raw diet

roc

Thanks for the link I am really interested in the raw diet and lifestyle - I think to be successful on raw diet you should mostly fruit, with an occasional salad and some nuts (fats sparingly). A mistake people make going to a raw vegan diet is to get way too many of their calories from raw fats, but too much fat is never good!

How many 100% raw food members do we have on here? My friend Tonya Kay (www.tonyakay.com) is a raw foodist. My buddy Brendan Brazier (www.brendanbrazier.com) is about 80% raw. I've been up near 60-70% raw for periods of time, but I'm not even close these days. I'd like to go back to being more raw so I think I'll put some energy into it.

Any raw foodists out there on this forum?

I'm about 60% - 70% now. The more raw food I eat, the better I feel, and have been looking to increase my raw consumption. Lack of easily being able to prepare meals due to limited knowledge of good raw recipes is holding me back. But as I find ones I like it gets easier. At this time however, I don't ever see myself being 100% raw.

Robert, I forgot to mention I received an e-mail from Storm & Jingee (mass e-mail) and they are starting their e-newsletter up again. You can sign up directly from their site.

I like Storm and Jingee's approach as they seem to lean towards foods closer to their whole form, unlike some that like to dehydrate a lot of food. I also don't want to juice, but I'm not sure if they do or not.

I also have been known to hang around some of the Raw Boards.

......not that any of them compare to this incredible board, of course!

Thanks Denise,

I'll look into it. I also feel like raw is one of the best, or best ways to go. It is new to be, but then again, so was veganism 10 years ago, so maybe sometime raw will just be everyday life for me.

I've checked out some raw boards too, and I'm even on a raw personals site. You know me, the single peaceable vegan bodybuilder

A great book is THRIVE by Brendan Brazier, check it out on www.brendanbrazier.com

-Robert

I tried raw a while back and I'm going to try it again - either starting today or tomorrow. Does 'ligthly steamed' count as still raw - I don't know it's not like I'm totally cooking the food just warming it up a little - like the old stir fry y'know!

I tried juicing but I prefer eating the entire fruit

Comet

I believe BigBWII was doing Raw Veganism for awhile, not sure if he went back to it. I think he probably has the most knowledge on the subject on this forum, since he was the one that I remember that brought up the whole issue on Raw Diets.

I would really like to try it. Is it cheaper than buying other vegan foods? Does Tofu count or any foods that have a container?

I believe BigBWII was doing Raw Veganism for awhile, not sure if he went back to it. I think he probably has the most knowledge on the subject on this forum, since he was the one that I remember that brought up the whole issue on Raw Diets.

I would really like to try it. Is it cheaper than buying other vegan foods? Does Tofu count or any foods that have a container?

BigBWII is a fruitarian.

Tofu isn't raw because it has been processed.

It's up to debate the exact temp, but I have seen arguments for anything heated above 105-115 would not be raw food.

As far as cheaper, it is totally dependent on what you buy now. Raw foodies recommend organic food which is more pricy as well as some really high dollar ingredients if you choose to make some of the recipes. Since buying organic is so expensive and some food are not available in my area. I use this rule of thumb: If it's a product I would be eating the peel are a soft food then I buy organic when available. If it will be peeled I by standard items. My current grovery bill on (high) raw is anywhere from $150 -$250 weekly, but I'm feeding more than myself. You most likely will be able to get along on less. I also think once I get "the hang of it" and have a stocked pantry, It'll get more reasonably. Having a farmer's market near (this summer) will also help me to cut costs, and I can plan according to to what's in season. I am learning how to sprout now, which is an adventure in itself! I'm going to try a raw chili recipe.

Thanks for answering my questiong Denise. Boy that sounds really expensive. Farmers market isn't that close to me, but could take the bus there. Generally speaking, what do you normally buy if you don't mind me asking?

Also, thanks for correcting me on Biggs. Got confused with Fruitarian and Raw diet. Still though, if he's eating fruit, isn't that still Raw?

Also, are there any ethical reasons as to go Raw? For example, how would NOT eating tofu be ethical compared to eating organic?

Thanks again Denise.

