Jason is back in fucking business.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. Thanks. Not feeling quite immortal yet. I'll get there. Long ways off a 650lb deadlift. Gym change coming soon. Joining the bodybuilder/strongman/powerlifter gym. That should help.

Besides, you're no slouch yourself. Keep it up! And stay healthy!

Lol. Had my panties in a bunch this morning. Got them worked out. Another 2 hour gym day today (as they've often been all week, save for yesterdays shitshow!) just wrecking random shit and having a TON of fun!

Clean & Jerk (putting the pieces together)

135 x 5

145 x 3

150 x 2

160 x 1

170 x 1

175 x 1

180 x 0

Then I wanted to work on legit clean form with light weight (and took a video. I gotta figure out how to upload it now!)

so I hit 135 x 10, 8, 6 focusing on a real front squat and dip under instead of just muscling out a power clean

Dumbell Lat Raises (like I said, fun day. pretty much just fucking around with my exercise selection. you'll see)

25lbs x 10 x 3

Dumbell Flat Bench Press

40 x 10

50 x 9

60 x 3

70 x 1

55 x 10, 6

One 8 rep set of dumbell flyes with 25lbs. Those hurt my shoulder pretty bad. Won't be doing those again. Not that I've ever done them before...

A set of 10 per side dumbell tri kickbacks (because I hate that they exist and my co-worker does them. I did them to mock him.) at 30lbs

tri rope pushdowns

65lbs x 10, 5, 7

parallel grip lat pulldown

135 x 10

145 x 10

150 x 6

skullcrushers

60 x 11, 8, 8

upright row

80lbs x 10 x 5 (lovin' this exercise)

Dumbell row

75 x 10 x 3 per side

some silly oblique twist/tri extension that kinda simulatied either chopping wood or dragging something...

65 x 10 x 2

barbell curl

80 x 8, 6

70 x 8, 8

60 x 12

that's all. lol. it was fun. I felt pretty vain today with all the isolation nonsense.

any form tips on cleans or power clean/jerks? I'm all ears. First video taken/uploaded! yay! The perks of going to the same gym as a teammate and his wife. I asked her nicely to do me that favor before she left. So, here it is.

If say, chewy, or VE, or Mary (or anyone else, obvs) have any form tips, I'd love to hear them. This was after what I have listed above, so I was a bit winded, but 135 has never given me any trouble. Maybe I should have taped the 175 so you could see the form breakdown...

i guess I can toss in a picture too...why not?! what's what's going on under the shirt... lol. probably look more defined if i weren't pasty white! whatevs.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nlwjTxdWyjY/TN8jI1tkrPI/AAAAAAAAAIw/RDEn01VwGJg/s1600/boobs%2B229.jpg

yeah! videos! I have to start doing them again. saw your writeup above. it is hard to not switch to power cleans when were getting tired. good news is your keeping the bar traveling in a straight line. It looks like your pulling the clean right off the floor. I slowly deadlift it to clear my knees (think of the hang position) and then clean it. looks like your pushed your elbows through good on the clean. it is important to keep them high. You can take a second and reset your grip for the jerk if you need to. I noticed you were doing split jerks. Those are the kind I like to. You didn't get very deep with the jerk I know you were doing light weight but you really want to pull yourself under the bar for the jerk. not sure if was the angle of the camera but it doesnt look like your were turning your front foot slightly inward on the jerk. That is the way I was taught to do it. Will be more secure at a higher weight. I do appreciate that you finished your jerk properly and safely with your step in! It takes a long time to get great form on this stuff. Im still working on it myself. But overall it looks good and it is great training protocol. As you mentioned as you get tired the form breaks down. just keep that in mind when going heavy. no time for injuries!

you're right. I never thought to angle the front foot in! That's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks! and you're right. I didn't jerk low because I didn't need to in order to get under it.

and the reason I pull it from the floor is because when I try to only pull it to my knees it completely wrecks my rhythm. I'm not good at hang cleans, apparently. Although, it may not look like, but the initial pull of the floor isn't at the same velocity as the clean. I could probably stand to push my elbows through more.

THANKS Mary! I'm really enjoying these, so I'll continue to do them. I really want to hit 225 on the clean/jerk.

I have the same habit of you do of only going low when the weight is heavy and I need to but it is still good the practice the form even on the lighter weights if you can. It is harder to go from the hang at first because you don't have any momentum on the bar. If you practice form the hang at lower weights you will get it. like i said before these are little things to perfect the form. overall looks good and will get better the more you do them.

This is interesting. Someone told me that you weren't supposed to squat that low when doing power cleans, it's more like a row and then bending your knees slightly just so you can get under the bar. But I've seen videos of people doing them multiple ways, and got confused, so I quit doing them for now until I get some kind of formal instruction.

adena! sorry I never replied to you! i didn't see it until now. anyhow, that didn't take too long. it was the TON of power cleans I did the other day that took almost an hour.

Those took maybe 40 minutes? I got all kinds of time now that rugby is over for the season. Time to get jacked! lol. But yeah, I aim for 2 hours in the gym 6 days a week.

It works for Kaz, Pudz, Klokov, Stoitsov, Xugang, Ray Lewis, Derek Poundstone, et al. Why not, eh?

also, i often don't worry about form too much. Generally, I'm of the opinion to just throw it in the direction it needs to go and/or just try to throw things through the ceiling. which is why I wasn't squatting very low on my power cleans before. Just trying to get them "right". I want to keep doing more of these lifts. I enjoy them more than the powerlifter 3 (save for deads, cause those rule!)

