Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:28 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Monday, January 31:
Attended a kickboxing class.
Grade: B+. I used 1 lb weights the entire time and put a good step forward. I got lost a couple of times. It could also be that the instructor was not the best.

Nutrition:
- Carrots, cucumber, apple
- Salad of green and yellow pepper, tomato, daikon sprouts, blueberries, avocado, green onion, tempeh, and brown rice on the side
- Grapefruit
- 1/4 cup navy beans (cooked), daikon sprouts, olive oil; clementine
- Grapefruit
- 1/2 cup navy beans (cooked), 1 serving tofu, tomato, olive oil
- Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries

Calories: 1,316
Fat: 36.4
Carbs: 208.9
Protein: 60.0
Grade: B. The fat from yesterday must have carried over to today, because I didn't go hungry once and am still feeling satisfied. I would have liked to see a higher protein intake and less calories to balance the past few days out.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #8
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:58 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Tuesday, February 1:
Attended a Cycle/Core class. 40 minutes of cycling + 20 minutes of core work.
Grade: B-. I am not as fit as I thought I was; my legs almost gave out a couple of times, and I had to rest a lot more than I expected I would. Cycling is tough! Who knew!

Nutrition:
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry), 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup soy protein powder
- 1 cup baby carrots, small cucumber
- 1 cup navy bean and tofu salad (+tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, green onion, EVOO), 1/2 cup brown rice (cooked)
- Luna bar sample (80 calories)
- 1/2 cup brown rice (cooked), 1/2 block (6.75oz) tofu, 1/2 cup navy beans (cooked), 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup navy bean and tofu salad
- clementine, kiwi
- apple, 2 clementines

Calories: 1,501
Fat: 29.2
Carbs: 251.4
Protein:73.8
Grade: B. I really need to get my protein levels up. I'm thinking about getting protein powder. I'm also going to invest in a multivitamin. Also, before I ate all of that fruit at the end of the day, my calorie intake was below my BMR. I just gotta have my fruit, ya know?

I met with a personal trainer today and he conducted a fit test. My body fat test showed a reading of 24.4%. I am looking to get down to 20.5%, a difference of 3.9%. That would take my weight to 123lbs, a difference of 5lbs. My basal metabolic rate is 1376. If I follow my nutrition and exercise plan, I can reach my goal in 6 weeks.

The personal trainer I worked with recommended that I not stick with the routine that I have been following since there is a greater risk of injury. I am meeting with him again tomorrow to formulate a new program more suitable for a beginner like me. Although I would love to meet with him twice a week, finances just will not allow for that to happen. Tomorrow will be the first of two sessions, and we'll see how things go from there.

Let the training begin! :boxer:

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #9
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 am 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Wednesday, February 2:
I worked with a personal trainer today. The don't have the sheet of paper that the routine we ran through is on, but let me tell you - it was intense.
Grade: A+. I worked hard.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,193
Fat: 33.9
Carbs: 186.2
Protein: 46.3
Grade: Erm...

Workout summary for Thursday, February 3:
I didn't go today. 1) My gym bag is not with me at the moment and 2) I'm still a little beat up from yesterday and 3) I just don't feel like it... :oops:
Grade: FAIL.

Nutrition:
Calories: 2,032
Fat: 55.7
Carbs: 332.1
Protein: 83.1
Grade: D. I can't stop eating!!! I don't know what to do...

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #10
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:17 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Friday, February 4:
- Walked in 2 feet of snow for a few hours.
- I found this website called bodyrock.tv and followed this marine corps workout. It's really motivating to see someone incredibly fit performing the exercises. I see the ideal and reinforce it with each exercise I tackle.
Grade: A-. I am glad I chose to workout today despite the fact I didn't have a way to get to the gym. I think I pushed myself a good amount, as well.

Nutrition:
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry), 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup soymilk
- Apple
- 3/2 cup navy beans (cooked), some alfalfa sprouts, lime juice, drizzle olive oil
- Banana
- 1 cup sprouts, 1/2 block tofu, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, 1/4 avocado, drizzle sesame oil, sesame seeds
- Grapefruit
- 1.5 cup soymilk

Calories: 1,423
Fat: 41.2
Carbs: 213.6
Protein: 68.0
Grade: B. I stopped eating after 4 (cup of soymilk as an exception) to give my digestive system a rest. I think it was a wise decision, considering how late into the night I ate fruit. I've been drinking a lot of tea since then (green tea, yerba mate, nettle).

