Adena gets strong!

Adena

I'm married! The wedding was yesterday. We didn't tell anybody but the other vegans that all the food was vegan, and everyone loved it. The cake was beautiful, my dress fit, and the church agreed to wait on putting up the Christmas decorations up until after the wedding. (We had a bit of a last minute fiasco with the pastor informing us we were going to have Christmas decorations, and then relenting and letting us use the wedding decorations only.) Weeee, we're married!

Haven't been able to train much this week, but I'll post what I did when I get around to it. Had sort of a lackluster deadlift day, then a little cardio and then I was too busy preparing for the wedding and decorating and such.

Oh yeah, when we got to the church in the morning, the street was closed off right in front of the church and they were fixing a water main or something all day long. My sister and I were like, "You have got to be kidding me!" But hopefully everyone found a place to park who wanted to come to the wedding anyway.

Hopefully I'll build up my calories every day again and feel well fed enough by Tuesday so I can start lifting again. I've been absolutely STARVING this weekend. Just too busy to prepare much food, and then at the reception I didn't really get to chow down like I wanted to because I had to mingle around and say hi to everyone who traveled from afar. I'm about to go have reception leftovers at my parents' house, so that'll be awesome! Yay, vegan cake!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo hoo! Last week I kind of overindulged in wedding cake and felt pretty nauseous for the next couple of days. Eventually I felt up to doing some cardio, so I did pretty well Monday through Friday. I did some HIIT days and some endurance days. This weekend I still had to clear out some crap from the apartment and run errands, so I didn't really work out much. I'm intending to do some cardio tonight, then get back to lifting Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

Ok, I'm back! I've been heartily eating things like tofu and potatoes in miso gravy, and tofurkey leftovers to stay warm and prepare for some heavy lifting. So far, it seems to be working! I decided to redo the same weights I hit last time since I took almost a two week hiatus before the wedding.

Squat Day

Parallel Squats:

1x5x125

1x5x145

1x5x165

Oly Squats:

3x5x135

My powerlifter/personal trainer buddy walked in when I was about to do my second set, and gave me some pointers. Apparently I flare out my elbows a lot on the descent, which is pushing my shoulders and my upper back forward, which is somewhat preventing me from keeping my back aligned properly and reaching a2g depth. Very helpful advice, but really difficult to execute. My elbows just have a mind of their own!

Lunges with 35 lb plate held overhead:

3 sets

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x45

1x5x75

1x5x85

1x5x95

Then a pyramid down:

1x5x90

1x6x85

1x8x80

1x10x75

1x10x70

I was pretty happy with this, as my bench numbers sometimes take a nosedive when I take time off. This time, the strength feels about the same, which is good.

Push-Ups:

1x10

1x8

1x7

I think I was losing steam while doing these.

Assisted Chin-Ups (underhand grip):

1x6

1x5

1x4

BOY it's hard to get in the gym when you get married in December and then have to get ready for Christmas in a hurry!

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x5x135

1x5x160

1x5x185

1x3x210

Not so great, but taking a break hurt my strength gains a little bit. I should've been able to lift 210 five times. I usually get back into the game after taking a break pretty quickly when it comes to deadlifting, so my numbers should get back up there soon.

Rack Pulls:

3x3x235

Farmer's Walks with two 45 lb plates:

3 pleasant strolls

Plate Pinches with two 5 lb plates between my thumb and forefingers:

3 sets each hand; far stronger on the right today. Time to work on ol' lefty!

Squat Day

Parallel Squats:

1x3x135

1x3x155

1x3x175

Oly Squats: 3x3x145

That was it, I had to get back home in a hurry for some reason, can't remember why now. Probably getting ready for Christmas.

Bench Day

Bench:

1x3x45

1x3x80

1x3x90

1x3x100

1x4x95

1x5x90

1x6x85

1x8x80

1x10x75

BOR:

1x8x85

2x8x95

Then we had Christmas, so I didn't get back into the gym until Sunday. My husband gave me Robert's book on Vegan Bodybuilding, and I gave him a kettle bell. Merry Christmas, let's get HUUUUGE! Haha.

