Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My journey from fat to fit-Nutritional advice needed!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 pm 
Rabbit

Everytime I sign into the forum, I look at this section and think I really should make a topic. There's no turning back now!

I went vegetarian when I was 11, but was always very unhealthy. Moved out of the house a year and a half ago, and decided it was time for a lifestyle change. After more research I began leaning towards a vegan diet.
I am not completly vegan, I eat about 1-2 servings of dairy a week. This is usually when I get a wrap at school I will get cheese on it, or icecream occasionaly when I'm out with friends.
Finally I've made the choice to go 100% vegan and know this would be a FABULOUS place to be held accountable! There will be a lot of difficult times where I will be turning to you guys for advice. My Mom is more understanding of my diet choices, so I'm not too worried about when I visit her (however, this will be my very first year without a Dairy Queen IceCream cake on my birthday. Silly, I know, but it is the only thing I look forward to about my birthday!).
However when I visit my Dad and Stepmom, she is very forceful about foods. she makes a big enough deal about me being vegetarian, it is also impossibly hard to eat healthy over there. I have tried buying my own food for the weekend, but she gets very offended. I'm considering for awhile just not visiting (they are a couple of hours away, so I have to stay overnight) until I'm a little more confident in my will power and ability to say no!

When I started this journey, I was 149 pounds. I know weigh about 123 pounds, but still have a long ways to go. For awhile now I have been doing a 3 day split, twice a week. I've found that I'm just going through the motions now and not really working out. So I've decided it's time to shake it up! For the next two weeks I will be doing sports-conditioning based workouts as a way to learn more exercises and get my body working better as a unit. Tomorrow will be the first day, I'm excited!

Todays log:
Workout: Day off (walked about 7km)
Food:
-Brown and wild rice with pesto & nutritional yeast
-Banana
-Smoothy (carob powder, Vega chocolate Shake N Go, dulce, chia seeds, banana, apple, blueberries, water, shredded coconut)
-Coconut (my first time trying fresh coconut, and I could not stop eating it! I've been dipping it in natural peanut butter, and it's filled me right up. So not a great eating day)

Last edited by Subtitles on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My journey from fat to fit
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:57 pm 
Rabbit

Todays workout:
The best workout I have had in a very long time! I am so happy I decided to give the split a break.
My workout lasted about an hour and a half, focusing on upper body type working using mostly BOSU balls, bodyweight and the TRX (I did a few weights, mostly focusing on shoulders).

Food:
-Brown and wild rice with pesto
-Watermelon
-Recovery Pudding (bananas, blueberries, maca root, carob powder, water, coconut milk, Vega Shake N' Go, dulse leaves). Got a lot of compliments from omnivores (it somehow ended up getting passed around the table. People are so fascinated by my food!)
-Green grapes
-3 tbsp natural peanut butter (REALLY gotta break that habbit)
-Red potatoes with pesto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 am 
Elephant

Subtitles wrote:
Todays workout:
The best workout I have had in a very long time!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: 8)

And the old spoon in the pb jar. Yes, quite a difficult habit to break. I hear ya.

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 pm 
Rabbit

Todays workout wasn't too hard, I can't believe how beat up my body is after yesterday! I did some partner core exercises, and some speed work on the BOSU ball. Oh, and jumped onto the BOSU platform for the first time-made my day!
I haven't decided about tomorrows workout. Either cram in plyometrics, or save the plyo for Thursday (when I have a 3 hour gap inbetween classes-so plenty of time!) and do a yoga class.

Food:

-Red potatoes with mustard (ya, I said mustard!)
-Recovery pudding
-Coconut dipped in natural peanut butter
-Grapes
-Salsa and tortilla chips
-Whole wheat bread

I never realized just how much dairy they sneak into products! Today was my first day grocery shopping (buying something other then fruits and veggies), so I spent a lot of time looking at labels. There were a lot of foods that went back on the shelf!

I'm thinking about the 80/10/10 diet for awhile. I never binge on foods that I have completly eliminated from my diet, so that will be a great way to avoid a repeat of tonight.

Last edited by Subtitles on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 am 
Elephant

Thank you for sharing your journey. We're with you all the way :D I'm glad to hear of your vegan choices and motivational spirit. Glad that your workouts are going well also. It will flow in time. Stick with it ;)

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:44 am 
Stegosaurus

I hear you, I have binged on bread before. I don't buy myself treats very often because I can't seem to have things in moderation, I have to scarf it all down at once.

What is in your recovery pudding? Is it the one from Thrive?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:14 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks for your support!