It's weird being so calculated with my routine and diet. If I stopped keeping a detailed journal, I think I would be pretty lost and not able to trust my instinct as much. Good thing I am keeping one... !

I am going to try and not look in the mirror for the next six weeks. Correction: I will not look in the mirror for the next six weeks. I'll base my level of health and fitness solely on how I feel. I have become a little obsessed lately with checking my image out, so it's definitely time to give my eyes a rest for a while. Hopefully the next time I see my reflection I'll be pleasantly surprised and pleased.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #11
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:06 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Saturday, February 5
- Walked 2 miles
- Followed the "Swimming in my own sweat" workout. Basically swung a sand bag around and did 155 burpees. :shock:
Grade: B+. I took my time with the workout, but at least I completed it in less than an hour. It was fun; my body could uphold the intensity whereas a month ago it would have petered out halfway through.

Nutrition:
- 2.5 cup butternut squash soup (blended with onion, celery, carrots, and potato), tempeh, quinoa, dry roasted cauliflower and asparagus
- 3/4 cup soymilk, chia seeds
- 1 cup bell pepper soup (blended with sunflower seeds, cucumber, celery), 1 cup raw spinach, 1/4 cup chickpeas (cooked)
- A few strawberries
- Kiwi berry smoothie (kiwi, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, soymilk, tofu)
- 1 cup edamame beans (in pod), 4 oz tofu
- 1 clementine

Calories: 1,351
Fat: 45.8
Carbs: 190.1
Protein: 72.1
Grade: B-. Fat was a little high today, and protein could still be higher.

Workout summary for Sunday, February 6
- Attended a Zumba class
Grade: B+. It was a lot of fun.

Nutrition:
- 1/2 cup butternut squash soup, 3 oz tempeh, 3/4 cup quinoa, cauliflower, asparagus
- 1/2 cup bell pepper soup, 3.5 oz tofu, 1 cup sprouts, 1 cup spinach, 1/4 cup chickpeas (cooked)
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cup butternut squash soup, 1/4 cup chickpeas (cooked)
- 2 clementines
- Kiwi berry smoothie

Calories: 1,207
Fat: 37.4
Carbs: 176.2
Protein: 63.8
Grade: B+. Let's get that protein up and fat down.

Last edited by Veganarchy on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #12
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:09 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Monday, February 7:
I met with the same personal trainer today.
- Medicine ball push-ups
- Chops (these suck)
- Lunges
- Rubber tube walk
- Shoulder press with rubber tube
- Lunge, extension, curl, raise
- Pull-ups
- Dips
- Squat machine
- Rows
I have the hard copy with the weight, reps, and sets recorded, but I'm too lazy to put it up...
Grade: B+. Weight training is constantly testing my mental strength, but especially did it today. Today's routine made me think about applying what goes on in my head during training to my daily life. For instance, pushing harder than I think I can, not giving up, challenging myself, and testing my limits. Could I have pushed harder today? I'm honestly not sure... only more experience will tell.

Nutrition:
Well, I caved and bought some protein powder. This stuff is rice protein. We'll see how it supplements my current diet. I also bought a multivitamin. Is the organic stuff expensive or what?!

Calories:1,351
Fat: 54.3
Carbs: 168.2
Protein: 71.6
Grade: B+. My fat content was a bit high. I love me my olive oil, though...

I am going to start offering daily tips!

Tip #1: Midnight cravings
If you're still hungry at the end of the day but have maxed out on your calorie (if you're counting), try sucking on a piece of hard candy or chewing a piece of gum. This will keep your mouth occupied and curb your craving. You can also try drinking a tea. It will give your taste buds some flavor while supplying your system with healing benefits, not to mention keep you hydrated.

Post subject: Re: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:10 pm 
Stegosaurus

I like the tea tip, very true!

Post subject: Top #1: Midnight cravings (and tea!)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 pm 
Rabbit

lobsteriffic wrote:
I like the tea tip, very true!

I'm always up for a cup of green tea, yerba mate, or nettle. That's what is around my house these days. Thanks for the input - for a while I felt like I was posting to myself!

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #13
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Tuesday, February 8:
I went on a brisk walk through a regional park with my dad today in 4 degree weather! It was only about 1.5 miles.
Grade: B+. I was forgiving of my very light workout today since I was pretty sore from the day before.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,491
Fat: 36.7
Carbs: 235.1
Protein:76.2
Grade: C. I went over my calories this day. One medium apple packs a lot of calories, surprisingly. And I had two!