Deadlift Day

1x3x135

1x3x170

1x3x195

1x3x220

Rack Pulls:

3x3x245

Assisted Wide Grip Pull-Ups:

1x8

2x3

Farmer's Walks:

3 sets

Plate pinches:

3 sets

I forgot to mention it, but on Sunday when I went in to deadlift there was a group of four or five guys there having a bench and squat fest. They were impressed with my deadlifts and a couple of them came up to me and asked if I compete. One of them asked how much I weigh. Made me feel like one of the guys.

Squat Day

Parallel Squat:

1x5x135

1x5x145

1x3x165

1x2x185 PR!

Oly Squat:

3x5x145

3 sets, a little farther this time just to wear myself out for the fun of it.

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x45

1x5x85

1x3x100

1x1x110

1x2x105

1x1x100

1x3x95

1x3x90

1x5x85

BOR:

3x10x95

Push-Ups:

2x14

1x10

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x5x135

1x5x185

1x3x210

1x1x235

Rack Pulls:

3x1x255

Assisted Wide Grip Pull-Ups:

1x10

1x4

1x3

Farmer's Walks with a 45 lb plate in each hand:

3 sets

Plate Pinches with two 5 lb plates:

3 sets

Now this week is Deload Week, and hopefully I'll have a little more time to devote to cardio.

Looks like I forgot to write down what I did for Deload Week last week. Basically, for the program I'm using, you do 40%, 50%, and 60% of your assumed 1RM for the month for each main lift, three sets of five. I did that for squats, bench, and deadlift. I also did a lot of cardio last week since I felt that I had time for it.

It's been a while since I've given a rundown of my typical diet, and it may have changed somewhat. I know I take in more calories than I used to. So if any of you are interested, this is pretty typical for me:

7 am Breakfast: 1/4 cup oats with 1tsp milled flax seed, 1tbsp peanut butter, 2-3 tsp brown sugar; 4 oz scrambled tofu with a smidgen of olive oil, 1/8 cup nutritional yeast, various spices

4 cups of coffee (really, I'm ridiculous) throughout the morning at work

10 am Snack: 20 almonds

1 pm Lunch: stew with about 1 cup cooked lentils, various veggies, and whole wheat noodles; 1/2-1 cup steamed broccoli with salt and pepper, or a spinach salad with balsamic vinegar

3:30 pm Lunch 2: same as Lunch 1, usually

Strength Training Session begins at approximately 5pm

6PM: pea protein shake with about 20 grams protein

7 or 8 pm Supper: 1-2 cups three bean chili, spinach salad, 1/2 a yam, two pieces of homemade cornbread

Not really too ridiculous on the calorie count, but it's definitely way more than I ate when I was just into cardio years ago.

Squat Day

I decided to use the same weight for each lift that I used last month, since it felt a bit shaky sometimes.

Parallel Squat:

1x5x45 to warm up

1x5x125

1x5x145

1x8x165 (guess I could've moved up the weight after all)

Oly Squat:

3x10x135

3 sets

Well, the last 1RM I had for parallel squats was 185, and that was only two weeks ago. Looks like that might be moving up this month! Awesome. I feel like I've gotten my second wind this month, or something.

Bench Day

Bench:

1x5x45

1x5x75

1x5x85

1x5x95

1x5x90

1x6x85

1x8x80

1x10x75

1x12x70

BOR:

2x8x95

1x6x95

These felt a lot more difficult than last week. It might have been because I was picking the weight off the floor instead of from a low racked position.

Push-Ups:

1x16

1x10

1x8

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x5x135

1x5x160

1x5x185

1x5x210

Rack Pulls:

3x3x245

Farmer's Walks with two 45s:

3 sets

Plate Pinches with two 5s pinched between thumb and fingers of each hand:

3 sets

Forgot to update my log all last week, so that's the rest of it, above. This week I'm doing triples.

Squat Day

Parallel Squat:

1x3x135

1x3x155

1x5x175

Oly Squats:

3x8x145

4 sets

At some point during the fourth set of lunges, I broke my butt! Luckily, my powerlifter friend was there to show me how to use a foam roller. It's pretty much what it looks like. It worked really well, too.