Thanks for answering my questiong Denise. Boy that sounds really expensive. Farmers market isn't that close to me, but could take the bus there. Generally speaking, what do you normally buy if you don't mind me asking?

It is expensive, but once I learn how to sprout it won't be as much so. I also am currently not in an area where I have a lot of bulk available to me (like bulk nuts, beans, apples, etc).

This week is:

Spaghetti Marinara - the spaghetti is squash (your choice of yellow or zucchini) which is shreaded with a peeler, the marinaria is raw tomatoes, garlic, onlions, spices, etc (will have to pull the recipe)

Fettuchini Alfredo - same type for "noodles" but the sauce is a raw tahini based

Stuffed Potabello caps

Mock Turkey Loaf

Nori Rolls -the "rice" is minced califlower

Broccoli in Raw Tahini Sauce (I like tahini)

Collard Rolls

Also, tons of salads and fruit I have raw salsa, spinach dip and tahini dressing to eat with them.

I'm still very new to this but really like the crispy foods and not so bloated and full feeling even though I am getting all my caloric intake.

Also, thanks for correcting me on Biggs. Got confused with Fruitarian and Raw diet. Still though, if he's eating fruit, isn't that still Raw?

It is raw but only fruit. Fruitarians eat only foods of plant origin that can be obtained without killing the plant: fruits, nuts and seeds, for example.

Also, are there any ethical reasons as to go Raw? For example, how would NOT eating tofu be ethical compared to eating organic?

Vegan, yes, organic, yes, fruitarians will argue that their way is ethical.

Other than that most people go raw for health reasons. Some are combating disease Pat Reeves (female power lifting champion) is one, many have had complete recovery from disease. I beleive Brendan Brazier is high raw. I personally feel better on raw food. So you could eat tofu and still be high raw, you just wouldn't be 100% raw.

I have been dabbleing in raw for a while and since my sisters illness (still in ICU) I have been unable to work out as much as I want. Raw has made me maintain my weight. Their are some bodybuilders on some of the sites, and also some figure competitiors. They say they feel much better on raw.

Wow your menu sounds really yummy. Never heard of this "Tahini" dressing. Is it mock dairy or something? Also, I take it that all these foods were bought at an organic place?

It is raw but only fruit. Fruitarians eat only foods of plant origin that can be obtained without killing the plant: fruits, nuts and seeds, for example.

Ah ok thanks. So Fruitarian would be the "highest you can go" in regards to veganism? Such as it goes like, "Vegan -> Raw Vegan -> Fruitarian"?

Vegan, yes, organic, yes, fruitarians will argue that their way is ethical.

How is Organic and Vegan ethical, yet Fruitarians are not automatically classified as such? If anything, I would think it would be the other way around since the reason they choose this path is because it doesn't kill the plants?

Thanks for letting me know on peoples experience on Raw foods. Hope your sister can pull through this.

Wow your menu sounds really yummy. Never heard of this "Tahini" dressing. Is it mock dairy or something? Also, I take it that all these foods were bought at an organic place?

Tahini is seseme seed "paste" and comes from the health food store (make sure it says raw)

If your a big fan of peanut butter, try Raw Almond butter....hmmm good.

Most of my food was bought in the organic section of my local grocery store. Some items had to be bought from the health food store, such as the tahini and several of the raw nuts.

Ah ok thanks. So Fruitarian would be the "highest you can go" in regards to veganism? Such as it goes like, "Vegan -> Raw Vegan -> Fruitarian"?

Yes

How is Organic and Vegan ethical, yet Fruitarians are not automatically classified as such? If anything, I would think it would be the other way around since the reason they choose this path is because it doesn't kill the plants?

I must have mis-worded that, it should have been most ethical. I am just learning about Fruitarianism, It definatly has less impact on the environment then any of the others. So they are all ethical.

I can't get around the whole protein, carb, vitamin daily intake. So I don't think I'll be fruitarian any time soon. And, I am still learning about raw. The site posted at the begining of the thread is great information. Storm lifts and has an e-book on bodybuilding which also features another bodybuilder.

Hope your sister can pull through this

Thank-you

I am a raw foodie. I am almost 100% raw for 6 months now. Everyone once in awhile I will eat a cooked food, a lightly steamed plate veggies from time to time (usually in a restaurant with a salad as raw food is limited in these places). I will be High RAW for life. I love how I feel & look eating living foods. I like my Blood Lipid Profile too.