Workout summary for Wednesday, February 9
- Attended a kickboxing class (60 minutes).
- Attended a core class (30 minutes).
Grade: A. I am starting to see improvement in my body, and didn't want to go to class today because of it! But I reminded myself that I am going to keep my current routine going for at the very least the next two months, even if I am somewhat satisfied of how I look. I certainly feel a ton healthier.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,315
Fat: 45.0
Carbs: 160.1
Protein: 82.9
Grade: A. I didn't necessarily need the hundred calories, but I wanted my protein level to be higher.

I just finished a bowl of oatmeal mixed with soymilk, kiwi, and hemp seeds. I now consider this my favorite meal! It's super good for you and has a protein punch as well! It also is very creamy, a sensation that my mouth missed very much.

Tip #2: Mirror obsession
Try not looking in the mirror for one week. The next time you do check yourself out, you'll be surprised at how much your body has changed. This will be a huge motivating force for you to keep working hard! If you can go a week without looking, try an entire month! Six weeks?!

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:56 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Thursday, February 10:
NA

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,538
Fat: 52.9
Carbs: 209.8
Protein: 82.1

Workout summary for Friday, February 11:
NA

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,482
Fat: 38.0
Carbs: 256.9
Protein: 55.3

Workout summary for Saturday, February 12:
Attended a cardio kickboxing class.
Grade: A.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,313
Fat: 22.6
Carbs: 225.1
Protein: 69.1

Workout summary for Sunday, February 13:
NA

Nutrition:
Calories: 2,020
Fat: 85.8
Carbs: 289.5
Protein: 62.3
Grade: I don't think I even have to say.

Workout summary Monday, February 14:
Attended a cardio kickboxing class.
Grade: B-. I ate too soon before the class and subsequently had a stomach ache during it.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,453
Fat: 35.4
Carbs: 245.6
Protein: 65.8
Grade: C. I didn't keep track of everything today so it's a rough guesstimate.

I have been working on a few papers these past few days which is why I've been working out less (less time) and eating more (emotional eating like WOAH!!). I'm pretty ashamed as to how I've been treating my body these past few days, but I am considering this my first major uh-oh that made me reconsider my lifestyle choices. I didn't know that eating more when I'm under stress, or emotional eating, was a problem for me until now. I will have to keep an eye on myself during rough patches so this does not happen again. Also, I think it's a good idea to have some kind of healthy and fulfilling "treat" lying around the house for when I get a craving. This way I can eat one serving of the "treat" instead of trying to compensate by eating five clementines.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #15
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:19 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Tuesday, February 15:
Attended a FIT class (Functional Integrated Training) (Challenge yourself beyond traditional strength training with this advanced, total body functional strength training class. We will challenge your muscular endurance as well as balance and coordination by moving through all planes of motion with multi-joint and compound exercises.)

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,126
Fat: 30.9
Carbs: 175.1
Protein: 50.8

Workout summary for Wednesday, February 16:
- Attended a cardio kickboxing class (60 min).
- Attended a core class (30 min).

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,186
Fat: 39.7
Carbs: 159.3
Protein: 58.2

Workout summary for Thursday, February 17:
Attended a Hatha Yoga 2 class.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,098
Fat: 38.6
Carbs: 137.1
Protein: 70.3

Workout summary for Friday, February 18:
Attended a "Mixx" class (Combine cardio kickboxing, athletic drills, high-impact moves and low-impact/dynamic moves and you have one, high-energy, tough cardio workout. Sprinkle in some fun, stimulating funk moves and you
have The Mixx.)

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,092
Fat: 25.0
Carbs: 174.0
Protein: 59.9

Overall workout grade: A
Overall nutrition grade: A

I've been feeling surprisingly excellent for consuming a couple-hundred less calories and going to the gym every day!! How is this possible? I have no idea! Perhaps it was fueling up so much a couple days before... my body might have needed the extra energy to get me through this week.