I gotta find someone to teach me snatches. those scare me. I do them with 75lb dumbells (one handed) no problems, but something about bar screws me up!

adena - if im understanding you correctly your asking the different between and regular clean (squat clean) and a power clean. Power is a term in oly lifting regarding what position you receive the bar in, So in a power clean your receiving the bar in an above parallel squat. Some people will call it the upright or standing position. But a regular squat clean you receive in the bar in a full squat below parallel. The video you saw probably have people doing both types of cleans. In jason video above the first come cleans are full squat cleans and then he moves to a power clean and then adds a jerk. Hope this helps. Cleans are great work!

At jason - if you can do them with dumbbells you can do them with a barbell. Make sure you grip is wide and use a light maybe even unloaded bar to learn the form. They are tough don't get me wrong because it is such a fast lift. your elbows have to e high and outside on the pull and you have to get yourself under it fast under your doing a power or muscle snatch.

wow. my lower back is completely wrecked. awesome. (not hurt, just super sore and telling me to shove off. so I will)

Started with Deads. I figured my new Abe Lincoln chin curtain would add about another 10lbs to my deadlift, but I didn't get the chance to find out too well...

135 x 10

225 x 5

275 x 3

315 x 1

335 x 1 (went up easy, but my back was toast. still is.)

355 x fail x 2 (hell, figured it was worth a shot. couldn't even get it off the ground. no confidence at all)

335 x fail (same story as above)

I'll give deads a week before revisiting them. I say that now. I give it until friday, at the longest...

Overhead squats (getting a feel for form and where I should have the weight centered. Not as hard as I thought they'd be)

95 x 6

100 x 6

105 x 6

110 x 6

115 x 6

120 x 6

125 x 6

130 x 3.

Dumbell Bench

60lbs x 6 for 5 sets.

upright row.

90lbs x 10 for 5 sets

side raises (i WAY prefer overhead pressing to lat raises...stupid back...)

27.5 x 10, 8, 8

alternating dumbell hammer curls

30lbs x 10/side for 3 sets

skull crushers

60lbs x 10, 10 10, 9, 10

dumbell shrugs

75 (heaviest in the gym...) x 3 sets of 40 reps. (stupid back again. I'd rather use the heavy barbell. )

Then I walked on the treadmill at 5mph at a 15% incline for 5 minutes while the football game started.

Now I'm icing my back about to watch Predator. The original one.

HEY! thanks, doc!

At it again today. two and a half hours today! working up to the 3hr sessions that got Pudz where he's at (you know, except for the roid's, but whatever!)

bench (no spotter, my upper body buddy flaked)

95 x 8

135 x 6

145 x 6

155 x 5

165 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2 (would have had 3 on those last two sets, but no spotter made me not want to risk getting pinned like Ric Flair)

Overhead press

105 x 6, 6

115 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

tri pullovers

75 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

wide grip lat pulldown (back too sore for barbell rows...)

135 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

dumbell shrugs

75lbs each hand again, sets of 40, 40, 40, 40, 50 (these are a damn joke.)

seated incline curls

20lbs in each hand, but, it wasn't a dumbell. it was 2 10lb plates pinched together in each hand. work that grip! (a lot. these are brutal!)

sets of 7, 15, 12, 13, 12

Hanging leg raise (more grip...)

15lb dumbell between feet. 3 sets of 10

hanging oblique cruches

15lb dumbell between feet. 3 sets of 5 per side

decline crunches

25lb dumbell beneath chin for 3 sets of 10.

then i spent 20 minutes working on snatch form with an empty bar, then 65lbs then 95lbs. I got this. oly lifts are great!

Was in the gym forever today, and didn't really do a lot, but I had fun! and i figured out the fastest way to that "i'm gonna throw up" nauseous feeling...

long warm up with shoulder presses/snatches/cleans/front squats with just the bar.

Clean/front squat. Clean each set once, front squat it for said # of reps.

135 x 5

140 x 5

ACK! my log is disappeared on my phone!!! what gives!?!? OH NO!

anyhow, from memory,

145 x 5

150 x 3

155 x 3

160 x 1

165 x 1

170 x 1

175 x 1

180 x 1

185 x 1 (pr tie)

190 x BIG OLE FAIL!

190 x 1 (5lb pr, but had to drop to a knee, but kept weight up and recovered it. Does that count?)

Just in case that doesn't count, I hit a SUPER clean (as is textbook. no pun intended)...

195 x 1 (10lb pr)

200 x fail

1 legged squats. pistol style.

10lbs x 4 per leg

20lbs x 3 per leg

30lbs x 2 per leg

40lbs x 1 per leg

50lbs x 1 per leg

55lbs x 1 per leg

60lbs x 1 per leg

up to this point, all super clean, keeping the unused leg out in front, but that's about the end of that)

65lbs x 0 per leg

65lbs x 1 per leg

70lbs x 1 per leg (fucking amped at this point. gonna max out the dumbells on this, too!

75 x 1 per leg (pretty clean. though, boy I should document this... SO i did, and hit another

75 x 1 per leg (pretty ugly, BUT, up and down on one leg, the unused one never touches, so I'm counting it. Video to be posted as soon as it's uploaded.

YAY!

Neck curls (this is the "I'm gonna puke" exercise..)

one set of 20 each to the front, to the back, to the side, to the side. 20lb dumbell on head/face. good times.

then i left.