Why did I go raw ? Well after 6 years of competition dieting, I am a Figure Competitor (well as of this month I am a retired competitor and will now only be an INBF and USBF Judge) & living on 1000-1200 cals a day (to stay lean that is all I could eat ) and eating daily 180 grams of protein, some veggies, oatmeal and limited fruit...I found myself with a sluggish metabolism, and a really screwed up digestive system. As the years went on I found with each new season I developed a new food allergy. First it was eggs...then shellfish..then after a season of show prep eating daily tuna and roughy...I am now allergic to ALL FISH, I cannot eat Soy and most recently whey..so what is a girl to do except ditch the diet and start over. My twin has been a raw foodie for awhile so she gave me the Raw Food Detox Diet to read..been Raw since the day I read it !

I am selective in my food selection and follow Gabriel Cousen's type of raw food diet. I am into the quick exit foods, and food combining as I have digestive issues otherwise.

I eat mostly greens, sea veggies and non sweet fruit like cucumber and tomato. I limit hybrid type veggies like carrots and limit root veggies (don't taste great raw anyway).

I am a HUGE green drink fan and will have them for meal 1-2 & 3 !! My favorite is Kale, Romaine, Parsley, Lemon and 1/2 an apple. I will add Celery &/or Cucumber too.

I eat only sprouted grains like buckwheat and a small amount of soft sprouted wheat. Usually use these in my uncooked recipes.

I limit my fruit to some berries and grapefruit and apple from time to time. I am not a big fan of sweet fruit. If I eat fruit it is meal one or on a fast type day...once I eat a meal I do not eat fruit again.

I do not use oil and get fats from Sprouted Pumpkin Seed, Sprouted Almonds and Hemp and a small amt. of Flax Seeds.

I eat Superfoods like a fool..Maca, Gogi Berries, Spirulina, Cholerella and Raw Cacao beans for NFL.

The sweetners I use in my recipes like my Rawsome Choc Hemp Protein Bars are Yacon and Mesquite and Stevia.

The only cooked food I have had this week is coffee. I have not totally nixed that from my morning routine. Oh, few chocolate chips I tasted at the health food store, they are not raw of course.

Side note when I first went Raw and detoxed, got used to the new diet my strength went down for awhile then WOW my energy is thru the roof. I no longer get drag ass tired mid day, my blood suagar is stable, no more reactive hypoglycemia, my triglycerides plummets to 22...my B-12 Iron thyroid and all all all optimal function..and I am a whole new gal..

Thats my scoop....soorry so long.

Hey RawFigure!

I eat only sprouted grains like buckwheat and a small amount of soft sprouted wheat. Usually use these in my uncooked recipes.

I really need to learn how to do this.

I eat Superfoods like a fool..Maca, Gogi Berries, Spirulina, Cholerella and Raw Cacao beans for NFL.

I don't even know what these are!

The only cooked food I have had this week is coffee. I have not totally nixed that from my morning routine.

Yeah, this is a tough one for me

Thats my scoop....soorry so long.

Glad to see you posting!

Not too long at all. Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to eat a lot more fruit than I used to and I'm feeling a lot better as a result. I'm always really afraid I'll get really weak from less protein but I'm down to less than 50 grams a day and seem OK.

Not too long at all. Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to eat a lot more fruit than I used to and I'm feeling a lot better as a result. I'm always really afraid I'll get really weak from less protein but I'm down to less than 50 grams a day and seem OK.

I try to get about 54 grams as my min...some days I get to 75...wowee ! thats 1/2 of what I used to get. Macro nutrient breakdown is a huge subject. I had to throw all my learn ideas out the window when I went raw...and I am re learning from a less narrow minded view of things.

Seasiren..Maca, Cacao, Spirulina ( BEST source of plant protein out there)..dulce....these are foods I did not eat until I went Raw. Now I cannot live with out !

L.

You guys, well, "super gals" are really making me wonder about trying out a raw diet.

SeaSiren, your recipies/meals sound really good!! I'll bring my own chair and you won't even know I'm there.........

