Veganism is a consumer activity

jcdenton

But... we live in a capitalist society. Also, there are vegan communes where people grow their own food and limit their participation in capitalism. Ultimately though, I think trying to remove yourself from society is a mistake. I'm not an anarchist, but more progress can be made toward the goals of anarchists and vegans from within the system than by daydreaming that anything short of the sudden and complete overthrow of capitalism is ineffectual.

Skimmed it, saw a bunch of bullshit that made me shake my head, and eventually gave up on caring about anything they had to say.

This one got me well enough:

"I personally was vegetarian for eight years, and came much closer to veganism in the last part before suddenly becoming an omnivore again in response to racist exclusions I witnessed from some white vegans."

Yes, because he apparently felt that some white vegans were racially excluding others, it means that veganism is inherently flawed and that omnivorous dietary habits are the only rational solution And, this must be because omnivores are incapable of racism, hence his compulsion to rejoin them once again Credibility shot down right there through terribly flawed logic.

Seriously, there are no shortage of stupid notions spread through that article. Enough to warrant not finishing it, at least in my case. But, then again, I don't think that anarchy is a viable way to live, so I guess I'm just another tainted individual who will never truly understand the absurdities he speaks of

The thing that always gets me is, I'd honestly rather hear people simply say something like "I just couldn't handle veganism well, so I went back to eating meat" than someone who wants to create a wacky dissertation on a dozen different reasons that they try to find fault in the lifestyle. Seriously, I can do without all the mumbo-jumbo of capitalism this, restoring farmland through cattle ranching that, and would rather just have the guy come out and say he couldn't hack the lifestyle. I know some people feel a need to justify every decision they make and are compelled to try and rationalize it to others through mental masturbatory writings like this, but it's just more rubbish. Do it or don't, that's everyone's choice, but don't try to give me a snow job of reasons why veganism is impractical, can't change the world, etc.

"I personally was vegetarian for eight years, and came much closer to veganism in the last part before suddenly becoming an omnivore again in response to racist exclusions I witnessed from some white vegans."

Yes, because he apparently felt that some white vegans were racially excluding others, it means that veganism is inherently flawed and that omnivorous dietary habits are the only rational solution And, this must be because omnivores are incapable of racism, hence his compulsion to rejoin them once again Credibility shot down right there through terribly flawed logic.

Seriously. Despite frequenting this forum, my being vegan has absolutely nothing to do with how other vegans behave. I could care less, it's not about them.

People misunderstand veganism just like they misunderstand capitalism. Veganism is about not consuming animal products because we consider it ethically wrong to do so, environmental factors and such are only supplementary. There's also no reason to "destroy capitalism". Capitalism isn't a moral policy, it's an economic policy that motivates efficiency through the accumulation and trading of capital. It does not describe what's right or wrong any more than, say, evolutionary theory does...

People misunderstand veganism just like they misunderstand capitalism. Veganism is about not consuming animal products because we consider it ethically wrong to do so, environmental factors and such are only supplementary. There's also no reason to "destroy capitalism". Capitalism isn't a moral policy, it's an economic policy that motivates efficiency through the accumulation and trading of capital. It does not describe what's right or wrong any more than, say, evolutionary theory does...

Chris, the anarchists will be burning you in effigy for saying such crazy things! I mean, saying that capitalism isn't the root of all evil...how dare you!

Sorry, jcdenton, but I thought ther article was pretty dumb on a lot of points. I don't want to come off as if I dismissed it immediately - it took a few paragraphs to really see the flawed arguments, and at that point, there wasn't much reason to carry on. Like I said, some people feel compelled to rationalize every decision they make and try to convert you to agree with them, but many of his statements were pretty absurd.

As for the anarchist perspective, I just like to poke fun at it from time to time because I've yet to hear a compelling argument for how it's a feasible way to exist. Don't mean to offend anyone who believes in it, just that I can't agree with the whole "capitalism is the enemy" argument used so often in anarchist writings.