Soy free protein powders

e. I've heard horror stories about lack of B12 vitamins causing dementia, ha!

A good one-a-day could cost me 20 bucks for a months supply, so shouldn't I just stick with the vega?

Even if you go to rip-off GNC you can find a 3 month supply of vegetarian multi for $18: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3244940

You should definitely take a sublingual B12 supplement regardless of vega or a multi. Aim for 1mg twice a week. I don't know about dementia, I think the first symptom of deficiency is loss of sensation in your fingers and toes, but by that point the damage is basically irreversible.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this enquiry,

I found that using Soy powders gave me bloating and gas. I looked around for others and eventually purchased Garden of Life *Raw Protein* and *Raw Meal Replacement*.

My only problem with these powders is the the PRICE. I go through them quite rapidly and it gets expensive (VEGA is 64 bucks a hit).

I own a Vitamix machine with a grinder attachment for making flour. I have considered using it to grind dry lentils, split peas and maybe some beans to use as protein supplement.

Has anyone here tried doing this with good results? Is it safe to consume dry peas and legumes without cooking them?

Thanks for your time,

Chris

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this enquiry,

I found that using Soy powders gave me bloating and gas. I looked around for others and eventually purchased Garden of Life *Raw Protein* and *Raw Meal Replacement*.

My only problem with these powders is the the PRICE. I go through them quite rapidly and it gets expensive (VEGA is 64 bucks a hit).

I own a Vitamix machine with a grinder attachment for making flour. I have considered using it to grind dry lentils, split peas and maybe some beans to use as protein supplement.

Has anyone here tried doing this with good results? Is it safe to consume dry peas and legumes without cooking them?

Thanks for your time,

Chris

Another alternative, if you can find it, would beHarmonized Vegan Protein. I try and stay away from soy and it's the powder I can get around here with the most bang for my buck.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone's had success grinding their own powder, though, because that would be ideal.

• 4 weeks later...

"True Protein is proud to announce that we have developed and released two brand new Pre-Mix Protein formulas specially designed for our vegan and vegetarian customers! Getting your daily protein intake can be tough for many heavy lifters, but this is especially difficult for vegans and vegetarians with limited options in their restrictive diets. True Protein looks to help with the Vegan Protein Optimizer Formula and the Vegan Wholefoods Meal Replacement Formula:

Vegan Protein Optimizer Formula

Clean, great tasting, and best of all, completely vegan. The Vegan Protein Optimizer Formula has been specially designed to meet the growing needs of vegans and vegetarians looking for a complete protein powder to meet their daily protein requirements. Why pay outrageous retail prices for low-cost materials to meet your personal lifestyle? This rounded formula contains three of the highest-quality vegetable and grain-based protein powders available on the market: Gemma Pea Protein Isolate, Rice Protein Concentrate, and Hemp Protein. Each of these materials are non-GMO, and processed using the cold-water filtration method:

45% Gemma Pea Protein Isolate

45% Rice Protein Concentrate

10% Hemp Protein

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6976

Vegan Wholefoods Meal Replacement Formula

Finding a quick, easy, but most importantly, complete meal replacement for the vegan and vegetarian can be difficult on the run, but not when you have the Vegan Wholefoods Meal Replacement Formula to help you out! By combining three of the highest-quality vegetable and grain-based protein powders with oats, psyllium fiber, and flax, True Protein has created a great tasting, great mixing meal replacement formula to meet your vegan lifestyle! For the best tasting, all-natural results, we recommend mixing with the Natural Premium Flavor systems.

48% Gemma Pea Protein

23% Rice Protein Concentrate

15% Hemp Protein

10% Swedish Oat Starch

2% Psyllium Seed Husk Fiber

2% Flax Seed Oil Powder

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6977" -CNIzz

http://66.147.240.153/~trueprot/showthread.php?t=37477

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

this is a really interesting thread!

I leave in europe and I think the only store that will ship in Italy are myprotein and bulkpowder.

So my choice is limited to pea powder protein, brown rice powder protein and hemp powder protein. I have to exclude the pea's proteins because their taste is horrible... someone confirmed that in this topic.

So I'll buy the brown rice powder protein and hemp powder protein.. are they complete protein?

To obtain complete proteins, how or with what I can combine or mix these proteins?

ty

• 1 month later...

My fav are Sunwarrior and Vega. Also like Garden of Life. These days I can have Shakeology too (yay vegan flavors) so I get that in as well.

I only really worry about adding extra when I know I'm super active...which I'm going to be over the next few months.

• 1 month later...

I would recommend that if you guys go with a vegan protein powder (and I'm sure that's pretty much everyone on this board because we all need protein). You do a little bit of research about the taste. I've wasted way too much money on powders that I couldn't down.

The best ones I've found are hemp powders. They're easy to cover up in fruit shakes and it blends pretty easy. The best one I've found is the Nutivia hemp powder.

I would try http://veganproteinpowders.net, the dude gets a bunch of samples and posts up reviews of each one. Please do your research before dropping money!

this is a really interesting thread!

I leave in europe and I think the only store that will ship in Italy are myprotein and bulkpowder.

So my choice is limited to pea powder protein, brown rice powder protein and hemp powder protein. I have to exclude the pea's proteins because their taste is horrible... someone confirmed that in this topic.

So I'll buy the brown rice powder protein and hemp powder protein.. are they complete protein?

To obtain complete proteins, how or with what I can combine or mix these proteins?

ty

HAHAHA I've got the exactly issue going on.

Allergic to soy. Pea tastes horribly. Hemp is only 55% protein. Brown rice last possibility! There are also online shops selling wheat protein. But I am consuming much seitan, which consists of wheat gluten. So, no option for me!

Anyone ever tried lupine protein concentrate?

i think we dont need extra protein powders at all. Hemp is terrible, and I dont even want to know what pea protein tastes like

and Fallen Horse: i heard sprouting makes wheat grain become complete protein... but should you really care? protein combining ... not necessary

Hi there,

I discovered a new vegan power protein recently. It's name is SUNSATION MAN. I am really happy that I have discovered it as I really like it and its ingredients. I feel really healthy and strong. I am following this treat since a few months and wanted to share my new experience with you as I experienced myself that it is not that easy to find a vegan protein powder since soya.

Greetings from Germany,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
I've read that 97% rice protein + 3% lysin has nearby the same AA range like milk. I ordered rice protein + lysin online and I'll mix it as soon as i get it. Hopefully it is not as vile as pea or hemp protein..

Dammit, is pea protein really that bad? lol I just bought 2lbs of the stuff online.

• 1 month later...

I got my pea protein, I had to try it with just water, to see how it tastes. I did 30g scoop with about 500ml, I was gagging towards the end lol Maybe it was the extra foam that was on top though. I'll still use it, but with fruits and other ingredients blended into a smoothie from now on

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Im currently using http://www.martinandpleasance.com/brands/vital/about-vital-protein/

Seems to be fairly hard to get non whey protein at a reasonable price in Aussie. Any Aussies out there using something else? No complaints about this one at all (also use the Vital Greens). But almost at end of current tub and could be keen for something different

That's the one I use as well mate. It's good stuff

Im currently using http://www.martinandpleasance.com/brands/vital/about-vital-protein/

Seems to be fairly hard to get non whey protein at a reasonable price in Aussie. Any Aussies out there using something else? No complaints about this one at all (also use the Vital Greens). But almost at end of current tub and could be keen for something different

That's the one I use as well mate. It's good stuff

Epic! Shall keep with it then

Until you bring out your range of course