Raw Figure, I'm with SeaSiren, I've never even heard of "Maca, Gogi Berries, and Cholerella. Is the Spirulina the stuff you buy in a bottle at the health food store or are you getting that raw?

Ya, sprouting sounds worthwhile. There must be some literature out there somewhere.....

Thanks for the post and nice to meet you RawFigure.

Seasiren..Maca, Cacao, Spirulina ( BEST source of plant protein out there)..dulce....these are foods I did not eat until I went Raw. Now I cannot live with out !

L.

Hey, RawFigure, good to see you. I love maca as well and have them in my green smoothies. I'm 100% raw for now - I have been for over a year now - though I'm not obsessive about the "purity" of it; so I leave it open and consider myself "high raw."

And, hey, post your pictures for us! I've seen your pictures when you used to compete and you were awesome, woman! Great fitness, great figure. come on!

Oh, and welcome

L.

Hey, RawFigure, good to see you. I love maca as well and have them in my green smoothies. I'm 100% raw for now - I have been for over a year now - though I'm not obsessive about the "purity" of it; so I leave it open and consider myself "high raw."

And, hey, post your pictures for us! I've seen your pictures when you used to compete and you were awesome, woman! Great fitness, great figure. come on!

Oh, and welcome

Hmmm and who are you raVen...? have we meet ?

I have a few pictures posted on rawfoodtalk.com in the 30 day Challenge Gallery. I was going to pull them off soon as i do not Journal there now.

I too am High Raw. I do not obsess if I eat a cooked food. If I do it is because I made a concious choice to do so.

I like to sprout my Almonds, Seeds and Buckwheat sprouts great and I can make raw breads with it in my dehydrator. I also sprout mung, lentil and chick peas on occasssion.

There are some Great Books, websites for Raw Lifestyle. As with anything you have to weed thru what works and does not work for you.

There is the 10-10-80 raw food camp (10 protein 10 fat 80 carbs mostly from fruit) to the "you can eat anything if it is raw" camp...and then there are the only Organic types...and so on.

Yes MACA rocks, and is a boost for the females hormanal balance and enhances the "love life".

Gogi berries are a great anti oxident...

Cacao is the raw chocolate bean, controversal in the Raw World. But then again Braggs Amino's are contraversial too, raw... not raw ?

Spirulina is a dried sea veggie, great in vitamins minerals. Cholerella provides Protein for us who do not eat Soy, tofu, legumes.

Dulce, warning, is an aquired taste for sure. As is Kelp. very fishy.

If anyone needs resources let me know...

[/img]

I'm a raw vegan, I have Storms Circular Workout dvd.. he's amazingly fit for his age! I've read their ebooks and loved them.

His wife Jinjee tells amazing stories of raw pregnancy and natural childbirth.

I love also Victoria Boutenko's books, her most recent Green for Life

I was fascinated with her study on chimps and their diets, strangely however they do occasionally eat ants, or monkeys but not often.

THere are times where I'll have soy protein powder, and that's been prepared with heat, so that knocks me back from 100%

I sprout my seeds, lentils chick peas, drink green juices and smoothies often, use spirulina, I make nut milks and have them with maca.

Gabriel Cousens is inspiring, I found some great advice in his Conscious Eating book , I recently bought his "Spiritual Nutrition" and can't understand it

my favourite meal right now is a bunch of parsley, bunch of cilatnro a bunch of green onions 4 tomatoes chopped up with a dressing of mashed avacado and lemon, dash of honey olive oil and sea salt. (drool)

I use a dehydrator a lot for crisps, flaxcrackers or a mexican style corn chip, i add a salsa type sauce to with a slice of avacado.. yum!

Hmmm and who are you raVen...? have we meet ?

I have a few pictures posted on rawfoodtalk.com in the 30 day Challenge Gallery. I was going to pull them off soon as i do not Journal there now.

I too am High Raw. I do not obsess if I eat a cooked food. If I do it is because I made a concious choice to do so.

I like to sprout my Almonds, Seeds and Buckwheat sprouts great and I can make raw breads with it in my dehydrator. I also sprout mung, lentil and chick peas on occasssion.

There are some Great Books, websites for Raw Lifestyle. As with anything you have to weed thru what works and does not work for you.

