True protein change

Paige

I just sent off an email. I have been asking them the question all day about the existing product if it has that higher level of sodium. They have ignored that question after 3 emails. So, this time I asked them if they would be giving refunds on the existing product since we were not aware of the high sodium levels. Maybe that will get an answer. I expressed the disappointment of the vegan BB community and let them know that the info was posted here. Maybe I will hear something on Monday and I will then post it. So, everyone, I have a show in 3 weeks and live on powder, what is my best alternative for VERY low carb, high protein that can be mixed with water and taste ok? Also, is there anything that I can pick up at a whole foods because as of right now I have no powder to use since I am afraid to use this stuff 3 weeks before contest. I am kind of panicking over this.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think this is worth all of us emailing them about this and saying how much it sucks and that we won't be ordering the gemma from them anymore? That way they are aware that people are actually upset about it?

I think that's a good idea, I will email them as well.

Has anyone checked out the trueprotein.com forums? Is this being talked about on there, I wonder? I haven't had much free time to look today...

We should post our concerns on that forum, since the owners of trueprotein probably frequent that site more than they do this one...

Everybody should email them! I just went to the TP forums. Nothing there about it. I registered and once I have an account there I will post something about. I think it just takes some time for their admin people to ok your reg to the forums. I guess the gemma was to good to be true. Low sodium, no carbs, good protein and I loved the chocolate banana. It is the first powder I could eat with only water. Maybe it was good because it was high in sodium the whole time? SUCKS!

Everybody should email them! I just went to the TP forums. Nothing there about it. I registered and once I have an account there I will post something about. I think it just takes some time for their admin people to ok your reg to the forums. I guess the gemma was to good to be true. Low sodium, no carbs, good protein and I loved the chocolate banana. It is the first powder I could eat with only water. Maybe it was good because it was high in sodium the whole time? SUCKS!

You may have to send a mod/admin a note asking them to approve your membership. that is what I had to do when I joined awhile back.

I guess they get really busy at times...

I hope you find something good, Paige.

I've been poking around a bit and found:

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/trueprotein/gemma-pea-protein/

http://dailyburn.com/nutrition/true_protein_gemma_pea_protien_powder_calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/true-protein-gemma-pea-protein-isolate-non-gmo-mango-unswtnd-1857257

So I guess this is one of the problems that's bound to crop up using such highly processed foods. I never made the connection between Gemma and my crazy unquenchable thirst. I'm pretty sure I don't have diabetes :P .

Even though this sucks royally, I'm not going to throw mine out. I guess i'll just cut it heavily with pure rice protein, or some other kind.

Even though this sucks royally, I'm not going to throw mine out. I guess i'll just cut it heavily with pure rice protein, or some other kind.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm buying some of that cheap organic hemp protein from lean and green and I'll cut it with that.

It's weird how two of your sources list the sodium as 25 mg and one lists 250 mg. Wtf?

Edited by vegimator

This sucks. I'll use up the gemma/rice blend I have but I may not reorder it. This might explain why my blood pressure sucked the week I was doing a PSMF.

I was going to suggest the rice protein as an alternative, but wow that stuff's nearly 20% carbs. Fine for everyday but not a low-carb cut. Damn it.

So here is my plan. First I went to whole foods and picked up a rice protein. It was awful! So, I am going to order the rice protein from TP. It has 5.6 grams of carbs and 2.4 of fiber so a 3gram net basically. I will use that for before and after workout. 4 scoops total. I don't love it but I can live with it if I mix with banana but definetly not with water only. Then I am going to put tofu back in for mid morn and afternoon meals. I am going to use the mori-nu light firm silken blended with 1T unsweetened cocoa powder and a lilttle stevia. It has 4 grams of carbs so also not too bad. I am hoping that tofu will not be a problem as I have never used it for contest prep. I will have two bananas to mix with the shakes pre and post workout plus my huge veggie salad for lunch and dinner with flax and some balsamic vinegar. If I need it I will do almond milk before bed. Should keep me under 70 grams of carbs for contest prep. (I don't count the green veggies) The best I got for three weeks out and losing my main food. Any feedback on this plan would be welcomed.

Have you tried the peanut flour from Trader Joe's yet? It tastes really good and it's pretty versatile. I personally don't like to use it too much because of the way nonorganic peanuts are grown. I just use it to switch things up a little bit. It's really cheap, and the numbers are okay on it. It may be a little too carby for you right now Paige, but here's the nutrition data for it:

http://www26.netrition.com/protein_plus_peanut_flour.html

I picked up LifeTime Life's Basic Plant Protein (pea, hemp, rice and chia) unsweetened vanilla. 22grams protein 2 carbs, 2 fiber so net 0, 106 cals, 1 fat and 43 sodium. I added water and a little stevia. It tastes excellent. Although a pound runs about 20-25 bucks. But with the minimal carbs and the great taste I feel that I have a viable alternative at least right now. Although I am not going to use it 8x a day due to the pricing. Still going to stick with some tofu for this contest. Really happy I found something good.

Recent email/exchange with TP re:gemma:

Hey again Paige, this would have just been in the most recent batch since we update our nutritional information with each new certificate of analysis that comes in with each new shipment. Thanks again and please feel free to reach us with any additional questions or requests,

-Carl

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Paige Levy wrote:

How long has it been that way? Does the current product I purchased in December have that level of sodium?

For what it's worth I've had borderline prehypertension for at least two years now, though I've been keeping it under control fairly well and I was surprised that it was so bad the week I was doing only gemma/rice shakes, steamed veggies, and slow cardio.

But it's just sodium. Not necessarily a concern for everyone and, while I'm going to switch to rice and soy protein in the future, this little bit of gemma I have left isn't going to kill me.

I don't think I said this earlier... thanks Paige!

Not to derail the thread, but how did that week work of protein shakes out for you Chris?
I dropped about 5 lbs and ended up looking quite a bit thinner in a good way, calipers and tanita both showed about a 1% drop in body fat. I've been slowly gaining it back on and am looking to do it again next week. It's a bit unnerving to only eat shakes and steamed veggies for more than a few days, at first it was fine and I laughed at how it was supposed to be difficult, but after 7 days I had it and started eating again (I originally planned on doing 10 days).

I was doing a modified PSMF similar to Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss or the *old* Velocity Diet. Basically 1.25-1.5g protein/lb of lbm + 1 tbsp flax oil + unlimited low carb veggies. (green beans, broccoli OK, potatoes NOT.)