Tip #3: False hunger and liquids
Hungry? Or just dehydrated? Many people mistake hunger pangs as a dehydration, so get drinking! Water, of course. Stay away from any other form of liquid unless it's tea. Green tea is known for its weight loss benefits due to an increased metabolism, amongst other health benefits such as increased energy, blockage of fat absorption, boosted immune system, healthier skin, and more. On the other hand, many studies have found coffee as preventative to weight loss. Also, juices should be avoided as they are very high in sugar. Fresh juice is a different story as it contains more nutrients and health benefits that are often lost in the bottling process. In my opinion, it's better you stick to eating the whole fruit to begin with. Juice fasting (juice feasting, in my book) is another story that I might talk about later.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:20 pm 
Rabbit

Workout Summary for Saturday, February 19:
- Attended a FIT class (Functional Integrated Training) (Challenge yourself beyond traditional strength training with this advanced, total body functional strength training class. We will challenge your muscular endurance as well as balance and coordination by moving through all planes of motion with multi-joint and compound exercises.)
- Attended a Zumba class.
Grade: A-. I didn't give the first class my all since I knew I was going to take another class that day. I put a lot of energy into the second one, but not as much as I would have liked. I was in the corner of the room, which made it hard to follow the instructor. I think my workout suffered as a consequence; I got a little frustrated!

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,189
Fat: 33.1
Carbs: 173.1
Protein: 63.1
Grade: A-. Up tha proteeein.

Workout Summary for Sunday, February 19:
NA. Sunday is my rest and recover day.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,312
Fat:41.0
Carbs: 174.8
Protein: 73.3
Grade: B-. I ate most of my calories in a big clump near the end of the day... over the course of four hours, but still. I should plan more to ensure that I space out my meals. Now I'm stuck to tea for the rest of the night! Good thing I bought some organic green tea at the co-op today.

Tip #4: Strict diet without sweets and oils
Make sure you have some lenience with your diet. Not allowing yourself any treats (cookies, cake, nuts, oil) can really drive a person crazy and you may end up binging one day only to be very regretful right afterward! Don't wait until the regretful act - plan accordingly and incorporate some healthy sweets and oils into your meal plan. Balance them out by eating fewer calories the day before or after. Your craving and your body will thank you in the long run.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #17
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:39 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Monday, February 21:
- Attended Strictly Strength (strength training class).
Grade: A

Nutrition:

Calories: 1,282
Fat: 39.4
Carbs: 179.8
Protein: 74.9
Grade: B.

I made some zucchini bread today, and the batch turned out horribly due to some modifications I made to the recipe. This is my most recent epic failure... there goes 200 untasty calories down the drain, and many more to come...

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #17
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Tuesday, February 22:
Attended a kickboxing class. This instructor rocks!
Grade: A-.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,291
Fat: 46.8
Carbs: 171.0
Protein: 65.2
Grade: A-. Fat content was high due to olive oil, peanut butter, and avocado all in one day.

I've noticed the changes in my body are slowing down. It's almost been two month since I've been working out, so I'm not a beginner anymore. That means I'm less likely to lose fat and gain muscle "at the same time." Now it's more of a maintenance of my workout routine to stay in the current shape than I am in rather than pushing hard to get the figure that I want. Don't get me wrong, my body could still go through some major transformation but I'm happy to take it down a notch for a while and use my energy to nail a job and this internship that I've been eyeballing.

Post subject: Veganarchy's Lifestyle Journal entry #18
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:19 pm 
Rabbit

Workout summary for Wednesday, February 23:
NA. I went to the gym to get a haircut but woke up too late to get to the class! Whoops.

Nutrition:
Calories: 1,389
Fat: 45.0
Carbs: 188.5
Protein: 76.0

Workout summary for Thursday, February 24:
Attended a FIT class (Functional Integrated Training: Challenge yourself beyond traditional strength training with this advanced, total body functional strength training class. We will challenge your muscular endurance as well as balance and coordination by moving through all planes of motion with multi-joint and compound exercises.)
Grade: A! I felt great during class today, probably because I took yesterday off. My legs were BURNING and it felt excellent. My shoulders, on the other hand, could use some work. I think I was lifting too heavy (exercise: lifting body bar from shoulders to waist, 15 lbs).

Nutrition:
- 9: 00 - ½ cup dry oatmeal, ½ cup soy milk, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, 1 oz kiwi
- 12: 00 - 4 oz steamed broccoli, 1 Italian tomato, 1 oz onion, 1/2 Serrano pepper, lemon juice, ACV, black pepper, turmeric
- 2:00 - 3 oz asparagus, 3 oz portabella mushroom, 3 oz eggplant, 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 1 piece of hemp bread
- 5:30 - Smoothie: 1 cup soy milk, 4 oz strawberries, ¾ banana, ½ tbsp rice protein, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 4 oz tofu, 2 oz spinach
- 7:00 - 4 oz baby carrots, 3 oz cucumber
- 8:00 - 1 slice chocolate zucchini bread (the other loaves turned out okay!!)
And green tea and water all day!

Calories: 1,097
Fat: 33.6
Carbs: 148.1
Protein: 68.0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next