Re-gaining control. It's on like Donkey Kong

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

robert
Site Admin

Re: Time to get bigger..After I have this surgery....

#271 Postby robert » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:02 am

Hope you recovery well.

Thanks for the update.

All the best to you my friend!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

MaryStella
Stegosaurus

#272 Postby MaryStella » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:02 pm

hoping your feeling a little better! :)

And you really can do crossfit anywhere so when your up and around we will talk about it more. I am glad you had such a good experience with it!

robert
Site Admin

#273 Postby robert » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:05 pm

How are you doing?

Hope you're recovering well.

RC

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Paige
Manatee

#274 Postby Paige » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:54 pm

I hope you are well.

djshrew
Gorilla

#275 Postby djshrew » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks everyone! I've been doing alright. A bit sore and using crutches is frustrating!!!! especially in the snow...

I was supposed to start my 8 week Physical therapy program this week but because of snow I have to start next week. I'll be in PT 3 times a week =( should be fun....

I was able to manage to get to the gym again on Monday and plan on going maybe M-W-F but at least Monday and Wednesday when I don't have any classes, maybe before I go to PT. As long as I don't put any weight on my right leg I can do whatever I want there, which is mostly machines for the time being since I can't carry weights and use the crutches at the same time. But other regulars at my gym offered to help me if I needed it. I had a lot of people starring at me on Monday when I was working out on crutches. maybe I lit the flame under some of their butts, lol.

side ramble- being on crutches I've had to use the elevator more and never realized how many lazy completely capable people wait to use the elevator when the staircase is right next to them...unbelievable!!

I had the post op and all went well, unfortunately my x-ray showed signs of impingement on the left side too which eventually could cause some of the same issue I've been having and explain by lack of flexibility in my hips and most likely my back pain. The doc said we'll wait to determine if I need to have surgery to correct the left side as well, if so hopefully it can wait awhile! I meet with him again sometime in March for another follow up.

I've decided that this year my main fitness goals are: stretch more (this is most likely my biggest downfall and is certainly not helping prevent injuries), increase my endurance, and of course grow.

and in life: just do and see all the things I've always wanted to do and see but for some reason just put off- even the little things. I guess live more in the moment. With school as my focus its been very easy to have tunnel vision and not relax as I should.

another side note: has anyone heard of or tried this bread?
http://julianbakery.com/low-carb-bread/ ... om-heaven/

Lean and Green
Elephant

#276 Postby Lean and Green » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:33 am

Hey you. Hope you're doing well. You'll get through this!!! Come out 10x stronger :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :boxer: :boxer:

I know what you mean by stretching. It truly does make a difference. Way to set those goals. I know you'll accomplish them and cannot wait to hear about your continued prgress in the upcoming entries. Yea!
Where do you get your protein?
http://www.VeganProteins.com

Joelk wrote:But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

MaryStella
Stegosaurus

#277 Postby MaryStella » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 pm

I feel your pain. I just got off of crutches from my surgery. What I did was just leave the cruthes and hop up the stairs or hop around the gym. Did a ton of pushups, pullups, every ab exercise know to man. 1 legged biking. benching, dips, shoulder presses, rowing, handstands, bar ab exercises. Another great thing is if you can find someone to throw a medicine ball around with you while you are seated. it is great abs and upper body work. If you can't find someone you can throw it off a wall and catch it although there are more variations if you have a workout partner even for just afew minutes. good luck hopefully you would be in that thing much longer.

djshrew
Gorilla

#278 Postby djshrew » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:27 am

MaryStella, I'll have to try that seated ball throw sometime, even if it's after I'm better =D

I did some bi's and tri's at the gym Wednesday and per order from my physical therapist, I tried the recumbent bike for about 5 mins. went well but noticed my ROM in my ankle that I sprained a few years ago is horrible! one more thing to stretch, lol

Today I'll do shoulders, try some "gentle" ab stuff. By gentle I mean no utilizing my hips too much or stopping if it's too painful. and go for 10 mins on the recumbent bike.

last semester of Grad school in underway...STRESS already! reading an entire textbook this weekend. At least it's interesting! on disability and deformity in the Graeco-Roman World. Oh and did I mention about 4 hours of statistics homework?!? fun stuff...

Thought I'd post a few pictures for good measure. The first one is when I met Robert for the first time in 2008 (?) and the other one I took Wednesday after my workout. My arms were at least half the size they are now! =D

djshrew
Gorilla

#279 Postby djshrew » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 am

and I'll just throw this in cause I like looking at it

djshrew
Gorilla

#280 Postby djshrew » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:50 am

Shoulder workout went well, felt great. I think I could push it harder but it's tough since I'm either sitting or standing on one leg. If anything its great for abs, right? lol.

I did try some additional ab stuff but nothing too crazy since most of them use the hip flexors more than I think I'm ready for.

also, did 10 mins. on the recumbent bike! yah me!! =)

now to write this dreaded paper.... a week into the semester and I already know it's going to be horrible!

robert
Site Admin

#281 Postby robert » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Awesome veins!!!!!

So sweet!

Keep rockin!

Catch up later this year when I get out to the east coast again. Great VBB team in the DC region!

Have a great week!

RC

Paige
Manatee

#282 Postby Paige » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:29 pm

I like the picture where you can see all those viens. Rocks!

djshrew
Gorilla

#283 Postby djshrew » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks! that pic was maybe 4 or 3 weeks out from my 1st competition. Hoping to get that vascularity again but keep my size. I'm not cutting until 8 weeks out this time and only doing steady cardio. seems I burn easily at this point..sure that will change with age though. lol

Haven't picked any shows to compete in this year. I was thinking of doing the same show I did last year and hoping to come in bigger. But I'd really like to change my season to before summer instead of after in August. But at this point it all depends on my progress with the leg.

MaryStella
Stegosaurus

#284 Postby MaryStella » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:46 pm

glad to hear your getting back at it!

lobsteriffic
Stegosaurus

#285 Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Wow great progress!

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”