There is the 10-10-80 raw food camp (10 protein 10 fat 80 carbs mostly from fruit) to the "you can eat anything if it is raw" camp...and then there are the only Organic types...and so on.

Yes MACA rocks, and is a boost for the females hormanal balance and enhances the "love life".

Gogi berries are a great anti oxident...

Cacao is the raw chocolate bean, controversal in the Raw World. But then again Braggs Amino's are contraversial too, raw... not raw ?

Spirulina is a dried sea veggie, great in vitamins minerals. Cholerella provides Protein for us who do not eat Soy, tofu, legumes.

Dulce, warning, is an aquired taste for sure. As is Kelp. very fishy.

If anyone needs resources let me know...

[/img]

Oh, yes, that's where I saw your pictures .

I still haven't tasted the ubiquitous gogi berry. I heard it tastes like cranberries. I don't eat dried fruit or gourmet raw or dehydrated stuff, etc.; I eat fresh raw. I had a journal going but just deleted mine too. My diet is very basic now and routine: 64 oz smoothie, Fruit Meal (mono), Vegetable-Fats meal. If I snack it will be handful of nuts, another smoothie, or fruit. Pretty simple, but I worked it out and that's it. I take hemp protein powder or raw rice protein occasionally.

Hmmm...haven't felt those effects from the maca, dammit!

Ooh, I do like cacoa, but don't eat it, lol. I have a bag of it, but never really think to use it. How do you use it?

You know what's funny about the whole Braggs and cacao thing? many of these people were discussing how you *have to* be 100% raw. But at the time they were claiming this and getting all the benefits they were consuming non-raw foods like Bragg's, nutritional yeast etc. and only later discontiued them when they found out. So what does this say about their 100% theory? It's only in the mind then? Okay, then everyone just has to pretend they're eating raw and it will work!! Lol.

Yea, I don't buy it. But, like I said, I'm 100% right now and doing great. I don't know it will always be that way,though. And I certainly don't think everyone has to be 100% to see dramatic results.

I like sprouts too, but dont grow my own wheatgrass and sprout anymore. I just buy it if I want it now on occasion.

You know it's nice to associate with folks who aren't so manic about it all! It really gets weird, you know?

SamL I think you used to post at RFT too. Did you have your baby? Are you still eating all raw? Can't remember if you were 100%. Good to see you, welcome!

SamL I think you used to post at RFT too. Did you have your baby? Are you still eating all raw? Can't remember if you were 100%. Good to see you, welcome!

No I didn't have a baby. I'd like to some day.

I moved on from forum, it was a great starting point for me, but a little intense about raw, when all I wanted to be was raw LOL...

I'm as interested in serious training as I am in what I eat.

I take Universal Advanced Soy Pro, which wouldn't be "RAW" from time to time.

If my brown rice hasn't sprouted in time for when I need it, (I get caught from time to time) then I'll cook some, might not be raw but still gives me energy when I need to train.

I like to say I'm raw, not getting hung up on 100%

I do pay attention to the products I buy, my olive oil, hemp oil, namu shoyu, agave nectar, yacon syrup, maca, cacao nibs, unhulled sesame tahini, honey, sea salt, carob powder, mesquite powder etc.. is all raw.

have an old fridge set aside, full of organic herbs, seeds & nuts.

In reply to a post "what do I do with the cacao nibs"

my treat I don't do often is..

1 cup walnuts

1/2 cup pitted dates

1/2 cup coconut water

4 tblp cacao (grind in coffee grinder to a powder) or raw carob powder

1/2 tsp sea salt

Mix in processor, roll into balls...

I just dump it in a bowl, set it in fridge, and stick my finger in it from time to time. YUM!!

Lots of people talk about the high energy buzzing feeling from cacao, so I ate a whole serve once, trying to 'feel' it... nothing!! lol

but it's good for you.. thats the buzz... chocolate can be good for you!

It has a compound in it 'theobromine' similar to caffeine, mood-elevating effects. The reports about chocolate addiction are probably right..

With cacao nibs your chocolate 'rush' is highly intensified, because nothing is lost to the effects of heat. 'superior, healthy chocolate'