Ruhtroh's Training Journal!

Ruhtroh

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF6SntdVvjw

Quick and basic clip of how you'd do a power clean to get into a front squat position. Learning how to clean properly is actually fairly technical, and once you get into bad habits for technique (like me), they become nearly impossible to break. Do them sparingly until you get someone to really help work in proper form, or you'll end up with the ugliest muscled-up clean technique that just doesn't want to get better.

Or, you could go with the old Steinborn approach to squatting:

Though, most gyms seem to frown on that one

11/20/10

Some leg press machine (can almost max it out, and I have weak legs!)

Front squats: 5 reps at 95 pounds, 5 reps at 135. These hurt my wrists. I'll do some shoulder dislocations for flexibility.

OHP: (5, 4, 4) 85

Deadlifts: (1x5) 285, single at 315

Pull-ups: 4, 3, 3

Prone bridges: (3x30 seconds) +45 pounds

Bench: (1x5) 135, (1x5) 155, single at 165, single at 175 *PR*

Barbell bicep curls... don't hate me!

Chin-ups: 3, 3, 3

I'm pretty happy with my new bench 1RM. I probably could have done 180 or 185.

Front squats: 5 reps at 95 pounds, 5 reps at 135. These hurt my wrists. I'll do some shoulder dislocations for flexibility.

A few points -

1. Make sure the bar is resting on your shoulders completely and you are upright. I find it more comfortable to have it on the end of the fingertips of only a couple of fingers

2. Keep your elbows UP and in at all times. Constantly concentrate on this.

3. You don't lean forward like a low bar squat. Your torso stays upright, go down as far as your flexibility will allow. DO NOT LEAN FORWARD to get deeper. Your elbows will come down, your wrists will bend and they will hurt.

Nice work on the bench, you've overtaken me

11/24/10

Deadlift: (1x5) 295... actually, 305! I accidentally had 10 extra pounds on one side! It felt awful haha

OHP: (3x5) 85 Lame, I know.

Prone bridge: +45 pounds for 45 seconds

Chin-ups: 5

Quick, lame workout today. I've deadlifted three times in a row, so I desperately need two rest days.

Why is my OHP so weak relative to my bench??

Thanks, Chewy and Robert!

OHP is simply a tough lift man. It's not different from bench in just a shift from chest to more shoulders, you have to balance that weight from the floor, a lot of core strength and it's way more taxing.

One thing I've noticed is you can squat or deadlift heavy before heavy bench and it won't affect it really. But doing them before OHP just kills your core strength before you get started.

Haha lop-sided deadlifts. Better than curls

OHP is simply a tough lift man. It's not different from bench in just a shift from chest to more shoulders, you have to balance that weight from the floor, a lot of core strength and it's way more taxing.

One thing I've noticed is you can squat or deadlift heavy before heavy bench and it won't affect it really. But doing them before OHP just kills your core strength before you get started.

Haha lop-sided deadlifts. Better than curls

Hey! Give me a break! I got some stretch marks from those curls!

11/29/10

Squats: (3x5) 185

OHP: (3x5) 85

DL: (1x5) 225, (1x3) 275 Deloaded

Pull-ups: 4, 2, 1 Ew

Prone bridges: (2x30) seconds +45 pounds

I'm back at school and can squat again. Call me a momma's boy, but I miss home already! It's nice to be one of the strongest people in the gym at home.

12/1/10

Squats: (3x5) 190

BP: (3, 2, gave up) 160, reps at 135 AWFUL I went 5, 5, 5, 3, 2 last time I tried 160

BB rows: (3x5) 120 *PR*

Dips: 7, 6 unweighted

Bad workout.

I don't eat as well at school, nor am I as happy. Obviously this isn't good for my progress. My roommate drives me crazy. He is always in the room. Okay, now I'm mostly just whining, not proposing reasons why my lifts are suffering.

Hang in there, room mates can be tough to deal with. Are you living in a dorm? What are the food options like there? Sorry if you've already mentioned that somewhere.

Thanks for the concern. I'm doing fine... was just annoyed with my body after that bad workout.

Yes, I'm living in a dorm. I'm in a forced triple--a double converted into a triple. It's not bad, just not as nice as home haha

They always have vegan food here, so I shouldn't have complained. I need to make myself eat more, is all. I should get a rice cooker and always have quinoa cooked....

12/4/10

Squats: (3x5) 195

OHP: (3x5) 85+ (microloaded with collars)

DL: (1x5) 225, (1x3) 275, single at 295

Chin-ups: 7 *PR*, 5, 3

Weighted prone bridges: +45 pounds for 45, 30 seconds

Not a bad workout! Finally!

OHP went up pretty well.

Chin-ups felt great today! Personal record of 7, even though I gained weight!

12/6/10

Squats: (5, 5, 3) 200 *PR*

BP: (5, 5, 3, 2, 2) 160 NO! Time to deload.

BB rows: (3x5) 120

Dips: 8, 7, 6 *PR*

Reverse crunches: (3x12)

Uhhh... I'm getting porky. I weight 194 fully clothed, fed, hydrated.

I want to cut some weight off, but I'll keep going! BULK!

Still looking great for progress as always, Rutroh!

Give lower-carb dieting a shot when it's time to cut some fat. I find that I can still maintain strength well on about 125-150g carbs/day (eating one larger carb-filled meal after training, rest of them on the low side of the spectrum), best type of diet I've done to drop fat without losing a ton of muscle or needing to kick in cardio multiple times per week.

And, to follow up on the overhead stuff as Chewy noted, it's usually the slowest lifting to progress for most people, so don't sweat it too much. As I tend to tell people here often, if your overhead strict pressing stalls out, change it up to doing push presses, 1-arm DB presses with a bit of side lean when necessary, partial presses, etc. as those things tend to work well for breaking through strict pressing plateaus. When you get to where you're push pressing 10-20% above your strict press weights, it definitely builds more strength and confidence for when you go back to strict pressing. Which is why I'm about to change back to non-strict pressing soon, as I'm hitting a wall myself!

Thanks for the words, both of you. Feeling better about OHP. I feel like my form has improved a bit.

I definitely eat too many carbs. It's an easy way to get calories around here. There are juices and vegan cookies (Alternative Baking Company... delicious).

Drat! Another bad workout.

Squats: (2, 2) 200 Awful awful awful awful

BP: (5, 3) 160; (7, 6) 135

Inverted rows: (3x5) 125 *PR*

Dips: 8, 6, 5

Been stressed from final projects and exams. Can't wait to go home! 5 nights, and then I'm back in business!