Yoga.

Hi everyone, I am really interested in Yoga and would like to incorporate it into my weightlifting/sprinting regime. I am the kind of person who likes to train his body equally, so I would not neglect my legs over chest when weightlifting. I am looking to do the same thing with Yoga, train my body's flexibility equally all over the place, that is to say have X number of poses I can cycle through throughout the week that targets my body equally in the realm of flexibility like one does with weightlifting. And, I am looking to do this for free. Does anyone have any resources, websites, or free e-books they could share with me?

Thanks. :3

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I think that's awesome to incorporate yoga into your routine. You'll build a better relationship with your body and will get stronger than ever!

My friend just posted some awesome yoga vids to YouTube. He's great with explaining the postures and giving options for different levels. One is more of a beginner/intermediate class and the other is a VERY challenging Power Yoga class that may not be good for beginners if you aren't too flexible but will be a great strength challenge. Here's a great intro to the sun salutation:

If you want to do a whole class, here's the playlist (but the 3rd video in the playlist is intermediate so you may want to skip that):

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list/p=7D931AA148AC2862

And here's the super challenging Power Yoga vid

And the playlist which includes Yoga Abs

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6B6C48F329E1C21B

If you think people would like a more basic intro to Yoga or other vids you think would be good, he's looking for feedback so let me know.

this guy is very good:)

I'm not sure though if one could learn how to do all these asanas CORRECTLY, without taking classes. Every single asana is little world for itself. I was taking yoga classes for 5 years and we did all asanas separately with lots of relaxing between them. And I think I actually really learned how to execute and take all benefits of asanas correctly only after 5 years of classes.

I don't know if you understand my point. I think yoga isn't something you can learn over youtube or from book. You can also get hurt very badly. Find a good teacher and start learning. It is the best thing I've ever done for myself. Besides BB, off course:)))

And if you ask me what type, I vote for relaxing Hatha yoga

And if you are looking for really great thing to watch, this Russian guy is the best, doing Ashtanga yoga

Yes I agree with Vege and Bryan also says in the video that one on one training is essential. Take some classes, do these videos, take classes again and ask the instructor specific questions you have. That will give you a good foundation to build your own practice.

doesn't have to be one or one, just a good teacher who watches and corrects the students while they do asanas.

And it is really special energy in the room when 10 people at the same time do the same asana.

I never felt so good doing yoga at home, comparing to classes.

I've been teaching yoga for 8 years throughout San Antonio. There are many styles of yoga. It depends what you are looking for in a practice.

There are styles such as yin yoga, which help to build flexibility. These are popular for people who do their strength training outside the studio and just need to stretch. There is hot yoga, which is good for people who are tight and need the intense heat to stretch and detox. This style is a set series, which provides no upper body strength, but does have lots of balancing. There are vinyasa, or flow styles, which use an active routine and breath to build heat in the body. These are anywhere from beginner to advanced power classes. They can be fun and creative and work to build overall strength, balance, and flexibility.

I've taught many styles and levels. Its all good and wonderful to crosstrain with. It just depends what you're looking for!

A great online resource is yogajournal.com. They have a very thorough website and an awesome section for beginners. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

San Diego has a great yoga community and I'm sure there are a number of studios that offer donation based classes. With a quick google search, i found this one:

http://www.yogaonesandiego.com/classdescriptions.html

Getting in a class is going to be invaluable in starting a personal practice that becomes powerful and consistent. But trust me, it won't be long before you realize it is *worth* paying for,

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I want to tell you that is Yoga itself still and tones the body, but it isn’t a cardiovascular workout, you must do at least a 30 minute a day quick walk or some type to amplify the efficiency of yoga as a weight loss tool.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That's a good decision, I should say.

The fact is that lohungfong is right in that point that yoga became too popular, while the original aim of yoga hardly can be achieved by a usual person. ( I mean the attainment of a state of perfect spiritual insight and achieving moksha)

I'd rather call these excercises stretching which are very useful and should be done by any person who's trying to achieve a perfect state.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Cellar Yeti,

There are websites that teaches yoga at every level and many resources available on you tube also so just search on internet. You can even start practicing a little bit at home just by following those videos.