My recovery pudding started out as the Thrive recipe, but I change it everyday. Today I decided to make vanilla pudding using
-Banana
-Raspberries
-Coconut milk
-Vanille Vega Shake N' Go
-Maca Root
-Tiny bit of cinnamon (I had no nutmeg :()
-Vanilla extract
-Pinch of salt

Todays workout:
Lasted a little over an hour. The gym was CRAZY (common hours for students in the entire college-yikes!) so I had to change around my plan. Ended up doing core and stability, weights (legs) and a bit of balance stuff on the BOSU. Oh and 12 minutes of cardio (at intense effort). Me and cardio don't see eye to eye, so I try to do my cardio by keeping my heart rate up during workouts.

Food:
-Tortilla chips and salsa (with veggie ground)
-Banana
-Vanilla recovery pudding
-Apple
-Coconut dipped in natural peanut butter (LOTS of peanut butter!)
-Whole wheat pasta with pizza sauce (I have been on a very self indulgent kick the past few days. I better get that under control fast!)

Starting tomorrow: 80/10/10!!!

In other news...
I took progress pics :S Will work on posting them now!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 pm 
Rabbit

I hate taking progress pictures, I feel like I'm not making changes near as fast as I should be.
So to make myself feel better:
Before I started losing weight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 pm 
Rabbit

Another amazing workout today!!
Did upper body again, still can't get over what a difference changing up a routine can make.
I almot never do cardio, need to break out of that habit! Finally did so today and felt amazing. I did 30 minutes worth of intervals on the bike (and WOW was I ever sweating when I was done!). Workout lasted about 2 hours total.

Eating:
-Red potatoes with mustard
-2 bananas
-a cantaloupe
-Vanilla recovery pudding
-2 tbsp natural peanut butter
-coconut
-brown pasta with pizza sauce and veggie ground

As a new vegan, are there any tips you can give me about eating out? Is there a website that lists what foods are vegan at what resteraunts? I have been looking at the nutrition sections of the individual websites, but they aren't uually helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:25 pm 
Manatee

Hey Subtitles! Congrats on the major progress so far! Happycow is a decent resource for finding veg restaurants but it's often outdated/incomplete. Are you looking for what's vegan in chain restaurants? If so, check these -

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-l ... rants.aspx
http://veganmasterlist.blogspot.com/

or just google vegan chain restaurants.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 am 
Rabbit

Thank you vegimator! The links were really helpful.

Yesterdays workout:
Amazing!
40 BOSU jumps, agility work, 15 minutes on the tredmill doing jogging intervals (first time I have braved running in months, and felt very little pain. I might be a runner again yet!). Workout lasted just over an hour.

Food:
-Watermelon
-Vanilla 'pudding'
-Flatbread with veggies
-3 bananas
-Chocolate macaroon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:47 pm 
Rabbit

What are you taking for fat burners ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:19 pm 
Rabbit

A big daily dose of exercise and healthy eating!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:17 pm 
Elephant

Lean and Green wrote:
....And the old spoon in the pb jar. Yes, quite a difficult habit to break. I hear ya.

Subtitles wrote:
....I am a binge eater, and have been working very hard to get the disorder under control by changing the way I think about food (Fuel not comfort!). However occasionaly it gets a bit out of control. I very rarely buy processed foods (the peanut butter was a treat) but for some strange reason I bought a loaf of bread and tortilla chips. The loaf was 1/3 gone by the time I threw it out, that was after two big bowls of tortillas and salsa. *sigh* I will take it as a lesson to never ever EVER by myself convenience foods as a treat again.

lobsteriffic wrote:
I hear you, I have binged on bread before. I don't buy myself treats very often because I can't seem to have things in moderation, I have to scarf it all down at once.

I think this is a very common problem! This is why I can't buy sugar, PB, chips, etc. because I will just eat them all! I try to minimize the amount of control that my brain thinks my stomach has, so it's better to just skip those things all together. It also looks like you have a sweet tooth like me! I don't know if you are still on the 811 diet, but if you are, pile on the fruits! I have found that those are a big help for me to stay away from less healthy sweets. Also I have a list of 'personal bests' measuring how long it's been since I have had a certain junk food. For example, no candy or soda since July 4th for me, so that's a nearly 6 month record that I don't want to break! This strategy might not work for you, but it has helped me cut down on some things. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:00 pm 
Rabbit

That's an awesome idea! I'm going to have to try that! And I am a huge fruit lover, so no problem there lol!

Today:
CRAZY awesome workout today!! Did my very first box jump!

For some reason I have always been terrified of the box jump. I made myself do it today, and ended up doing it about 20 times. I'm not very good at it, I have A LOT of work to do. No matter what I did I couldn't quite my landing-I made the gym sound like an indoor thunderstorm.
But still...super exciting for me!!
Weights-legs and some stability, workout lasted a little over an hour.

-Green smoothie (kale, banana, celery, pear, raspberries, water, agave nectar, carob powder)
-Veggie wrap
-Apple
-Pear
-Brown pasta with mustard
-Brown & wild rice with pesto (I FINALLY made the perfect pesto sauce!! YAY! The secret-Enough garlic to kill with my breath)