cleans (95 lbs)

6 push ups

9 air squats

1 minute rest

3 minutes - 2 rounds of

3 Power cleans (95 lbs)

6 push ups

9 air squats

1 minute rest

3 minutes - 0 rounds (he told me to sit out the 4th round and go hard the 5th, since I got really light headed...must not have eaten enough this AM)

1 minute rest

3 minutes - 4 rounds of

3 Power cleans (95 lbs)

6 push ups

9 air squats

So...14 rounds total in this AMRAP wod

I really didn't want to sit out that 4th round, but I really thought I was gonna fall over. I don't like for remorse and regret to be part of my workout. That's not me. Sucks.

This wod kicked my ass.

Food:

breakfast (clearly not enough)

2 bananas

1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds

------

koka moka pro bar

smoothie: 2 bananas, 1 avocado, 1/3 cup Ultimate Meal powder, 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, 1 cup frozen wild blueberries, 2 tsps Udo's 3-6-9 omegas, 2 cups apple juice (probably not the best ingredient, but whatever)

apple & sage field roast sausage

collard greens, mushrooms & garlic

spaghetti with no noodles: field roast italian sausage, mushrooms, marinara (tomatoes, basil, garlic), squash, zucchini

11/22/2010

Body weight: 194 lbs

Crossfit

400 meter run

50 double unders (attempts)

12 sets: row 15 seconds, max effort, damper set on 4, rest 2 min between sets

score: 73 cal on damper 4

Food:

TJ's go raw trail mix

2 bananas

seitan primal strip

smoothie: 2 bananas, 1 avocado, spinach, 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, 1/3 cup Ultimate Meal powder, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 2 cups water

2 cups/240 g bear naked pecan apple flax trail mix

field roast italian sausage, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, marinara

chocolate sorbet

Edited by Rob PMFF

Yeah it was okay. It didn't seem particularly difficult, especially compared to some of the other ones I've done. The rowing didn't really fatigue me much. Maybe I didn't push myself as hard as I could have, but it really didn't seem like I could go any faster than I was.